The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #13,771 of 18,652
Guys,

I have RockBox installed and iam really enjoying it,

but seeing lots of firmwares like the sound explosion and 1.5 makes me eager to try them,

so i need to ask users that enjoy rockbox, is it really worthy to try the sound of any of these firmwares ??

and i really don't care about sluggishness of the gui or anything but the sound.

Its so easy to try, why not? It takes almost no time or effort to update. just do it!

1.5 is freaking awesome. It sounds better than almost any player ive listened to

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #13,772 of 18,652
There is no need to perform any uninstall. If the installation failed the dx50 doesn't get recognized as mango device. Right click the 2kxxx update the driver through browsing the drivers from your PC. Once installation completed mango device should appear.

Executing the setup exe doesn't work even in signature enforcement disabled mode. I had to install it through device manager.

BucketIInBUcket that's not the device manager...

My computer can't even find the installer when I direct it to where I stuck the drivers. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #13,773 of 18,652
  I'm using Windows 7 so I don't think I need to deal with the no signature issue. I might just wait until iBasso fix the install issue though, it's a bit frustrating since I think I've tried at least 12 times by now. Thanks for the help anyways guys.

I'm also running Win 7 but I encountered the signature issue as well. The driver was installed but Windows would not let it work. I have to disable the driver signature enforcement to get the DAC to work. It's similar to Win 8; just press F8 when starting windows and the option is right there. After that I don't even need to reinstall the driver; it simply worked. Hope this could help.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #13,774 of 18,652
so what do you call that window then?lol

That's device and printers..?
  My computer can't even find the installer when I direct it to where I stuck the drivers. 

Then there is nothing much you can do, if directly installing from setup didn't work. See if you checked include subdirectory.

To those who installed the driver and cannot find it in playback device. I just ran into the same problem. After a computer reboot, it will no longer show in playback device. My pc recognizes the dx50. Not sure if it requires me to stay in signature disabled mode for it to work.

(windows 8.1 64bit) after reboot

http://i.imgur.com/F5XjcM0.jpg

In conclusion, forget about the dac function and wait for a proper driver to be released.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #13,775 of 18,652
I don't even have an F8 option, so I guess I'm out of luck. I'll just wait for a stable release. I'm very happy with the 1.5 firmware anyway.

I've been thinking about it and the only thing that sounds dark to me is the space between the instruments. In 1.2.8 there is added air in between the instruments and in 1.5 it's black space instead.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #13,776 of 18,652
I really like the sound explosion firmware to be honest, completely changed my opinion on DX50 headphone out. It sounds really wide, spacious and clean with most of my IEM. I think it's great we have a few firmwares to play with.

I am glad you like it. Since I installed it a while back ago my C3 & Studio V have been collecting dust. Did you install the Mega Explosion based off of the 1.50 firmware?
If not, you should try it.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #13,777 of 18,652
Need some direction here. I'm worried about screwing up a perfectly running player.How do you install new firmware on player that has Rockbox already installed? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #13,778 of 18,652
I'm also running Win 7 but I encountered the signature issue as well. The driver was installed but Windows would not let it work. I have to disable the driver signature enforcement to get the DAC to work. It's similar to Win 8; just press F8 when starting windows and the option is right there. After that I don't even need to reinstall the driver; it simply worked. Hope this could help.

I had to do the same on my Win7 64 bit PC at work. It's now working fine but had to manually update the driver via the device manager.

I'm also getting some stutter while playing back music. I have never had any problem before. Wondering why it's now happening.

Bought a new external 2TB drive to finally get access to all my library at work via the USB DAC.

I listen to the Dx50 with 1.5.0 all day and I didn't found it darker at all. Maybe a bit more punch on the low frequencies but not enough to call it dark.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #13,779 of 18,652
  Need some direction here. I'm worried about screwing up a perfectly running player.How do you install new firmware on player that has Rockbox already installed? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

First you need to flash stock_recovery.zip which is included in FIRMWARE_DOC2008.zip. Then you download the newest 1.5.0 firmware from iBasso and flash it through the advanced settings menu as you would normally. You can find the FIRMWARE_DOC2008.zip in the rockbox thread.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #13,782 of 18,652
  Actually I don't want to go back to stock, I want to keep Rockbox but add 1.5.0 in place of the 1.2.8 firmware that is current on my dx50. I like the option to go back and forth between the two.

Do what was suggested and then go through the steps of reinstalling RockBox from the very start (installing the non-stock recovery included in the RB files) as you did before when you had the 1.2.8 firmware installed.  RB works OVER the firmware already in the device.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #13,784 of 18,652
  Guys,

I have RockBox installed and iam really enjoying it,

but seeing lots of firmwares like the sound explosion and 1.5 makes me eager to try them,

so i need to ask users that enjoy rockbox, is it really worthy to try the sound of any of these firmwares ??

and i really don't care about sluggishness of the gui or anything but the sound.

I have used rockbox since it was introduced for the DX50, and I would say that FW 1.5.0 sounds great.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #13,785 of 18,652

I am glad you like it. Since I installed it a while back ago my C3 & Studio V have been collecting dust. Did you install the Mega Explosion based off of the 1.50 firmware?
If not, you should try it.

Yes, if it wasn't for your PM msg I probably would never of tried. The sound explosion firmware has completely changed my views on DX50. It just sounds so much cleaner, spacious and no longer straining in the mid-range. I used to get a strange sensation from DX50 headphone out where it sounded like I needed to really crank up the volume to get good detail with vocals however that seems to be lifted and I can agree it sounds much wider and easier on the ears.

I haven't tried the mega explosion yet. But maybe will do so later down the road. (far as I know I am just using sound explosion?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back