The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #11,928 of 18,652
What is one of the better amps to pair with the dx50? Let's say the budget is about $200 ish...

Definitely the C5. If you want to sacrifice portability by a little, and lose the easily accessible bass boost, the Neco Soundlabs Portable V4 is a small step up from the C5 with more detail and refinement, and may be a better choice SQ wise at $250 ish.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #11,929 of 18,652
  What is one of the better amps to pair with the dx50? Let's say the budget is about $200 ish...

What are you looking for to achieve with an amp? Drive full size can? Add color to your current setup? Looking to boost base or correct an impedance mismatch. Or perhaps you don't even need one at all.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #11,930 of 18,652
Definitely the C5. If you want to sacrifice portability by a little, and lose the easily accessible bass boost, the Neco Soundlabs Portable V4 is a small step up from the C5 with more detail and refinement, and may be a better choice SQ wise at $250 ish.

thanks...

What are you looking for to achieve with an amp? Drive full size can? Add color to your current setup? Looking to boost base or correct an impedance mismatch. Or perhaps you don't even need one at all.

I keep hearing that the sound improves considerable with an amp. And other than my vsonic gr07be I'd like to drive full sized cans when I'm away from home. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #11,931 of 18,652
  Hi!

Looks like rockbox for android is close to run at dx50, we only need to replace a few drivers accessing jni with native linux ones (almost matching code can be found in rockbox for hosted ports).
I've managed to draw at framebuffer, output sound and capture keys/touchscreen events at dx50 using simple cpp code in ndk.

Quite a very good news, thanks a lot xzcc :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #11,932 of 18,652
  Hi!

Looks like rockbox for android is close to run at dx50, we only need to replace a few drivers accessing jni with native linux ones (almost matching code can be found in rockbox for hosted ports).
I've managed to draw at framebuffer, output sound and capture keys/touchscreen events at dx50 using simple cpp code in ndk.

Hi xzcc, is there a place where we can find more info about implementation of rockbox on DX50, current status, screenshoot...?

Perhaps we could start the new thread 'Rockbox for iBasso DX50'.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #11,933 of 18,652
  thanks...

I keep hearing that the sound improves considerable with an amp. And other than my vsonic gr07be I'd like to drive full sized cans when I'm away from home. 

If you want to add to the bass body the C5 is good for it. But if you want to improve detail resolution and more neutral check out the UHA-4. The O2 if you don't mind the size is much better than the 2 and cheaper. Can definitely drive most cans better.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #11,934 of 18,652
  thanks...

Quote:

If you want to add to the bass body the C5 is good for it. But if you want to improve detail resolution and more neutral check out the UHA-4. The O2 if you don't mind the size is much better than the 2 and cheaper. Can definitely drive most cans better.

well for me, as far as i feel, the uha-4 added some aggressiveness to the bass and made the sound brighter, but in the resolution, details and soundstage its nowhere close to the O2.

For sensitive cans or iems i would recommend the dx50 amp (more portable) as i didn't feel a significant changes with external amps ,

for hard driven cans obviously the O2 is better than the uha-4 but less portable for sure.

my opinion is based upon trials with my equips : dx50 + m100 + mad dogs + d600 + O2 + uha-4

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #11,936 of 18,652
Tried with my Voyager yesterday 8/10
Today with O2,  9.5/10 - bass a touch light

Other than that I don't think there's a better combo for the money out there now anywhere in audio.
With my DT1350 thats £450 - incredible value, for the UK anyway

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #11,937 of 18,652
  Tried with my Voyager yesterday 8/10
Today with O2,  9.5/10 - bass a touch light

Other than that I don't think there's a better combo for the money out there now anywhere in audio.
With my DT1350 thats £450 - incredible value, for the UK anyway

Do you mean the Voyager has a bit more bass than O2?

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #11,938 of 18,652
It never ceases to amaze that most have an opinion on the best amp to pair the DX50 with, if at all.  Without being specific as to what headphones you wish to drive, it can become difficult to choose an all around amp.  I assume that's why so many of us have multiple amps, and use them with a variety of headphones.  That we be from ear buds to full size cans.
So many variables............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back