The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #14,506 of 18,652
What is the consensus/in what way does the newest Sound Unlocked firmware (1.3.3) change the DX50 sound signature? I would like to download the latest firmware for the battery savings, but if the firmware changes the sound signature too much, then I'd rather not. I am on 1.3.1 right now and I am very happy with how everything sounds.

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #14,507 of 18,652
  What is the consensus/in what way does the newest Sound Unlocked firmware (1.3.3) change the DX50 sound signature? I would like to download the latest firmware for the battery savings, but if the firmware changes the sound signature too much, then I'd rather not. I am on 1.3.1 right now and I am very happy with how everything sounds.

SU 1.3.3 has "Cpu freq" setting(default/312/408, default by default :) )
1.3.3 with default "Cpu freq" == 1.3.1

Anyway the sound a little bit different if you use fixed freq. Just try, maybe you will not see a difference.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #14,508 of 18,652
  SU 1.3.3 has "Cpu freq" setting(default/312/408, default by default :) )
1.3.3 with default "Cpu freq" == 1.3.1

Anyway the sound a little bit different if you use fixed freq. Just try, maybe you will not see a difference.

So basically what you are saying is that even if I don't like the sound change with 1.3.3 and the fixed frequency, I can just change the frequency to default and it will sound exactly like 1.3.1? If so, then I may go ahead and install 1.3.3 to see what I think about it.

EDIT: One last question, has anyone been able to estimate the amount of power savings attained by using the 312 frequency? Such as 10%, 20%, 30%, etc... I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #14,509 of 18,652
End of last year, I purchased an iBasso DX50, copied some music to the internal memory, scanned the memory and could play all music files without any problems.

Yesterday I inserted a 64GB Sandisk microSDXC UHS-1, I copied music to the card, scanned the memory (which took seconds only) and could find just some of the music files. It looks like the card has been corrupted during the scan, since part of the capacity of the card is still in use but can't be accessed nor read.

I have been trying copying and syncing music in different ways, but every time the DX50 performs a memory scan, the information on the card can't be accessed anymore.

The firmware I use is 1.5.0, the card is formatted fat32, I use multiple sub-maps (map\artist\album\title) and the music format is mp3 or WMA.

I have tried a different much smaller card and that seems to work fine. I have also put the 64GB card in my HTC phone and than I can find and play all files.

My conclusion is that it is not a card issue.

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #14,510 of 18,652
Try to format that 64GB card as exFAT and don`t do quick format. Maybe it helps.
Also make sure that You didn`t copy those folders with Audio Data folder (which DX50 makes for itself) as old Audio Data folder could corrupt (not show) new music added to the card or "skip" scanning new music. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #14,511 of 18,652
  End of last year, I purchased an iBasso DX50, copied some music to the internal memory, scanned the memory and could play all music files without any problems.

Yesterday I inserted a 64GB Sandisk microSDXC UHS-1, I copied music to the card, scanned the memory (which took seconds only) and could find just some of the music files. It looks like the card has been corrupted during the scan, since part of the capacity of the card is still in use but can't be accessed nor read.

I have been trying copying and syncing music in different ways, but every time the DX50 performs a memory scan, the information on the card can't be accessed anymore.

The firmware I use is 1.5.0, the card is formatted fat32, I use multiple sub-maps (map\artist\album\title) and the music format is mp3 or WMA.

I have tried a different much smaller card and that seems to work fine. I have also put the 64GB card in my HTC phone and than I can find and play all files.

My conclusion is that it is not a card issue.

Did you delete the album_img folder on the internal drive?   The audio_data folder on either the internal drive and/or card?  Delete those manually and then try a new scan.  It could just be that your database files have been corrupted.

You might consider a factory reset but this might delete everything on your internal drive.  Make sure you backup the content.

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #14,512 of 18,652
Lots of people don't svn use the internal memory, just leave it empty.  You might clear it and then do a Factory Reset.  Or you might try a simple reboot first, see if that helps.  

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #14,513 of 18,652
  Lots of people don't svn use the internal memory, just leave it empty.  You might clear it and then do a Factory Reset.  Or you might try a simple reboot first, see if that helps.  

when "64gb" is actually 59gb, screw yeah I'm gonna use internal memory

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #14,514 of 18,652
Just saw this picture and wonder what FW is running!
I have LG G2 and running Poweramp app and my music flac and all sounds amazing, whether I'm using my earphones/headphones or bluetooth to my lexus, it just sounds incredible and I customize it to my liking, what do I need to do with my DX50 to bring it up to that level, without having to log an amp around! I hate to send it back cause I think it has a potential but just don't know what I need to do!   

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #14,515 of 18,652
  Just saw this picture and wonder what FW is running!
I have LG G2 and running Poweramp app and my music flac and all sounds amazing, whether I'm using my earphones/headphones or bluetooth to my lexus, it just sounds incredible and I customize it to my liking, what do I need to do with my DX50 to bring it up to that level, without having to log an amp around! will the little Fiio E6 do the trick? I hate to send it back cause I think it has a potential but just don't know what I need to do!  

1. Amplification is NOT the/your problem. The typical smartphone has around 5mW at 0.1% THD, maybe up to 15mW for some tablets, while the DX50 probably has well over 200mW at possibly even 0.01% THD,* which is not only 40x the power output but also at likely a lower distortion rating. The DX50 also has a dedicated amplifier section with bigger power capacitors (still tiny, but bigger than what phones have), so current performance is a lot better as well. The DX50 also has a lot more power than the E6. Given these figures and you think the G2 sounds much better, amplification specifically output power cannot possibly be the problem here.

*A guesstimate based on the Fiio X1 having around half  the power of the X3, which in turn is comparable to the DX50

2. Frequency response. What makes the G2 sound better for you is very likely a matter of frequency response, and given your initial assumption is that the DX50 needs more power, it is very likely that the  Ibasso DX50 has a more neutral response and the G2's software tunes the EQ to sound/seem like it has a very dynamic output (I am assuming you did not enable any EQ's on PowerAmp), usually done by boosting midrange frequencies down to the upper bass. This brings out the main range of music out a lot more, and particularly with the drums, they have a stronger "punch" or "kick" to them. If overdone however this can make it harder for the 5mW integrated chip on the smartphone to drive headphones/IEMs, as on dynamic drivers for example boosting lower frequencies (even the upper bass) tends to require more excursion from the drivers, which in turn requires more power and current. Since that does not happen, it's likely that along with an easy enough to drive headphone that you're using, and as with a factory setting, likely not overdone. AFAIK, a lot of software or other "collaboration" products tend to use such a trick, except for Beats Audio's negative application of similar principles, which AFAIK (as mentioned before in some threads here, not sure how accurate) when installed and enabled, does nothing; then if disabled but is left installed, applies EQ to make the disabled sound (and by inference, the smartphone or laptop without it) sound lame.

3. Headphone or IEM. What were you using with all of those? Sometimes it's harder to appreciate the benefits to better amplification unless you use a better headphone/IEM (or even speaker), which in some cases, their design might have resulted in other compromises with regard to how easily they can be driven (higher impedance, lower efficiency, wider impedance swings from nominal, etc).

4. Gain. Check the DX50's gain - if it is on low and for example you tried an E6 at high gain, you will mistake the latter for sounding "better," as long as THD doesn't really kick in.

5. EQ Settings. Also, you can use the DX50's EQ to mimic the same "dynamic" sound. Play around boosting frequencies from 70hz to 500khz primarily, then a bit less for above 500hz to around 8khz. Not sure what specific frequencies can be tuned but tweak within that range.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #14,516 of 18,652
guys, whats all these custom firmware about?

1. how easy is it to revert back?
2. is it really a lot better than the standard firmware?
3. how to go about installing these custom firmware?

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #14,517 of 18,652
1. very easy
2. yes. Subjective of course but for me with FLAC-only mode - much better :wink:
3. Just copy update.img from new FW to DX50 internal memory (delete all previous stuff there), unplug USB cable and choose firmware update from UI under advanced.
    Before doing that make sure battery is charged. Wait after everything is finished (may take some time) and when DX50 finally boots back into UI, connect USB, delete update.img file, unplug and do factory reset from UI. After that enjoy new FW :wink: Installing previous/stock FW goes same way. Easy.

Of course it`s all at iBasso website in User Manual: http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX50_UserGuide.pdf

Note - with Sound Unlocked @ flac-only mode gapless play does not work. But I think sound improvement weights large over gapless play :wink:

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #14,518 of 18,652
1. very easy
2. yes. Subjective of course but for me with FLAC-only mode - much better :wink:
3. Just copy update.img from new FW to DX50 internal memory (delete all previous stuff there), unplug USB cable and choose firmware update from UI under advanced.
    Before doing that make sure battery is charged. Wait after everything is finished (may take some time) and when DX50 finally boots back into UI, connect USB, delete update.img file, unplug and do factory reset from UI. After that enjoy new FW :wink: Installing previous/stock FW goes same way. Easy.

Of course it`s all at iBasso website in User Manual: http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX50_UserGuide.pdf

Note - with Sound Unlocked @ flac-only mode gapless play does not work. But I think sound improvement weights large over gapless play :wink:

Thanks bro! The flac only mode means can only play flac files? and flac only mode is a lot better than normal mode?

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #14,519 of 18,652
Yes, FLAC-only means FLAC only. But there is also option to choose Lossless-only which plays other lossless formats and is also good but I prefer FLAC-only. 
And another option is Lossy - which should play all formats and can use gapless but sound is littlebit different since ffmpeg is involved in decoding process or something like that... I`m no good in programming and stuff like that but if You need more exact info don`t be afraid to ask from Dmitry.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #14,520 of 18,652
I downloaded sound explosion last night, wow! I'm starting to dig the dx50 now, I like the sound, the clear solid font and even the LP background! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back