The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #14,162 of 18,652
OK, so I got 1.2.2 Unlocked to work (thanks, Polyrhythm) and set it for Lossless.  Then I put on a new Japanese pressing (SHM-CD) of Steely Dan's Aja, which I had just been listening to.  I chose to test the new FW with Aja due to the clarity of the material, the really clean mix, and the variety of sounds in the track.  Using 1.5.0 and my C5 amp, it gives a really fabulous sound.  Using the 1.2.2 Unlocked, it was obvious that the FW sounded enhanced pretty much across the board.  It sounded a bit wider, had more bass, more mids, more treble.  The immediate problem I found with it was that it was tiring.  Too much activity, the pristine "iciness" of the original sound had disappeared.  I could hear everything, but it was tiring out my ears and brain almost immediately.  

Now I didn't listen to this FW from the HO but rather from an amp from LO.  It may be that using iems or phones directly from HO would lead to an entirely different result.  But with my amp, it was not going to work for me so I reverted back to stock 1.5.0.  

Thanks to the dev who released this, I appreciate the effort.  Most likely the majority of owners of the DX50 listen unamped, so this FW could be a godsend to them.  

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #14,163 of 18,652
I'd like to know if anyone else has a micro sdxc 128GB card in their DX50 and if they've had any trouble with it. I bought one (it's a Sandisk) and I really feel like I wasted my money. I couldn't get my computer to recognize it while inside the player at all when using firmware 1.2.8, and when I updated to 1.5.0., I could not load any files onto the card. When I remove it from the player and use the adapter, I can load files... but when I put it back in the slot, the player will not play ANY of them. It showed they were there, but none of them will play.

I've gone back to using my 64GB card and firmware 1.2.8, and am having no issues whatsoever. So is anyone else having issues, or did I just get a bad card? (It is formatted correctly, I checked multiple times.)

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #14,164 of 18,652
Alas I only have the 64, however its my understanding that there are different types of SD cards not just by size. I can't remember the terminology but I had to consider it first before getting my 64 SD card.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #14,165 of 18,652
  I'd like to know if anyone else has a micro sdxc 128GB card in their DX50 and if they've had any trouble with it. I bought one (it's a Sandisk) and I really feel like I wasted my money. I couldn't get my computer to recognize it while inside the player at all when using firmware 1.2.8, and when I updated to 1.5.0., I could not load any files onto the card. When I remove it from the player and use the adapter, I can load files... but when I put it back in the slot, the player will not play ANY of them. It showed they were there, but none of them will play.

I've gone back to using my 64GB card and firmware 1.2.8, and am having no issues whatsoever. So is anyone else having issues, or did I just get a bad card? (It is formatted correctly, I checked multiple times.)

i have a sandisk 128gb and i have got no problems, iam using rockbox software for playback, and when i connect the dx50 to the pc through mango , the partition appears and i can copy normally to it.

so i guess its ok, may be you got a bad card ?

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #14,166 of 18,652

What file system has your card formatted to? NTFS, FAT32, FAT or exFAT? Maybe problem lies there? Try to format to FAT32 and try again. It may have been formatted to to unsuitable file system as stock. Give it a try.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #14,168 of 18,652

I'm using the 128gb SanDisk card without problems. It has been formatted in an Android phone before, I guess that's fat32.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #14,171 of 18,652
  quick question - i'm currently in CMW recovery. in order for my to use any of DOCs firmwares - do i need to switch back to iBasso's default recovery? or can i use it with CMW?

If you had to originally load a different type of recovery  zip to load his firmwares, then yes, you need to revert to a stock recovery zip (this is the case with RockBox, for instance) to use a stock iBasso update.  If all you did to update to his firmware was place his Update.img in your device and then run update, no, you don't.  The stock recovery will report itself as being 1.0 and will accept any iBasso update and, for example, the 1.2.2 Unlock FW.  Just place the stock Update.img in your device, go to Advanced, and run update, then remove the .img and run Factory Reset and then do a Rescan of your card.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #14,173 of 18,652
My charging port on the DX50 is a tad loose, and so it doesn't exactly connect to the computer anymore, nor will it take charge from the adapter, unless I hold it in one specific location. What to do without sending it back to iBasso?

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #14,174 of 18,652
Try a different cable?  It could be the cable end is the problem, and replacing a cable is a lot cheaper and quicker then sending the unit back for repair.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #14,175 of 18,652
Try a different cable?  It could be the cable end is the problem, and replacing a cable is a lot cheaper and quicker then sending the unit back for repair.

Yeah...the cable was the problem last week...but this time, I'm almost too sure it's the port. I've tried three different cables, all of which, only one had worked, where I had to hold it on a slight angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back