The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #14,777 of 18,652
Agree, in .5 beta IRR ON is noticeably better than older versions.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #14,778 of 18,652
I got 1.3.3 installed, thanks for your advice. I have a mixture of various formats a lot of them AAC but I can still tell a difference, it seems a bit brighter than straight forward 1.5.0 but it still has a punch. Really like it. Have 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 too just to try out at some point. Who made these custom firmwares as they are very good?

The playlist import feature is very good too. I don't like not being able to name your playlists via the built in playlist feature but I have installed Foobar and have added a couple and they are named and easy to find. Love it.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #14,780 of 18,652
Hi guys,

I see everybody enjoying the sound unlocked versions ( thanks to medmitry)

I will have to try it eventually but i need to know,

Was there any cwm version released to work with rockbox ?

Also if it works with flac only , what happens to the other formats on the interface, it doesn't show them ? Or it shows them but gives an error when playing ?

Thanks

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #14,781 of 18,652
Just tried 1.3.5, gotta say I like 1.3.3 better (remember I use an amp).  FLAC/irr ON/312 for both.  .5 felt thin, I'm listening to a 24 bit Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde from the SACD set and a lot of the edge of the soundstage thump was missing.  I couldn't hear the air percussion as the drums were being hit and the piano keys were being pounded.  Bass seems to be there, but lessened.  I'm not a basshead by any means but I do enjoy "feeling" the music if the thump is there in the mix.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #14,784 of 18,652
Some updated thoughts about SU firmware.

* FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings with 1.3.3 sounds better than 1.3.5beta with same settings. 

* In case of 1.3.5beta, FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default setting sounds better than with IRR OFF.

* FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default settings with 1.3.5beta seems to have more micro-detail and very neutral/flat sound signature with nothing noticeably boosted or recessed.
   .5beta sounds kind of boring but not in bad way.
   Still, maybe those are just my sensitive ears, but I think .5beta has more information in highs region and gets littlebit exhausting with longer listening with this setting. 
   After about 10min listening to Tesseract - Altered state and I feel fatigue by highs region.

* Setting CPU frequency to 312kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) turns sound littlebit softer/warmer/fuller and for example brings guitars more into focus but highs region still
   has too much/bright information going on for my ears and gets exhausting. Still lacks littlebit dynamics and musicality. Littlebit airiness is also gained I think.

* Setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) seems to bring back some airiness compared to 312kHz and lose littlebit intimacy in exchange.
   Highs still too "informative" but tinybit better.

* Turning IRR OFF and setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta seems to bring back littlebit dynamics and highs region seems little more pleasant.
   Littlebit airiness returns. 
   Compared to IRR On + CPU default, some of the soundstage from "back of the head" seems to be "returned".
   I personally like this setting most with 1.3.5beta.

I`m assuming that analytical listeners will prefer 1.3.5beta with FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-312kHz.
But for enjoyable listening with more dynamics and musicality, listeners will probably prefer 1.3.3 with FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings.

Comparing was done with Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1 16Ohm. I used all the time DX50 @ mid gain.

.5beta seems to lack littlebit dynamics and musicality plus too much going on in highs region IMO.
 Who knows, maybe I`m going crazy with trying/comparing all those settings
biggrin.gif
 Anyway, I will probably return to 1.3.3 @ FLAC/irr OFF/CPU default.
Atm going to run .5beta @ FLAC / IRR OFF / 408kHz for some time.

Of course these are just my ears and subjective opinion but I hope it helps someone :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #14,786 of 18,652
  Some updated thoughts about SU firmware.

* FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings with 1.3.3 sounds better than 1.3.5beta with same settings. 

* In case of 1.3.5beta, FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default setting sounds better than with IRR OFF.

* FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default settings with 1.3.5beta seems to have more micro-detail and very neutral/flat sound signature with nothing noticeably boosted or recessed.
   .5beta sounds kind of boring but not in bad way.
   Still, maybe those are just my sensitive ears, but I think .5beta has more information in highs region and gets littlebit exhausting with longer listening with this setting. 
   After about 10min listening to Tesseract - Altered state and I feel fatigue by highs region.

* Setting CPU frequency to 312kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) turns sound littlebit softer/warmer/fuller and for example brings guitars more into focus but highs region still
   has too much/bright information going on for my ears and gets exhausting. Still lacks littlebit dynamics and musicality. Littlebit airiness is also gained I think.

* Setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) seems to bring back some airiness compared to 312kHz and lose littlebit intimacy in exchange.
   Highs still too "informative" but tinybit better.

* Turning IRR OFF and setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta seems to bring back littlebit dynamics and highs region seems little more pleasant.
   Littlebit airiness returns. 
   Compared to IRR On + CPU default, some of the soundstage from "back of the head" seems to be "returned".
   I personally like this setting most with 1.3.5beta.

I`m assuming that analytical listeners will prefer 1.3.5beta with FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-312kHz.
But for enjoyable listening with more dynamics and musicality, listeners will probably prefer 1.3.3 with FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings.

Comparing was done with Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1 16Ohm. I used all the time DX50 @ mid gain.

.5beta seems to lack littlebit dynamics and musicality plus too much going on in highs region IMO.
 Who knows, maybe I`m going crazy with trying/comparing all those settings
biggrin.gif
 Anyway, I will probably return to 1.3.3 @ FLAC/irr OFF/CPU default.
Atm going to run .5beta @ FLAC / IRR OFF / 408kHz for some time.

Of course these are just my ears and subjective opinion but I hope it helps someone :wink:

Well, you may actually be going crazy, lol, but as far as your analysis of the DX50 1.3.3 vs 1.3.5 firmwares, I agree 100% with what you have stated (and I am using a completely different setup than what you are). As you said, everyone's ears are different, but I seem to be hearing the exact same things that you are with these firmwares.

I will be sticking with 1.3.3, FLAC / IRR Off / CPU - Default, as I feel that gives me the best overall sound that I have heard so far out of the DX50.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14,787 of 18,652
Well, I also already went back to 1.3.3 @ FLAC / irr OFF / CPU default. Couldn`t listen longer with those "highs" and lack of dynamics. I felt I was not enjoying music as before.
Dead Letter Circus - This is The Warning sounded harsh and those guitar decay/reverb riffs weren`t filling up soundstage as before and I couldn`t locate/separate them so well.
There was air missing and it didn`t sound so natural. Bass department is also more enjoyable - it hits and goes low when it`s supposed to. Before it was "flat" with less body, excitement and punch.
Until Dmitry doesn`t do any other "magic" to SU, I will stick with 1.3.3 and enjoy ;P

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #14,788 of 18,652
Using an amp through Line Out, 1.3.3 with irr ON sounds better when using my Dunu1Ks.  For those of you using Headphone Out with no amp, it sounds like irr OFF gives a better result.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #14,789 of 18,652
The iBasso site is down again. Would anyone please be able to link the original 1.5.0 firmware from elsewhere. You can get it with CWM but I don't want to go down the Rockbox route again. Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back