The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #14,342 of 18,652
Get better cans then and stop torturing Yourself with EQ! 
biggrin.gif

Just kidding. This is subjective and personal preference of course. But... just saying...

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #14,343 of 18,652
  Get better cans then and stop torturing Yourself with EQ! 
biggrin.gif

Just kidding. This is subjective and personal preference of course. But... just saying...

I've been trying... lol.  Tried two different pair of headphones, one of which I really loved the sound of without any EQ.  But had to return them for being too uncomfortable.  I've been spoiled by comfort.  Keeping my eyes open for trying things that may sound good with a reasonable chance of being comfortable for my ears :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #14,344 of 18,652
Fidelio X1 maybe? Very, very comfy cans and for me personally they match perfectly with DX50 + this new Sound Unlocked FW (lossless or flac only mode). Again, this is very subjective.

Edit: Oh, I see... You are probably more IEM guy and constantly moving around? Then no recommendations from me.
Atm I have just cheap Piston 2.1 and T-Peos Populars incoming. I`m just beginning to search what mid-fi IEM`s to buy next. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #14,345 of 18,652
Strange, with all of the provided tips in different sizes you'd think one of them would have worked for you.  And if the tips don't work, you can't get decent sound.  I love my Dunu1000's, though I've ordered the new T-Peos Altone200's. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #14,346 of 18,652
Have you tried the VSonics?  A lot of people have said the VSD1 and VSD1S pair really well with the DX50.  The VSD1 is supposed to be more bassy,while the VSD1S is supposed to have less bass but more accuracy and a wider soundstage.  I ordered the VSD1S a couple of weeks ago, so I'm just waiting on their arrival.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #14,347 of 18,652
  Fidelio X1 maybe? Very, very comfy cans and for me personally they match perfectly with DX50 + this new Sound Unlocked FW (lossless or flac only mode). Again, this is very subjective.

Edit: Oh, I see... You are probably more IEM guy and constantly moving around? Then no recommendations from me.
Atm I have just cheap Piston 2.1 and T-Peos Populars incoming. I`m just beginning to search what mid-fi IEM`s to buy next. 

Yup, definitely an IEM guy.  While generally I prefer the sound of full size headphones, I don't really have a situation as to where I would want to use them as when I'm not on the move I resort to full size speakers.  Living alone in a house allows me to make all the noise I want :)

So iems that fit in my pocket is great, something I can pull out and use where ever with the DX50 which is also always on me.  I think my ears are oddly shaped though, when something isn't perfectly shaped it causes various degrees of discomfort to sometimes sharp pains.  Klipsch did nail the comfort aspect with the x-10s, being the unique oval shaped tips and super thin body.  They do sound good (with EQ), though I know it can also get better.  I experienced better by demoing a pair of full sized headphones.  Was spoiled ever since, trying to find an upgrade IEM wise that isn't unreasonably expensive.  Much of the IEMs I really want to try out due to the positive reception and increased sound quality are intimidating as they don't look comfortable.  DN-2000 looked a little like a larger x-10, in a way it is.  I don't have a collection of foam tips, but wasn't able to use the included pair and my ears were in pain lol.  

I have not tried vsonic iems, their larger body looks intimidating.  

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #14,348 of 18,652

I have not tried vsonic iems, their larger body looks intimidating.  

Agreed... the only reason I'm trying them is because they're cheap, and several people in this thread have said the VSD1(S) and the DX50 are made for one another.  I think they come with the Comply TX-400 tips, which I currently use with my WooDuo 2 IEMs, and those are super comfortable.  Apparently the VSD1(S) are supposed to be 80% of the sound quality of the GR07, for more than half the price.  I paid about $40CDN shipped for my VSD1S.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #14,349 of 18,652

I've been trying... lol.  Tried two different pair of headphones, one of which I really loved the sound of without any EQ.  But had to return them for being too uncomfortable.  I've been spoiled by comfort.  Keeping my eyes open for trying things that may sound good with a reasonable chance of being comfortable for my ears :)

The DX50 sounds incomparably better with the EQ module turned off or removed.

My simple advise on the IEMs is HiFiMan RE-400. The RE-400 is light, has excellent seal for most people I know and doesn't fall out of the ear or loose the seal.

The sound of the DX50 - RE400 combo is....I don't find myself able to give a verbal explanation, sorry. I absolutely forget the darn DAP or IEMs. I just float on the sound of the music I love. It is like finding something that was missing for a long time.

Cheers!

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #14,350 of 18,652
  Sound Unlocked: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked/blob/master/README.md

Took another pic in normal daylight:

That is an awesome stand.
  nvm, thanks for better link! Someone please add this link to 1st post!

Edit: Btw, anyone tried those screen protectors? > http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd-iBasso-TrueVue-Anti-glare-Protector/dp/B00H9N0RWC/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1405964625&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=lexerd+dx

I don't use a screen protector with my DX50. I just keep the rubber cover on. Haven't had any trouble and I use it daily.

One thing through, I keep forgetting it has three buttons. I nearly always use the touch screen for everything.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #14,351 of 18,652

That is an awesome stand.

Thanks. This is the first "prototype" version with some pyrography. Should have done littlebit smaller fonts when looking at pics but in real world looks better. Going to make little improvements and also another version with headphone stand attached to it. Maybe if I have time will do some for selling in head-fi trade forum (EU shipping only). Also planning to make lasercut aluminium screen/front side protector for carring DX50 inside backbag because I`ve had accidents when something pushes against mobile/camera screen and scratches or breaks it. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #14,352 of 18,652
Well the reflash/reset didn't fix the problem. I have a feeling its the lo becoming loose, like my ho. The audio ports on this device are quite terrible, probably time to get ibasso to repair it. Are the later models any better with the ports not becoming loose over time?

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #14,353 of 18,652
Thank You. I'll start with the DX50 and see what happens from there. I'm not in the habit of buying the top of the line model without listening to the lower priced one. Wished that worked out for me in other hobiies but let see where it goes from here. Thanks again!
Quote:
They will both, 100% guarantee, sound excellent with these IEMs.

The bass quantity and quality will depend more on the tips you select and the firmware that you use than on the hardware in these DAPs.

If you are looking for excellent sound and not the latest model the DX50 will be more than enough.
If money is no concern then just grab the DX90 as it is a bit more advanced in terms of hardware.

The differences in the sound would depend much, much, much more on the firmware and the settings than on the different DACs inside. The DACs and their architecture in the DX90 are considered better in terms of sonic characteristics, still the DACs in both devices are excellent and they are the strongest link in the chain. The difference between the two devices is not that substantial.

And by all means - enjoy whatever DAP you chose!!

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #14,354 of 18,652
Agreed... the only reason I'm trying them is because they're cheap, and several people in this thread have said the VSD1(S) and the DX50 are made for one another.  I think they come with the Comply TX-400 tips, which I currently use with my WooDuo 2 IEMs, and those are super comfortable.  Apparently the VSD1(S) are supposed to be 80% of the sound quality of the GR07, for more than half the price.  I paid about $40CDN shipped for my VSD1S.

I had the VSD1s and they sounded great but I kept going back to Mr GR07be which are awesome and I've had them for over 11/2 years. They to sound great with the DX50 but I usually use them with my iPod nano.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #14,355 of 18,652
Does anyone have an opinion on the ATH-IM50?

Reviews were pointing towards a bass forward and sparkling treble v-shape, but not overpowering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back