The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #14,762 of 18,652
Seems I`m not the only one wanting this
biggrin.gif
 That 10min setting is anyway USELESS imho.

Saving ppl reading last page. Info about .5beta ...IMO:
About SU .5beta - I still definitely prefer IRR OFF / CPU @ Default over any irr + cpu config. Soundstage is just totally different with irr on + cpu. I prefer larger airier soundstage with more distance between instruments and more depth towards front/middle. Actually I think with irr on + cpu soundstage is narrower, more pushed into front but with less sense of depth and width. I did comparing with Omar R.L. - Hands vs. Helix (EAC FLAC) and irr on + cpu settings just doesn`t cut it. Less sense of soundstage, separation, dynamics, musicality etc. Maybe with closed and smaller soundstage limited cans it is good but with Fidelio X1 I find irr off + cpu default much better. It`s actually damn close to my upgraded Aune T1 with Siemens E88CC. But I`m not still sure if 1.3.3 or 1.3.5beta is better with this setting. This takes longer time for me to test. 

Just finished comparing with Omar R.L. (Telesterion CD2) - Casate Colmillo (EAC FLAC) song and opinion stays same.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #14,764 of 18,652
  Has anyone tried plugging DX50 into a speaker system (big amp big loudspeakers and stuffs)? I'd like your opinion. Mine gives new life to the old Denon amplifier and speakers that I've had for nearly 15 years.

I'll try it once the new battery is fully charged and report back. If it sounds different than optical in from my computer i'll be surprised

EDIT: and it works as well as the optical in.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #14,765 of 18,652
paulrgod, what settings exactly?

Got to spend more time with 1.3.5beta also because for example I like TOOL - Jambi more with irr ON + CPU 312 than irr off + cpu default. But then again ...it feels sometimes too "dark and dry" at same time. Weird to describe that. 

Scratch that. Switching between settings made me confused and it was still irr off + cpu default that I liked more.
Still, got to test more with rested ears, I`m tired already and can`t concentrate.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #14,766 of 18,652
Just tried 1.3.3 with irr OFF, FLAC, 312.  The soundstage narrowed a bit, the center got stronger, and I picked up more treble (a bit too much).  Went back to irr ON.  Keep in mind I'm running through Line Out to an amp and then to my Dunus.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #14,767 of 18,652
  paulrgod, what settings exactly?

Got to spend more time with 1.3.5beta also because for example I like TOOL - Jambi more with irr ON + CPU 312 than irr off + cpu default. But then again ...it feels sometimes too "dark and dry" at same time. Weird to describe that. 

Scratch that. Switching between settings made me confused and it was still irr off + cpu default that I liked more.
Still, got to test more with rested ears, I`m tired already and can`t concentrate.

Hi CoiL,

I have a lot of mixed source music so have a lot of MP3's as well as Lossless formats so i have to use the All Setting, I have IRR on and set at the higher 408 frequency as i like the brighter sound it gives.  It just seems the energy that was somewhat missing imo from 1.3.3 is back to the sound and i just seem to enjoy it more.  Some further listening on my commute to work this morning - Yes!

Cheers
Paul

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #14,768 of 18,652
  Just tried 1.3.3 with IRR OFF, FLAC, 312.  The soundstage narrowed a bit, the center got stronger, and I picked up more treble (a bit too much).  Went back to IRR ON.  Keep in mind I'm running through Line Out to an amp and then to my Dunus.

I guess we can make a small discussion on Sound Unlock proprietary settings menu and thus make it easier for most users to choose a starting point when experimenting with these settings!

1.3.5 has the most neutral and flat signature of all DX50 FW - it is my favourite. It shows a professional level of neutral and "ruler flat" reproduction without any colouring or any digital artefacts introduced It doesn't exhibit any sonic signature typical for digital. It handles in a very subtle and natural way low-level dynamics. And given all stated so far the SU 1.3.5 doesn't sound boring at all - it sounds unnoticeable. It just disappears and gets forgotten - for me this is the ultimate task for any source/transport - amp combo.

I) I have tested IRR ON vs OFF for some time now and in my case IRR ON is clearly the winner in my case. 
There are three areas in witch I do hear differences and I prefer the IRR ON:
   1) microdynamics in low frequencies
   2) more pleasant treble
   3) more natural soundstage - usually wider than IRR OFF in my case
There were some reports on IRR ON being more tiresome for users as it introduces more high frequency information which although inaudible has negative effect over long listening periods. No such thing in my experience, but it will be useful if more people post their experience.

II) The FLAC only vs Lossless vs All formats seems to have a noticeable effect on the sonic signature too. FLAC only is clearly the best sounding option if one has to be picky

III) The processor's clock frequency: Default vs 312 Mhz vs 408 Mhz. Do you have any impressions on how do these compare? It would be really nice to have your opinion on these. Without an external amp the difference is not as obvious as with the previous two option. There is some difference - I know it is wild - how could changing the clock speed affect sonic characteristics?
Don't look for the answer in different jitter here as it is not the case I am sure! Perhaps this difference in sonic characteristics when using different processor clock frequency is due to Android (presumably) automatically assigning different process priority to Mango? Or is it a placebo effect of psychoacoustics? I am not ready my personal final opinion on this setting - any impressions will be useful.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #14,769 of 18,652
Ok, a new option appears "neutral reproduction"! I tested 1.3.5 once more yesterday(without 1.3.3 comparison, just 1.3.5) and I like it too(maybe because of this reproduction similar to my "boring" PC setup reproduction :wink:).

2) more pleasant treble

those three are valid for my case too

III) The processor's clock frequency: Default vs 312 Mhz vs 408 Mhz. Do you have any impressions on how do these compare? 

"My placebo" tells me that default - more "dynamic", 312Mhz - very similar to previous but more "flat", 408Mhz - same "flat" but more brighter than 312 :)) As I already mentioned seems like it's a platform problem. 
BTW, did you try 1.3.2beta(816Mhz)?

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #14,770 of 18,652
  Just tried 1.3.3 with irr OFF, FLAC, 312.  The soundstage narrowed a bit, the center got stronger, and I picked up more treble (a bit too much).  Went back to irr ON.  Keep in mind I'm running through Line Out to an amp and then to my Dunus.

I agree with this as well. I believe I stated this a few posts back. I used IRR OFF, but when I switched the CPU frequency to 312, the highs just got too high for me and the midrange was too low. I really love SU 1.3.3 with IRR OFF, CPU frequency at Default, and FLAC.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #14,771 of 18,652
Quote:Originally Posted by Yanec /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1.3.5 has the most neutral and flat signature of all DX50 FW. It shows a professional level of neutral and "ruler flat" reproduction without any colouring or any digital artefacts introduced It doesn't exhibit any sonic signature typical for digital.

Agree on that.

I) I have tested IRR ON vs OFF for some time now and in my case IRR ON is clearly the winner in my case. 
There are three areas in witch I do hear differences and I prefer the IRR ON:
   2) more pleasant treble
There were some reports on IRR ON being more tiresome for users as it introduces more high frequency information which although inaudible has negative effect over long listening periods. No such thing in my experience, but it will be useful if more people post their experience.

1) Agree.
2) For me treble is too harsh with IRR ON. With some not so good mastered/quality records it does give improvement little.
3) I find IRR OFF soundstage to be more natural due to more depth towards front/middle. IRR ON has littlebit wider soundstage but it lacks separation in depth towards front.
   With IRR OFF I can more easily locate and separate singer in the middle/foreground and drums at back of him/her for example.

Yes, with longer listening it gets tiresome for me too with IRR ON.

I think IRR ON vs. IRR OFF is very dependent on cans/IEM`s used and also personal taste. For me seems that IRR ON is more like AKG sound signature (spreaded more into width) and IRR OFF more like MA-900, Fidelio X1, ATH-2000 (littlebit narrower maybe but more depth towards front/middle and "surround"-like).
Note that I do prefer sometimes IRR ON with my external speakers and certain music as it brings soundstage closer and intimate and music doesn`t sound so "distant". Mostly I still prefer IRR OFF due to airy spacious soundstage and dynamical sound. IRR ON tends to sound littlebit too clinical/analytical for me sometimes.

Quote:
II) The FLAC only vs Lossless vs All formats seems to have a noticeable effect on the sonic signature too. FLAC only is clearly the best sounding option if one has to be picky

Agree. FLAC mode is the best sounding. Period.

Quote:
III) The processor's clock frequency: Default vs 312 Mhz vs 408 Mhz. Do you have any impressions on how do these compare? It would be really nice to have your opinion on these. Without an external amp the difference is not as obvious as with the previous two option. There is some difference - I know it is wild - how could changing the clock speed affect sonic characteristics?
Don't look for the answer in different jitter here as it is not the case I am sure! Perhaps this difference in sonic characteristics when using different processor clock frequency is due to Android (presumably) automatically assigning different process priority to Mango? Or is it a placebo effect of psychoacoustics? I am not ready my personal final opinion on this setting - any impressions will be useful.

For me, CPU @ default gives mor dynamic and airy sound. medmitry gave good impression to this:
"My placebo" tells me that default - more "dynamic", 312Mhz - very similar to previous but more "flat", 408Mhz - same "flat" but more brighter than 312.

My faourite is still atm FLAC mode / IRR OFF / CPU @ default.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #14,772 of 18,652
I have gone to the page where it says download latest stable release of Sound Unlocked and I have downloaded the file 1.3.3.7zs. I copy it to my player but there is no option to update the firmware. What am I dong wrong? Usually the file is an .img file but this has .7zs after it. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #14,773 of 18,652
  I have gone to the page where it says download latest stable release of Sound Unlocked and I have downloaded the file 1.3.3.7zs. I copy it to my player but there is no option to update the firmware. What am I dong wrong? Usually the file is an .img file but this has .7zs after it. 

You need to extract the.img file from there using 7.zip or Winrar.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #14,774 of 18,652

Paul .7zs is a package file. The .img is inside this archive. Extract the .img file and enjoy.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #14,775 of 18,652
  Ok, a new option appears "neutral reproduction"! I tested 1.3.5 once more yesterday(without 1.3.3 comparison, just 1.3.5) and I like it too(maybe because of this reproduction similar to my "boring" PC setup reproduction :wink:).

those three are valid for my case too

"My placebo" tells me that default - more "dynamic", 312Mhz - very similar to previous but more "flat", 408Mhz - same "flat" but more brighter than 312 :)) As I already mentioned seems like it's a platform problem. 
BTW, did you try 1.3.2beta(816Mhz)?

No I haven't tried the .3.2beta based on your experience it should be kind of neutral but bright, too bright? Regarding the 312 Mhz being more "flat" - you mean less dynamic as a weakness, or you mean more flat frequency response as a strong side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back