The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #14,041 of 18,652
2 BSODs within minutes while now having a total 3 BSODs since installation of Win7 x64 Ultimate years ago.
One shouldn't touch pre-alpha builds being named beta. :wink: And also remember that a DAC is a DAC and a DAP is a DAP so both of them do exist since they are optimized for their specific uses. I wouldn't mind iBasso doing a propper DAC some day, 24/384 or 2x 24/192 but if, then with software like the one for the D7 which runs rock solid.
Firmware 1.5.0 goes in line with the USB-DAC drivers. Since drivers fail, I get warnings about an incompatible USB device each minute if the DX-50 is in USB-Charge-Mode.

Until 1.2.8 it was quite ok, but now they simply tried to add feature which lower the quality since if somethings not there I'll vote that a -0.5, but if something simply fails or errors it's a -1.
Lucky one could downgrade as easy as upgrading.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #14,042 of 18,652
You shouldn't be voting anything since it's Beta Drivers which are always use at your own risk.. You wouldn't review a half built bridge 'Was excellent until car plunged off the end, would not drive again..' so why would you do it to a DAP that is adding new features that aren't fully baked yet. They gave the Beta drivers to us as a courtesy knowing full well they probably won't work with a lot of peoples setup. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #14,043 of 18,652
You shouldn't be voting anything since it's Beta Drivers which are always use at your own risk.. You wouldn't review a half built bridge 'Was excellent until car plunged off the end, would not drive again..' so why would you do it to a DAP that is adding new features that aren't fully baked yet. They gave the Beta drivers to us as a courtesy knowing full well they probably won't work with a lot of peoples setup. 

LOL

So true.

The purpose of beta software/drivers is to get some real world testing to improve the software/drivers. Beta is an acknowledgement that it will be buggy.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #14,044 of 18,652
I'm actually happy they didn't include a Mac driver, or all of us would be on here trying to figure out how to make it work, just like all of the Windows people.  

deadhorse.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #14,045 of 18,652
  2 BSODs within minutes while now having a total 3 BSODs since installation of Win7 x64 Ultimate years ago.
One shouldn't touch pre-alpha builds being named beta. :wink: And also remember that a DAC is a DAC and a DAP is a DAP so both of them do exist since they are optimized for their specific uses. I wouldn't mind iBasso doing a propper DAC some day, 24/384 or 2x 24/192 but if, then with software like the one for the D7 which runs rock solid.
Firmware 1.5.0 goes in line with the USB-DAC drivers. Since drivers fail, I get warnings about an incompatible USB device each minute if the DX-50 is in USB-Charge-Mode.

Until 1.2.8 it was quite ok, but now they simply tried to add feature which lower the quality since if somethings not there I'll vote that a -0.5, but if something simply fails or errors it's a -1.
Lucky one could downgrade as easy as upgrading.

Possible solution for power management and driver issues: http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/11/fix-usb-root-hub-power-management-issue-windows-7/#.U4yaXvlS2Ck

...and if You have problems somehow with driver signing, then there is DSEO: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #14,046 of 18,652
I recently updated from 1.28 to 1.50.  It seemed to go well and I enjoy the sound signature.  For my ears and the music I like (mostly folk and Irish Trad) it combines well with the ATH IM70s I've been playing around with lately.  One problem, however, is after a point, the whole unit would basically shut down (after a long-ish period of time, like an hour or so).  Right in the middle of a song.  The battery was fully charged.  It happened a few times, so the last time, I ejected the card and performed a factory reset.  I reinstalled the card and played a while longer with no further problems.  I haven't had the opportunity to do much further testing beyond a half hour or so on the reset.  I did not perform the factory reset as part of the update protocol since it seemed to be working well, up until the shut downs.  

I thought this was kinda funny and I hope it doesn't happen again.  If it does, I will probably go back to 1.28, which I was liking pretty well.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #14,048 of 18,652
In the end, i found out how to install it (i was doing it right all along), but i finally got to use it properly... and i'm quite dissapointed. I know they are beta drivers and whatnot, but still 44/16 and 48/16 from a DAP that actually supports 192/24 was pretty lame. Got to use it a few minutes with Foobar before i got a BSOD on Win7 x64 Home. I'll be expecting better sample rate support (at least something with 24-bits), and at least something signed... ATM, i'll keep using it as a DAP only...

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #14,049 of 18,652
Not sure if this is normal?  Just got my DX50 today and I've been charging it for awhile and haven't been able to use it yet.  When I plug in the charger, the green orb comes up and indicates its charging.  When DX50 is plugged in, I can hold the power button for a bit and turn it on (and reads my sd card no problem), but...no sound from HO & LO.  Once I unplug the charger, everything goes black and I can't turn the player on no matter what.  Its been plugged in for a couple hours now and acting the same...is there something I'm doing wrong?  Really appreciate all the help.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #14,050 of 18,652
You might want to take the back off and try to re-seat the battery, might have shifted during shipping. If that doesn't help probably a defective unit..

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #14,052 of 18,652
Hi, can you guys recommend me a good portable amp below $200? I would like to pair it with my dx50, this is due to I cannot bear the hiss when i plug in my se535ltd into dx50

The JDS Labs C5 matches perfectly with the DX50 form factor and pairs well with it too.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #14,053 of 18,652
Hi, can you guys recommend me a good portable amp below $200? I would like to pair it with my dx50, this is due to I cannot bear the hiss when i plug in my se535ltd into dx50

Either JDS C5 or C&C BH.

I will give you the BH thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Yes, I did create the thread but below my mini review all the members impressions are logged,take note of those and be sure to read them. C5 is the better amp I have openly admitted that in the BH thread though whether the extra money is worth it is debatable . 

I only came in here actually to say how fond I've become of my DX50 / JDS C421 / SHR940 pairing.

When I want a dose of detail or a quick fix all I need do is crank up some female vocals with this rig.

It would be my full-time rig though some headphones hurt my neck when laying down, SHR940 is one of those headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back