The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #13,876 of 18,652
I just tried the latest FW. It sounded too warm with Roxanne. The mids and treble are recessed. It's difficult for me to hear details on the treble. IMO the worst SQ among the stock FW.

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #13,877 of 18,652
I just tried the latest FW. It sounded too warm with Roxanne. The mids and treble are recessed. It's difficult for me to hear details on the treble. IMO the worst SQ among the stock FW.

The treble is slightly recessed. Definitely sound warmer too. You should try out the mega sound explosion version 2 by doc2008. IMO it's better than 1.5. Details are more apparent with slightly upfront vocals. Surprisingly the bass is larger in quantity and quality than 1.5 too. Soundstage width 1.5 is larger and more spacious.

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #13,878 of 18,652
The treble is slightly recessed. Definitely sound warmer too. You should try out the mega sound explosion version 2 by doc2008. IMO it's better than 1.5. Details are more apparent with slightly upfront vocals. Surprisingly the bass is larger in quantity and quality than 1.5 too. Soundstage width 1.5 is larger and more spacious.

I'm happy with the stock 1.5, but if the mega sound explosion version 2 by doc2008 is that much better, I'll have to try it.

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #13,879 of 18,652

I'm happy with the stock 1.5, but if the mega sound explosion version 2 by doc2008 is that much better, I'll have to try it.

It's really down to personal preferences. I was happy with stock 1.5 too. Was ready to use it on the go. But after trying the v2 mega explosion, I find it edging past stock 1.5. Probably better matching with my phones.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #13,880 of 18,652
I just tried the Sound Explosion v2 based on 1.5.0 and it just seemed a bit too bright in the mids.  I liked it, but I think it would be a bit tiring using my Dunu1000s.  I reverted back to stock 1.5.0.  

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #13,882 of 18,652
I want to remove Rockbox but am having trouble.  Here is what I did:

Installed CWM
Installed Rockbox form CWM recovery
Installed "stock_recovery.zip" from CWM
From "DX50 system recovery  <3e>" I tried to install update.img v1.5, and then after failure tried update.img v1.2.8 which also failed

When I choose "apply update from SDcard" I get an error of  "can not found firmware image or invalid image"

Do you think I have the iBasso image named incorrectly or in the wrong directory?  When I plugin and mount the internal storage by by USB the only directory I see is /rockbox.  I have been putting update.img in the root directory that contains /rockbox.

Thanks,

Mike

OK, I don't get it, but even though it said failed, when I just let it sit on USB for about 5 minutes after the "failed image install", when I rebooted it came up on 1.2.8.  Go figure.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #13,883 of 18,652
  Ain't it great we have all these different options to choose from though?

Yes!  And we can discuss and argue and compare them and generally geek out over them, too.  
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #13,884 of 18,652
  I want to remove Rockbox but am having trouble.  Here is what I did:

Installed CWM
Installed Rockbox form CWM recovery
Installed "stock_recovery.zip" from CWM
From "DX50 system recovery  <3e>" I tried to install update.img v1.5, and then after failure tried update.img v1.2.8 which also failed

When I choose "apply update from SDcard" I get an error of  "can not found firmware image or invalid image"

Do you think I have the iBasso image named incorrectly or in the wrong directory?  When I plugin and mount the internal storage by by USB the only directory I see is /rockbox.  I have been putting update.img in the root directory that contains /rockbox.

Thanks,

Mike

You need to install stock_recovery.zip  and then run that.  You can't install a stock firmware using the RB recovery.  After you do that, go in and remove everything from the internal memory and place whatever firmware you want to use (it will say update.img) and then run the update per instructions.  Afterwards, follow the instructions completely to finish up.  

Scroll back a few pages and there are a number of posts re how to do this.  When your recovery is correct, it will say Recovery 1.0, and you will know you are where you want to be.  then you can update.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #13,885 of 18,652

USB DAC function on dx50 ?  Has anyone confirmed this ?  
Very cool, if so . . . . 

Yes, Yes:)

Though the driver is digitally signed in Windows.

Oh yes! Thats great news! ;P So anxious to get my DX50 and will start to compare FW`s right away (1.2.8 vs. 1.5.0 vs. MSESE). Reading impressions about FW`s, seems that MSESE should fit for Fidelio X1 great, I hope so. Anyone here using Fidelio X1 with DX50? Any impressions to share? Also hoping I get DAC function working under Windows 7 x64.

Btw, anyone has idea what HW mod this is? -> http://www.imclub.net.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=37738

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #13,888 of 18,652
Gee, you can buy the Nobles with the best cables for somewhat over $2200.  You could buy the 1+2s for somewhat over $1200.  Other than that, everyone here has a variety of favorites (for less) and I'm sure you could get a real good argument going about "best."  Suffice it to say that most decently-priced iems will be fine.  So much rests on the kind of music you listen to, the shape and depth of your ears, where you listen, what you want to hear when you listen, that choosing a best is impossible.  You could cruise through the past 20 pages of this thread and see what iems people have listed in their signatures.  That might give you some ideas.  But just because I tell you that I like the Dunu1000s doesn't really mean much.  And a lot of folks will jump on and say, no, your should try x or y.  And they will.  

Look at the past 15 pages of discussion re what firmwares we are all using, and that should give you an idea as to how hard it is to quantify anything.  

There is a thread in HeadFi devoted to quantifying iems, rated by number.  Hint: the Nobles are #1.  

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #13,889 of 18,652
  Honestly, I am starting to think that all these comparisons between certain DAPS is becoming more and more irrelevant because so much rides on the installed firmware.

It's really down to personal preferences. I was happy with stock 1.5 too. Was ready to use it on the go. But after trying the v2 mega explosion, I find it edging past stock 1.5. Probably better matching with my phones.

I just tried the Sound Explosion v2 based on 1.5.0 and it just seemed a bit too bright in the mids.  I liked it, but I think it would be a bit tiring using my Dunu1000s.  I reverted back to stock 1.5.0.

Ain't it great we have all these different options to choose from though?

Yes!  And we can discuss and argue and compare them and generally geek out over them, too.  
rolleyes.gif

That's the beauty of all of this, especially with the DX50.  With so many iems and full size headphones and connectivity options, at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.  What works for some won't work for others due to their gear.

I went from 1.2.8 to 1.5.0 and am staying there for now.  Have not tried other FWs or Rockbox yet on the DX50 (I have various iDevices and all my Sansas rockboxed).

Listening now to the DX50 connected to my Audio-GD FUN (A) via coax with Beyer DT880s.  Sounds delicious!!!

Good times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #13,890 of 18,652
Yep.  I just bought a 3.5 mini to stereo RCA cable so I can plug mine into my Pioneer 1522 (USB cable from DX50 to Pioneer just gave me "No Device," even though I can run an iPhone through it) and run it through that to my Kefs.  Fun fun fun.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back