The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 30, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #13,366 of 18,652
OMG guys!!! I've emailed iBasso asking for USB-dac function release date.

here's the email answer:

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will release the new DX50 firmware with USB-DAC function in less than 2 weeks.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

woahwoahwoahwoah.jpg can't wait

wow... 

thanks for helping us asking ibasso.

can't wait to try the DAC function...

May 30, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #13,367 of 18,652
  I realize this thread is for general discussion about the DX50, not for help and recommendations, but I'm not getting much help or any recommendations in the appropriate forum.  I'm hoping that by posting here I'll get some visibility.

I've wanted to get a high-quality DAP for a while now and the two that are closest to my price range are the FiiO X3 and the iBasso DX50.  I've read a lot more so far about the DX50 and I'm liking what I'm hearing about the improved stability and sound signature in firmware 1.2.8 (and now you can install DX90 firmware on it?).  That said, I've found very little in the way of direct comparisons to the X3 that wasn't written when the DX50 was brand new and horrendously buggy.  It's really difficult to parse out which one would better suit my needs when many of the gripes may be irrelevant now.

To make matters more complicated, the only set of IEMs I have to listen to my new DAP with are HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines, which I read here do not play nicely with the DX50.  That sucks but if you guys can give me reason to pick the DX50 over the X3, I can return the RE-400s and pick up a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s or Yamaha EPH-100s—both of which I've heard are marvelous for their price range.

Basically, I have a few questions I'm hoping people here will answer for me:

1)  How would you compare the UI and sound signatures of the FiiO X3 and iBasso DX50, in a nutshell?
2)  Is the DX50 bug free yet—or at the very least is it no longer likely to randomly damage my hearing?
3)  Will either of these DAPs benefit from a FiiO e11 amplifier, or are their internal amps strictly superior?
4)  Are my RE-400s going to be a liability with the DX50?  How about the HA-FXT90s or EPH-100s?
5)  Is there anything else I ought to know before committing to a purchase?

Thanks for reading and I'm really sorry if it offends anyone that I put this here.  I'm only trying to make an informed decision and I'm getting much information anywhere else.

1) DX50 has stunning clarity but this comes with possible listening fatuige and it perhaps lacks the musicality of the X3, which itself is a much smoother listen but does not have the same wow factor.

2) Yes, it will no longer randomly damage your hearing.

3) I tried the E11 with the DX50 and it diminished the SQ noticeably. Haven't tried it with X3, you may find the X3 has enough juice. The DX50 almost certainly needs an amp.

4) No idea.

5) Never eat yellow snow.

May 30, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #13,368 of 18,652
So to clarify , you are installing DX90 v2.05 firmware onto a DX50 ? Or is it only the DOC2008 version ? Thanks

bump

May 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #13,369 of 18,652
Originally Posted by KT66 

So to clarify , you are installing DX90 v2.05 firmware onto a DX50 ? Or is it only the DOC2008 version ? Thanks

KT66....here you go, a few pages back. It's the 'Soundexplosion' version

Quote:
  If there's any interest, DOC2008 has another DX90 port

translated using google ....

X50 SOUND EXPLOSION BY DOC2008

- Based on DX90 v2.0.5 firmware
- Android has disabled participation in the processing of sound. now sound without distortion from the player goes directly to the DAC
- Supports all audio formats and works gapless
- Ideal for uncompromising sound DX50
smile000.gif

- Flash of all time
biggrin0.gif

http://yadi.sk/d/YPR6Vj2zRHj6j

May 30, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #13,370 of 18,652

1) DX50 has stunning clarity but this comes with possible listening fatuige and it perhaps lacks the musicality of the X3, which itself is a much smoother listen but does not have the same wow factor.

2) Yes, it will no longer randomly damage your hearing.

3) I tried the E11 with the DX50 and it diminished the SQ noticeably. Haven't tried it with X3, you may find the X3 has enough juice. The DX50 almost certainly needs an amp.

4) No idea.

5) Never eat yellow snow.

1. Answer, do not be afraid of carefully using the EQ, It will smooth things out if desired!  as well as add more or less low freq/mids etc(Yes, even the Astell and Kern 240 people use EQ sometimes:).
2. Agreed.
3.The DX50 almost certainly needs an amp....answer..depends, e.g 300ohm HD600 not quite there with HO out but Using 100ohm ER-4s out of HO there was no discernable difference between this and RMEFireface 7.8 HO on hi gain. (using X50 SOUND EXPLOSION BY DOC2008). Very senstive IEMS will pick up Hiss which is undesirable to most people. So yes an amp can be beneficial depending on headphones/IEMS but not written in stone.
4.Not used them
5.Don't pee into the wind.

May 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #13,372 of 18,652
As I continue to do more research I'm finding myself more and more confused about compatibility issues between DAPs and IEMs.  Everyone here seems to praise the hell out of the DX50 but the X3 vs DX50 thread seems to indicate that the X3 is significantly more powerful—particularly with low-impedance headphones.  The JVC HA-FTX90s that I'm looking at replacing my RE-400s with are 12-ohm IEMs.  If what I'm reading here is correct and assuming it's a hardware issue that cannot have been corrected via firmware updates (I have zero technical understanding of these things), then it sounds like the DX50 will pair poorly with these IEMs, as well.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether they've experience considerable drops in bass response with low-impedance (< 16) IEMs and their DX50?

May 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #13,373 of 18,652
As I continue to do more research I'm finding myself more and more confused about compatibility issues between DAPs and IEMs.  Everyone here seems to praise the hell out of the DX50 but the X3 vs DX50 thread seems to indicate that the X3 is significantly more powerful—particularly with low-impedance headphones.  The JVC HA-FTX90s that I'm looking at replacing my RE-400s with are 12-ohm IEMs.  If what I'm reading here is correct and assuming it's a hardware issue that cannot have been corrected via firmware updates (I have zero technical understanding of these things), then it sounds like the DX50 will pair poorly with these IEMs, as well.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether they've experience considerable drops in bass response with low-impedance (< 16) IEMs and their DX50?

Post #77.... read that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675321/ibasso-dx50-vs-fiio-x3-comparison-thread/50_50#post_9860750

May 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #13,374 of 18,652
Post #77.... read that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675321/ibasso-dx50-vs-fiio-x3-comparison-thread/50_50#post_9860750

That's my point: I just found this when I was right on the verge of committing to the HA-FTX90s and I wanted to know whether this is a legitimate issue or not, and whether it had been (or even can be) mitigated via firmware updates.  There continues to be debate on this subject for several pages but unfortunately the technical details are lost on me.

Does anyone know whether this weakness could effectively be offset by amping the DX50 through a FiiO e12 or C&C BH2?

May 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #13,375 of 18,652

1. Answer, do not be afraid of carefully using the EQ, It will smooth things out if desired!  as well as add more or less low freq/mids etc(Yes, even the Astell and Kern 240 people use EQ sometimes:).

Fair enough but doesn't change the fact that at a pre-purchase stage it's noteworthy that the DX50 is naturally the brighter sounding of the two players.

May 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #13,376 of 18,652

I've wanted to get a high-quality DAP for a while now and the two that are closest to my price range are the FiiO X3 and the iBasso DX50.  I've read a lot more so far about the DX50 and I'm liking what I'm hearing about the improved stability and sound signature in firmware 1.2.8 (and now you can install DX90 firmware on it?).  That said, I've found very little in the way of direct comparisons to the X3 that wasn't written when the DX50 was brand new and horrendously buggy.  It's really difficult to parse out which one would better suit my needs when many of the gripes may be irrelevant now.

To make matters more complicated, the only set of IEMs I have to listen to my new DAP with are HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines, which I read here do not play nicely with the DX50.

I hear ya Dj...

I was in the same boat.  The more I read the more confused everything got with the FWs.  I finally pulled the trigger on the DX50 and should be here tomorrow.

Have you read Mark's review?  I believe he used those iems as well as others with the DX50.

Cheers!

May 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #13,377 of 18,652
I have the fiio e12 with a sony ex600 (32ohms) and shure se425 (22ohms), i purchase the fiio e12 since on my lectures and discoverings on my full stereo setup, i found that you cant sustitute the real power for speakers, so i aplicate the same with my portable dx50

The LO is clear as it should be, not like the HO wuchi is a little bit dark or warm, so the fiio e12 amps the clear sound of the LO just bringing a lot of dynamics and an slightly warm signature.

Overall i love much more my dx50 beeing amped

May 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #13,378 of 18,652

I hear ya Dj...

I was in the same boat.  The more I read the more confused everything got with the FWs.  I finally pulled the trigger on the DX50 and should be here tomorrow.

Have you read Mark's review?  I believe he used those iems as well as others with the DX50.

Cheers!

What's your previous DAP? do you love instrument separation and detail? if yes you're going to appreciate it alot.

I"m a hifiman RE0 user, when I first listen to DX50 with my re0 it was "meh" but then after couple of days my ear started to get used to the warmth.
The detail, soundstage and separation is superb :D

May 31, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #13,379 of 18,652

What's your previous DAP? do you love instrument separation and detail? if yes you're going to appreciate it alot.

I"m a hifiman RE0 user, when I first listen to DX50 with my re0 it was "meh" but then after couple of days my ear started to get used to the warmth.
The detail, soundstage and separation is superb :D

Hi yoztpetra,

Thanks......

I received the DX50 today and love it.  Will primarily use with iems but I have been trying the features and connections out first.  Might as well try everything out to fully use and appreciate all the possibilities. 
beerchug.gif

Trying the coax out to another DAC.  Works great!

Line out to A5s.  Great!

Line out to DV.  Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back