The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 24, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #15,047 of 18,652
Can someone please elaberate on the FLAC only firmware mod?

There are different components/libraries involved in three different scenarios:
1. FLAC only - this means that a minimum amount of additional libraries are used in order to eliminate their negative effect on the sonic characteristics. Only FLAC format files are supported other lossless formats are not played.
2. Lossless - all lossless formats/containers are supported, mp3 is not supported, the sonic characteristics are better than when the mp3 library/components are loaded. FLAC only has better sound quality if you are using flac files anyway.
3. MP3 - all libraries/components are loaded, all formats are supported the sound is still far more neutral and pro-level than stock.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #15,049 of 18,652

There are different components/libraries involved in three different scenarios:
1. FLAC only - this means that a minimum amount of additional libraries are used in order to eliminate their negative effect on the sonic characteristics. Only FLAC format files are supported other lossless formats are not played.
2. Lossless - all lossless formats/containers are supported, mp3 is not supported, the sonic characteristics are better than when the mp3 library/components are loaded. FLAC only has better sound quality if you are using flac files anyway.
3. MP3 - all libraries/components are loaded, all formats are supported the sound is still far more neutral and pro-level than stock.

So the idea is that even supporting other codecs taints the decoding of flac files?

Maybe the bits of the lossy libraries giving off a miasma that's affecting the lossless codecs?

Or does a firmware with less libraries available to load give the music room to breathe?

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #15,051 of 18,652
I recently purchased the dx50 mainly on the reviews I read on this website I never realized they had quality portable music players other than apple, anyway I purchased the dx50 knowing it had some software flaws but from what I had read it is an excellent player that keeps getting better with each update. my dx50 came with ver 1.5 and right out of the box it performed well, I installed a 64gig card and started adding all kinds of music well I noticed that some of the music files I downloaded were no longer working, I would pick an alblum to play it would then scan media files and go back to the one I played earlier after deleting and reinstalling music files I still had the same results music that played earlier would no longer play, I finally decided to do a reset of the dx50, not only did it solve my problem I know have the dx50 going back to the last song I played in the spot I left off, I know from reading about the dx50 on this website that  was one of the problems a lot of you complained about. now if they would only do something about the playlists.
thanks to this forum I now have a very good portable music player to take my music with me wherever I go with exceptional sound and storage capability. wwould I recommend this player to a friend absolutly

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #15,052 of 18,652
Just recieved the DX50 and everything is included (silicone case...even a wall charger) but no warranty card. Ordered via Amazon.

Should I be concerned?

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #15,053 of 18,652
Silicon case is included with original package but wall charger? First time hearing it. Maybe You share exact link where You bought it from? 

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #15,057 of 18,652
  Silicon case is included with original package but wall charger? First time hearing it. Maybe You share exact link where You bought it from? 

I contacted the seller and found out that since it is an authorized US seller (as is the case with most sellers on Amazon) they do not include the warranty card, as you go directly through them. 

The silicone case has replaced the nylon bag since the introduction of the DX90.

They through in the charger into the package (it was a stand alone item in the shipping box, although I didn't pay extra for it).

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #15,058 of 18,652

However, there are a bunch of SACD rips in DSD/DSF/DFF 1 bit 2.8 Mhz floating around and I can state that they sound very good indeed, even though I have to down-sample them to FLAC 24/176 to get them to play on the iBasso.  They sound better than lower hi-res releases of the same material, and than 16/44  Is it the mix or the quality or...?  Can't/won't say.  But I compare a "regular" hi-res copy of, say, Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain 24/88.2, with an SACD ISO 1 bit copy that is brought down to 24/176 and boy, can you tell the difference. Big time. Let alone my 16/44 CD rip.  

I can also say that I have had some hi-res 24 bit David Bowie and it sounded like crap when compared to a regular 16/44 rip.   I guess it depends on source, and method, and your player and your listening device.  At least one place selling hi-res material has a reputation of putting out "hi-res" that is sourced from low-res material.  Buyer beware.  

Hi Olddude,
a bit off-topic but just wondered if you had any recommendations for some of the SACDs? I've just pulled the trigger on some Westone W40s and paired with the DX50 they're amazing. So I thought I'd see what's out there. I have a fantastic 24/44 copy Blonde on Blonde and that's piqued my interest. Disc space be damned!!

It's a pity the Bowie SACDs aren't up to standard. I'd love a hi-res version of Station to Station and Young Americans

Thanks 

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #15,059 of 18,652
Wow. Just sat down to listen to some Daft Punk, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis and this player is the real deal. Firmware version 1.5 is very stable (made sure my SD card was formatted and song tags completed).

Feeding some Carbo Tenores right now, see how the Havi B3 Pro's sound tomorrow and decide on which pair I'll keep.

Thanks for the generious support this forum shares.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #15,060 of 18,652

Hi Olddude,
a bit off-topic but just wondered if you had any recommendations for some of the SACDs? I've just pulled the trigger on some Westone W40s and paired with the DX50 they're amazing. So I thought I'd see what's out there. I have a fantastic 24/44 copy Blonde on Blonde and that's piqued my interest. Disc space be damned!!

It's a pity the Bowie SACDs aren't up to standard. I'd love a hi-res version of Station to Station and Young Americans

Thanks 

My Blonde On Blonde is 24/88.2, and it is very good.  So are Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 at the same res.   I got some 24/96 Grateful Dead and it sounds superb.  Of the recent SACDs, Derek & The Dominos' Layla is incredible.  Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms is very very good,  Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and Let's Get It On are very good, Miles Davis' Sketches Of Spain is incredible,  the Peter Gabriel albums are very very good, Steely Dan's Aja and Gaucho are incredible, there are some good Stevie Wonders, a Tears For Fears' Songs From The Big Chair that is very good, The Band's Music From Big Pink is incredible but The Band was a bit of a letdown (the master tapes have been missing for years), The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds is incredible, the Rolling Stones' Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Between The Buttons are incredible, but I was let down by Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die, which had great reviews.  My reviews are based on down samples to 24/176 from 1bit, as my iBasso won't play DSD/DSF/DFF.  But the full SACD files sure sound good played through my Oppo 103, Pioneer amp and Kef speakers.   Depending on what blogs you read, I am right on or full of crap, as people argue about which version(s) sound(s) the best.  But I can sure hear how good this stuff sounds.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back