The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #14,732 of 18,652

Please share any info you get from iBasso.  I am also looking for a shorter rca-3.5 digital interconnect and have inquired about it here and on the dx90 thread.  Some people said they got custom cables done, so I may hit up Ted at headphone lounge.  The included ibasso interconnect is too long for a portable stack....   

It's been a week since I wrote to Ibasso & no reply as far as where to buy a replacement coaxial cable.  I don't have the time to fiddle with the DIY cable just yet & no such products are available on Ebay or elsewhere.  Kind of sucks that Ibasso doesn't give a "hoot".  

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #14,733 of 18,652

This new update SU 1.3.3 FW is GREAT!! I love this sound sig.  

Thanks guys.

You should try 1.3.4 beta I strongly believe that it has an even better sonic character.

Both 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 have pretty much same sonic character, difference is very little but when IRR + CPU settings are being used, then I agree, 1.3.4 sounds littlebit better. I found FLAC/IRR ON/CPU@408 with .4beta to sound littlebit better than 1.3.3 with FLAC/IRR ON/CPU@312. But I had freeze 2 times with that beta and turned back to 1.3.3.
For what it counts I still prefer FLAC/irr OFF/CPU@ default with 1.3.3 - more dynamics, air, larger soundstage with more depth towards front/middle.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #14,734 of 18,652
  It's been a week since I wrote to Ibasso & no reply as far as where to buy a replacement coaxial cable.  I don't have the time to fiddle with the DIY cable just yet & no such products are available on Ebay or elsewhere.  Kind of sucks that Ibasso doesn't give a "hoot".  

Dude, I pointed you to Blue Jeans Cable about a week ago. Post #14636.

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #14,736 of 18,652

For what it counts I still prefer FLAC/irr OFF/CPU@ default with 1.3.3 - more dynamics, air, larger soundstage with more depth towards front/middle.

I agree 100%. I am perfectly comfortable with sticking with this firmware and these settings for the long haul. Messing with the CPU frequency and other settings just made things too bright for me, and I didn't like how everything sounded overall.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #14,737 of 18,652
What sort of battery life are people getting using rockbox on the dx50?  I'm considering either this, the 90 or the (god help me AND my wallet) the special offers on the Iriver ak120 atm.  The Ibasso's currently have the edge due to rockbox mainly (and price).  I use mp3 players at work mainly so ease of use is paramount.  The 50 appeals more than the 90 due to price (sub £200 = good!) and the fact that as I'll be working (ho ho) I wouldn't be giving it the full attention.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #14,738 of 18,652
Hey guys is there a firmware similar to the lurker0 version (custom firmware for dx90) for the Ibasso dx50?

My brother just ordered a new dx50 and he's wondering which firmware has the best sound quality

He's trying to be as cool as me (but I have a dx90) mwah ha ha ha

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #14,739 of 18,652
it's upgraded, ignore what it says about the version. now turn player off, push up the lock switch to lock position and turn it back on. now you will get a menu to set up the options such as flac only. push lock key down to unlocked position and player will reset and boot up again.

thanks for the answer, I was about to ask the same as jazzwave
What is the real difference between choosing the clockspeed of the processor, other than the battery save :)
I tried to update FW from 1.5.0 to SU 1.3.3 source latest stable version
https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

Follow regular procedure: copy the update.img file to DX50 replace existing file.
Take out safely the DX50 from PC, Go to Settings--->Advanced--->System update click OK to start the firmware update;

reboot after firmware update completed.

But after when I check system info the FW still 1.5.0 not SU 1.3.3.I still can can play mp3 file.

Did I missed step to do? I updated FW from 1.2.5->1.2.8->1.5.0 without any problem.

Please advise

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #14,740 of 18,652
Just had my dx50 a few weeks now just using vanilla 1.5 and all going well playing music but saw references to its usb dac mode and despite my searching etc I'm not sure I undertstand what to do or how this might work and how it might help. I've never knowingly used a dac before...

I have a windows 7 (32 bit) laptop. If its ok, I'll ask a few questions that really show how little I know but feel free to come back with the eeejit stuff you know I need to know.

I know there's a dac download available which can be installed and there's something about unsigned drivers that can be accepted.

I'm assuming the dx50 can be set into usb dac mode and is then attached via its normal usb cable to the pc...

The dx50 can then accept a digital audio stream and then uses its onboard dac to convert digital to analogue.

Where is the analogue available? dx50 has three outputs for headphone, line out and digital out (can't be that one). So is the analogue signal available on both line out and headphone, or can it go back down the usb to the pc and then...???

On the input side how do I make a digital audio stream available. If I use foobar or play spotify via web.spotify.com for example...?

How are you using it, and what are the results like?

Standing by to kick myself

:wink:

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #14,741 of 18,652
My brother just ordered a new dx50 and he's wondering which firmware has the best sound quality

He's trying to be as cool as me (but I have a dx90) mwah ha ha ha

Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAC mode with two different settings:

Quote:
1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

Actually I`m suspecting that with Sound Unlocked DX50 might even step on DX90 heels in terms of musicality and dynamics ...or who knows, maybe even better.
Give us feedback when You are able to compare DX90 vs. DX50 with SU FW.

What sort of battery life are people getting using rockbox on the dx50? 

I`m not using rockbox (I think SU FW sounds better) but I did battery/playtime test on last page:

Btw, I just finished testing battery time (KINPS 3250mAh) with my DX50 with following settings:

* 11min screen ON time
* gain @ mid
* vol @ 196
* Piston v2.1 16Ohm IEM
* Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 FW @ FLAC-only / irr OFF / CPU - default
edit:
* screen brightness 50

Total straight-on playtime result - 13h 18min

Next up original battery. I`m interested if it will last close to that replacement battery. Actually I`m not going to be
surprised if it even exeeds that playtime since those cheap batteries from china might claim everything on the label which it really is not. If I have time will test also SU @ irr on + CPU @ 312kHz.

Forgot to add that LCD brightness was set to 50 which I use all the time. Bright enough for me even with sunny day (ofc not with direct sunlight at screen).

Edit:

Probably I have to do this test again because I did some reading about Li-Ion battery properties and charging it: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

I realized that I haven`t been charging my replacement battery as properly as it could be done. Don`t know if it will make any difference but will do some discharge-rest-reload cycles with external charger or player turned off and see if playtime will expand.

More battery tests to follow soon :wink: Atm, I`m testing original battery and seems it is same good as that replacement battery. Will give exact numbers after about 30min.

Edit: LOL , I mixed up batteries. I`m actually testing that KINPS replacement battery again and this time it managed to last 14h 28min.
I don`t know if it is related with proper charging but this time I charged with lower proper voltage (4.35V output) external charger once, then discharged it and recharged it again. Basically more than 1h gain in endurance!

This time settings were like this:

* 12min screen ON time
* gain @ mid
* vol @ 192  (before it was 196 but it`s little difference and with longer listening session I use 192)
* Piston v2.1 16Ohm IEM
* Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 FW @ FLAC-only / irr OFF / CPU - default
* screen brightness 50

Starting to test stock 2100mAh battery tonight which has been properly charged. Will keep You updated :wink:

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #14,742 of 18,652
Hey guys, I pushed to the repo another "sound signature" update. I highly recommend to update your 1.3.3/1.3.4 if you hear some sound distortion/artefacts(or your ears get tired quickly).

Android libraries configuration "tails" are removed to prevent sound distortion.

This is the last beta update before next release. Need a feedback about SQ.
BTW, this version based on 1.3.3, no "boot menu" freezes/etc. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #14,743 of 18,652
Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAC mode with two different settings:

Quote:
Actually I`m suspecting that with Sound Unlocked DX50 might even step on DX90 heels in terms of musicality and dynamics ...or who knows, maybe even better.
Give us feedback when You are able to compare DX90 vs. DX50 with SU FW.

What do you mean @ flac mode with 2 different settings?

Is there a link to download this 1.33 sound unlocked firmware?

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #14,744 of 18,652
mpawluk91, look one post above about Sound Unlocked FW. It has "secret" menu @ bootup when lock is switched ON before turning player ON.

Quote:
  Hey guys, I pushed to the repo another "sound signature" update. I highly recommend to update your 1.3.3/1.3.4 if you hear some sound distortion/artefacts(or your ears get tired quickly).

Android libraries configuration "tails" are removed to prevent sound distortion.

This is the last beta update before next release. Need a feedback about SQ.
BTW, this version based on 1.3.3, no "boot menu" freezes/etc. 

medmitry, I haven`t experienced any sound distortions/artefacts with 1.3.3 and so comes my question - in case of 1.3.5beta with "sound signature changed" You mean it changed back from 1.3.4beta to 1.3.3 ?...or is it different from original 1.3.3 stable version? Or difference comes into play only when IRR and CPU functions are being used? I`m asking it because most of the playtime I don`t use IRR and CPU and want to know if there is any point updating FW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back