The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #12,346 of 18,652
Does anyone experience a popping sound through their headphones when powering up their DX50? I have a unit here that does this, but where it gets weird is it only does this 'sometimes'. Other times it starts silently. I'm trying to work out why it's like this. Is it the same for everyone on the current firmware? I'm using headphone out Btw. (not line out)

I get that too, both at power on and power off, and not just through the phones but there is an actual physical click from the unit like an old mechanical relay switching on and off

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #12,347 of 18,652
  Does anyone experience a popping sound through their headphones when powering up their DX50? I have a unit here that does this, but where it gets weird is it only does this 'sometimes'. Other times it starts silently. I'm trying to work out why it's like this. Is it the same for everyone on the current firmware? I'm using headphone out Btw. (not line out)

It's normal on both HO and LO.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #12,348 of 18,652

It seems like it's due to the relay in the DX50 as it's powering up. I notice that at the same time as the pop occurs there is an audible click coming from the DX50 itself. I usually turn the unit on first and let it "click" once before I plug my earphones into the HO, as the pops can sometimes be quite loud.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #12,349 of 18,652
I get that too, both at power on and power off, and not just through the phones but there is an actual physical click from the unit like an old mechanical relay switching on and off

It's normal on both HO and LO.

It seems like it's due to the relay in the DX50 as it's powering up. I notice that at the same time as the pop occurs there is an audible click coming from the DX50 itself. I usually turn the unit on first and let it "click" once before I plug my earphones into the HO, as the pops can sometimes be quite loud.

Ok, thanks guys. so it's normal, I'm not to worried, but you're right it's quite a loud pop, C&C BH amp has something similar. I wonder why the relay switch on DX50 isn't doing its job every power up.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #12,352 of 18,652
On old speaker amps the relay was there to prevent the power on/off pop to get to the speaker but I don't know if it is that kind of relay click I get from the DX50

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #12,353 of 18,652
On old speaker amps the relay was there to prevent the power on/off pop to get to the speaker but I don't know if it is that kind of relay click I get from the DX50

There's a DC surge when the power is connected to the amplifier. If the voltage from that surge is too high, where "high" is whatever voltage is necessary to actuate the relay, then the relay trips to prevent the surge from reaching the driver elements. It is this, the relay tripping due to current surges, that generates the pop sound.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #12,355 of 18,652
This is weird. I sent an email to iBasso complaining of the problems I've been having with the buttons not working on my unit. They replied asking me to send it in, as expected. No sooner had they done that but the buttons instantly started working again, perfectly. Can they remotely access our DAPs I wonder? :wink: Let the conspiracy theories commence..

p.s. I did suggest to iBasso that if they wanted to give me credit towards a DX90 instead of fixing my DX50, they were welcome to do so. They didn't bite..

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #12,357 of 18,652
  This is weird. I sent an email to iBasso complaining of the problems I've been having with the buttons not working on my unit. They replied asking me to send it in, as expected. No sooner had they done that but the buttons instantly started working again, perfectly. Can they remotely access our DAPs I wonder? :wink: Let the conspiracy theories commence..

p.s. I did suggest to iBasso that if they wanted to give me credit towards a DX90 instead of fixing my DX50, they were welcome to do so. They didn't bite..

Haha if they do, pls do tell me because my Dx50 will miraculously "stop working" too XD

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #12,359 of 18,652
Hey guys, do any of you have experience with the latest batch from the iBasso site (I believe 14th batch)?

I ask cause all these faulty buttons are kind of pushing me away from it (I'm kind of rough on my stuff).

Also forgot to ask, how do they pair with SR352is or SR60is?

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #12,360 of 18,652
Hey guys, do any of you have experience with the latest batch from the iBasso site (I believe 14th batch)?

I ask cause all these faulty buttons are kind of pushing me away from it (I'm kind of rough on my stuff).

Also forgot to ask, how do they pair with SR352is or SR60is?

I think that's not an area of concern as there's only a few reported cases of faulty buttons. I uses my buttons a lot of times and honestly it's not very responsive now but I supposed it's due to the firmware. On previous firmware and rockbox my buttons work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back