The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #14,146 of 18,652
  The more I read about these latest firmware issues, the more I'm like "I guess my iPhone with Spotify is good enough for now..."

You stopped me at iPhone.  BTW, not everyone has issues.  Mine has been rock solid for the past few days.  Mind you, I'm running SUv1.2.2.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #14,147 of 18,652
DOC has so many differently sounding mods that it is not quite clear what you mean, of course it all really depends on your sound preferences and your earphones.

Still if you prefer the 1.2.8 as more detailed compared to DOC2008 mods I highly suggest that you try Sound Unlocked 1.2.1 by Dmitry https://yadi.sk/d/Z4Xg0f7BWJUxJ
It should be flashed as any usual update.

Also given your preference DX50 MEGA SOUND EXPLOSION SECOND EDITION by DOC would be good for you I guess https://mega.co.nz/#!T0QnCaCR!W5baLFm7SdaPFbMweKImFl_gG5zOq73JaKup289IKxU

Give us some feedback once you try these two - I hope you like them!

I did tried the Mega Sound v2 but still prefer the 1.2.8 from iBasso so far. Also wasn't sure if the Mega was supporting all format. My library have a is of Flac, mp3, WAV, ape, alac you name it.

I will give a try to unlocked 1.2.2 this weekend.

Thank you

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #14,148 of 18,652
I installed the Unlocked, but I couldn't get its settings to show up, so put back 1.5.0.  And yes, I followed the directions.  I've been really happy with the stock FW, so no biggie.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #14,149 of 18,652
  The more I read about these latest firmware issues, the more I'm like "I guess my iPhone with Spotify is good enough for now..."

You will be missing out on an excellent device. I have not had a problem with mine through 1.28. Upldated to 1.50 when it arrived and did have a hiccup or two during playback but so infrequent vs. the hours and hours superb performance with the latest FW I will take it. Plus, no problems since I did a Factory Reset (crosses fingers) a few days ago.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #14,150 of 18,652
Im back to the stock FW myself.  I messed around with the RB FW but I got kind of scared off with all of the extra steps involved.  I really really want to learn it though because the crossfade feature is so important to me.  I know DX50 offers gapless but I still here a slight skip between some tracks like on a live album.  I think I might be a little picky on this but having gapless is a must for me.  Crossfade would be a great feature for me to get out of RB because there is nothing like an endless "themed" playlist stream.  
When using the RB I get so very confused with setting up the playlist.  I tried to do it externally, like making a playlist file through my laptop on the SD card before putting it back into the DX50 but I must be really off the mark on that.
I know that supposedly RB is playlist driven, but saving the playlist and adding to it.. I just couldn't wrap my head around the procedure I guess.  

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #14,151 of 18,652
I've been reading through this thread but much of the talk about all the firmwares is confusing, can someone tell me which firmwares the USB function works on?  I am using windows 7 64 bit system. Thanks in advance.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #14,152 of 18,652
  I installed the Unlocked, but I couldn't get its settings to show up, so put back 1.5.0.  And yes, I followed the directions.  I've been really happy with the stock FW, so no biggie.

Hey olddude, this had me stumped as well for a little while, almost gave up. Suprisingly the boot up options screen will not show up with your line out cable connected!

Maybe give it another try.

1. Unplug line out cable
2. Make sure player is on.
3. Switch the lock (hold) switch to on so you see the lock screen
4. Press and keep holding the power button until player reboots into the new settings option screen (be patient)
5. when you have made the selection you want , switch the lock (hold) switch to off again and it will  reboot into the player with the new settings.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #14,153 of 18,652
using sound unlocked 1.2.2, seems like i am having inconsistent volume. some songs are low volume, some are loud enough.
tested with stock 1.50, everything sounds almost on same level. Somebody has the same problem?

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #14,154 of 18,652
in which mode are you using SU1.2.2? What file formats are being used? Maybe sound unlocked makes difference with file types and sound is different between them or SU1.2.2 doesn`t use somekind of "equalize" processing? Dunno though, just some assumptions,

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #14,155 of 18,652

Hey olddude, this had me stumped as well for a little while, almost gave up. Suprisingly the boot up options screen will not show up with your line out cable connected!

Maybe give it another try.

1. Unplug line out cable
2. Make sure player is on.
3. Switch the lock (hold) switch to on so you see the lock screen
4. Press and keep holding the power button until player reboots into the new settings option screen (be patient)
5. when you have made the selection you want , switch the lock (hold) switch to off again and it will  reboot into the player with the new settings.

Well that's amusing.  I'll try again with my amp unplugged.  Thanks, polyrhythm.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #14,156 of 18,652
  in which mode are you using SU1.2.2? What file formats are being used? Maybe sound unlocked makes difference with file types and sound is different between them or SU1.2.2 doesn`t use somekind of "equalize" processing? Dunno though, just some assumptions,

well, all are mp3s but some with cbr 320 and some with vbr 192...for now back to stock

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #14,157 of 18,652
  using sound unlocked 1.2.2, seems like i am having inconsistent volume. some songs are low volume, some are loud enough.
tested with stock 1.50, everything sounds almost on same level. Somebody has the same problem?

That is true. In 1.28 there were big differences in volume. 1.50 not so much. I posted awhile back when 1.50 first came out that I had the same experience.  

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #14,158 of 18,652
I did tried the Mega Sound v2 but still prefer the 1.2.8 from iBasso so far. Also wasn't sure if the Mega was supporting all format. My library have a is of Flac, mp3, WAV, ape, alac you name it.

I will give a try to unlocked 1.2.2 this weekend.

Thank you

I highly respect DOC's work - because of him we have more FWs available than any other DAP and most smartphones  (http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&s=3fffcd48c02b663e8e090681c22db0c9). Still after going through almost all of them I prefer Dmitry's Sound Unlocked.

What phones are you using? I am asking since your preference of 1.2.8 is strange to me and I guess it is due to its symbiosis with your earphones. I am saying strange since with all the IEMs I tried I find 1.5.0 (and all custom FWs based on it) to have more natural, flatter and easier highs. It also shows far more detail in both highs and mids. 1.5.0 has better instrument separation and placement and a better soundstage - 1.2.8 seemed a bit more muddy and more congested. Still as I said this might not be the case with all earphones.

On top of the differences I noted above Dmitry's puristic approach made the 1.5.0 base sound even better. The midrange detail is just top notch, the extended and airy, but not harsh highs are pleasing, the bass is neutral and flat. Add to that the excellent micro detail and the neither artificially wide nor artificially intimate, but very realistic soundstage and it gets the DX50 sonic performance almost next to my Epos M16i sound signature!

P.S. for those who prefer more colored sound and find valve sound better than neutral studio sound - DOC's Pure Sound V3 should be a good option.

Cheers!

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #14,159 of 18,652
Dmitry's Sound Unlocked 1.2.2 is only around 65mb? 
confused.gif
 The official and the sound explosions are way bigger I think.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #14,160 of 18,652
  Dmitry's Sound Unlocked 1.2.2 is only around 65mb? 
confused.gif
 The official and the sound explosions are way bigger I think.

The update file is much larger when you extract it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back