The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 29, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #15,303 of 18,652
Any idea how JDS C5 compares to Cayin C5 paired with DX50? http://www.head-fi.org/t/738766/review-cayin-c5-a-new-reference-in-portable-amplifiers

What I`m looking out of portable amp is big soundstage that isn`t only streched in width but also has great depth towards front. Considering buying amp for DX50 (SU 1.3.3) + Fidelio X1.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #15,304 of 18,652
Hello guys! My DX50 just arrived and wow does It pack a punch. And I am happy to report that the DAC function works fine for me with the newest driver on the iBasso site (Windows 8.1 64bit)
gs1000.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #15,305 of 18,652
Hmmm, starting to look like DAC driver has been optimized/tuned on/for Windows 8 ...which sucks imho. Going to stay on W7x64 for long time and so far it seems to have problems. Haven`t tried this new driver myself yet but will do soon and report back.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #15,306 of 18,652
  Hmmm, starting to look like DAC driver has been optimized/tuned on/for Windows 8 ...which sucks imho. Going to stay on W7x64 for long time and so far it seems to have problems. Haven`t tried this new driver myself yet but will do soon and report back.

A small off top regarding updating Windows - Windows 10 seem a lot better in terms of audio architecture so far. Using Direct Audio and using 24/192 FLAC in Foobar 2000 with high-priority, 64bit ASIO give a much closer sound than ever before. The crappy features of the Windows 8 and 8.1 interface are gone and forgotten. This OS is a winner and I highly recommend it to all W7 and W8 users. It is perfectly functional on all my hardware so far and never showed any problem. The speed of Windows 10 is incomparable to previous versions too.

Cheers!

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #15,307 of 18,652
I just installed the drivers and it worked. what did I do differently? I just manually updated the drivers:

1 - plugged in the player in DAC mode
2 - went to Device Manager
3 - updated drivers for the Mango USB Interface and the iBasso Mango Hifi Audio Device:

Mango Usb driver is in the subfolder "x64", just right click the mango USB interface in Device Manager, choose update drivers and browse files look for the "mango_usb" subfolder in the "x64" folder. click next. done :)

The same goes for  "iBasso Mango Hifi Audio Device" - right click on it in the device manager and click update driver. browse files and choose the "mango_ad" folder in the same "x64" folder. click next. also done :)

Close the Device Manager, right click on the volume icon and click playback devices. set ibasso as the default playback device and voilà :). also, I'd recommend to use WASAPI if you're using Foobar2000 as default output option > wasapi push speakers (ibasso hifi device). set bitrate for 24 and you're done.

that's all. hope this helps. I don't know why I couldn't install it properly yesterday, all I did was just uninstall both mango usb interface and the iBasso drivers... I saw in device manager that even though ibasso as sound device was installed properly and there was no yellow triangle thingy next to it in the device manager, this triangle was still present for the Mango USB interface. that's where updating the drivers manually idea came from. and it worked :)

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #15,308 of 18,652

A small off top regarding updating Windows - Windows 10 seem a lot better in terms of audio architecture so far. Using Direct Audio and using 24/192 FLAC in Foobar 2000 with high-priority, 64bit ASIO give a much closer sound than ever before. The crappy features of the Windows 8 and 8.1 interface are gone and forgotten. This OS is a winner and I highly recommend it to all W7 and W8 users. It is perfectly functional on all my hardware so far and never showed any problem. The speed of Windows 10 is incomparable to previous versions too.

Cheers!

that's good to hear. will upgrade when the more stable version comes out though :D

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #15,309 of 18,652
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-5-0/15225#post_10982478

Merci pour votre l'instructions du "workaround" (Je suis desole, mon francais est tres mal).  I got the first couple of steps to work and as you can see below, I had to change the path from 7.0 to 7.1, but then got the following error:

I thought the new, non beta, DX50 driver would finally allow me to use the DX50 as a DAC, but I guess it won't be happening anytime soon.  I won't bother with e-mailing Ibasso's tech support since they never responded to my previous mail inquiry asking where I could purchase a replacement digital coaxial cable.  In any case, thank again for the help.  

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #15,310 of 18,652
  I just installed the drivers and it worked. what did I do differently? I just manually updated the drivers:

1 - plugged in the player in DAC mode
2 - went to Device Manager
3 - updated drivers for the Mango USB Interface and the iBasso Mango Hifi Audio Device:

Mango Usb driver is in the subfolder "x64", just right click the mango USB interface in Device Manager, choose update drivers and browse files look for the "mango_usb" subfolder in the "x64" folder. click next. done :)

The same goes for  "iBasso Mango Hifi Audio Device" - right click on it in the device manager and click update driver. browse files and choose the "mango_ad" folder in the same "x64" folder. click next. also done :)

Close the Device Manager, right click on the volume icon and click playback devices. set ibasso as the default playback device and voilà :). also, I'd recommend to use WASAPI if you're using Foobar2000 as default output option > wasapi push speakers (ibasso hifi device). set bitrate for 24 and you're done.

that's all. hope this helps. I don't know why I couldn't install it properly yesterday, all I did was just uninstall both mango usb interface and the iBasso drivers... I saw in device manager that even though ibasso as sound device was installed properly and there was no yellow triangle thingy next to it in the device manager, this triangle was still present for the Mango USB interface. that's where updating the drivers manually idea came from. and it worked :)

Seems to be installer problem then. I`m going to try straight on manual install later.

Edit: Was curious if it installs on my PC with simple installer method... result... SERIOUSLY IBASSO?!?!?! I haven`t seen BSOD loooong time and after click on install... BSOD. The thing is that before it showed up as Mango USB Interface and iBasso Mango Hifi Audio Device... after that failed install it doesn`t show up like this anymore. Only as Mango USB device and that`s it, no ibasso under audio devices, even after several uninstalls and reboots. LMAO... not. 

Edit2: Ok, after lot of messing around got finally manually installed those new drivers. Now some important notes:

1) ASIO4ALL does not work with these drivers. Trying to use it as output with any program causes BSOD.
2) If need to use ASIO, then only one option seems to work out of three - ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver. Using other 2 causes immediate BSOD.

3) Be sure that before connecting DX50 as DAC, setup all programs used properly. Using any unsuitable output method causes again immediate BSOD.
For example, with VLC output Default and DirectX audio output (Speakers: iBasso Mango Audio device) works ok. 

Despite getting it to work... it pretty much sucks. Videos have noticeable LAG between audio and picture. Also, if anything requires more payload to memory/cpu then audio playing starts to jitter VERY noticeably. Maybe if ASIO4ALL would work, then I could adjust buffer and latency and MAYBE lag would be gone. But atm - only in dreams.

Bye-bye DX50 as USB-DAC. For that going to use my Aune T1, which works flawless with any output method and plugin.

I still love my DX50 as portable player though. Luckily in that regime it works flawless.

Edit: forgot to mention that problem seems to be in mango_ad drivers (detected on BSOD). USB drivers seem ok.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #15,311 of 18,652
Testing out the 1.0 DAC drivers and they work fine finally on my Windows 7 64 bit. Volume is controlled though the DX50.

Theres a slight delay that i was afraid of but its not disastrously bad. About 0.25 seconds or so. Though when i set the output to 24/192 the delay gets appreciably longer. 

Also im not sure if this is a bug or what, but pressing the play button on the DX50 while in DAC mode freezes up the DX50 and requires a hard reboot. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #15,312 of 18,652
  Testing out the 1.0 DAC drivers and they work fine finally on my Windows 7 64 bit. Volume is controlled though the DX50.

Theres a slight delay that i was afraid of but its not disastrously bad. About 0.25 seconds or so. Though when i set the output to 24/192 the delay gets appreciably longer. 

Also im not sure if this is a bug or what, but pressing the play button on the DX50 while in DAC mode freezes up the DX50 and requires a hard reboot. 

Well, to be honest, delay while just playing m,usic isn't really that big of a deal... as for videos... well I just synced the audio in media player classic. only thing left is online videos, which I can't do much about...

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #15,314 of 18,652
  Seems to be installer problem then. I`m going to try straight on manual install later.

Edit: Was curious if it installs on my PC with simple installer method... result... SERIOUSLY IBASSO?!?!?! I haven`t seen BSOD loooong time and after click on install... BSOD. The thing is that before it showed up as Mango USB Interface and iBasso Mango Hifi Audio Device... after that failed install it doesn`t show up like this anymore. Only as Mango USB device and that`s it, no ibasso under audio devices, even after several uninstalls and reboots. LMAO... not. 

Edit2: Ok, after lot of messing around got finally manually installed those new drivers. Now some important notes:

1) ASIO4ALL does not work with these drivers. Trying to use it as output with any program causes BSOD.
2) If need to use ASIO, then only one option seems to work out of three - ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver. Using other 2 causes immediate BSOD.

3) Be sure that before connecting DX50 as DAC, setup all programs used properly. Using any unsuitable output method causes again immediate BSOD.
For example, with VLC output Default and DirectX audio output (Speakers: iBasso Mango Audio device) works ok. 

Despite getting it to work... it pretty much sucks. Videos have noticeable LAG between audio and picture. Also, if anything requires more payload to memory/cpu then audio playing starts to jitter VERY noticeably. Maybe if ASIO4ALL would work, then I could adjust buffer and latency and MAYBE lag would be gone. But atm - only in dreams.

Bye-bye DX50 as USB-DAC. For that going to use my Aune T1, which works flawless with any output method and plugin.

I still love my DX50 as portable player though. Luckily in that regime it works flawless.

Edit: forgot to mention that problem seems to be in mango_ad drivers (detected on BSOD). USB drivers seem ok.

I do not understand your problem, for me, the driver may run as Winamp without trouble

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #15,315 of 18,652
Because You are not using ASIO as I see. I do. Directsound goes through OS internal Kernel mixer instead sending data straight to DX50 and I do not want it because imo it reduces sound quality.
Actually I`m not sure if that ASIO DirectX Full Duplex sends data straight to DAC or not because I have never had to use ASIO with this option.
I know many say that they hear no difference but I do (at least with my W7x64 and ELE-ELD02 / Aune T1). I know I can select other output plugin and adjust the buffer. Only thing I forgot to try is set iBasso audio device to lower resolution like 16/44 and test how it works then. With playing only audio I don`t mind slight lag but with videos (especially HD DVD concerts) I do find that lag VERY annoying. Also forgot to try KSP. Will test later once more but I actually don`t care much about DX50 USB-DAC drivers since I probably don`t use it anyway with my PC`s and Aune T1 has better SQ.
At work I have Linux based OS`s and DAC drivers don`t work with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back