The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #11,896 of 18,652
The mod of course void the warranty, but since I've broke the warranty sticker inside earlier...... Don't try this if you can't stand the warranty void.
I'm uncomfortable about the grounding pin, so I just move it to the other side.
Like this:

(Sorry for my ugly and lazy drawings!)
The pin has a foot and a retractable head.
It's actually too short to contact the cover, so I move it up and off-center, because the hole on back cover is not aligned with the hole on the circuit board.

The pin now sticks out from the hole, which I think is the way it's designed to work.
(The tape is there for easy battery removal.)

I also happens to find that there are excessive solder slug between the silver capacitor pins.
Guess I'm lucky that they did not short out.

The PO plug is loose too, so I also take the chance to pry the contacts a little bit with sharp tweezers.

I can understand that iBasso may have pressure in production, but after opening the case, I think they still have some space for improvement on quality.
And... did the pin stick out in later batches? Mine is 3rd batch...

(Edit: I do think the bass increases after the mod)

This is a concern I had since the first time a removed the back cover to see he battery. In my case the pin stick out to much that the cover was hard to put back.

My DX50 is a later batch (6 or 7). I have to say that I never had any problem with my device and always thought that the grounding pin may be the issue with weird freezing problem reported by others.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #11,897 of 18,652
This is a concern I had since the first time a removed the back cover to see he battery. In my case the pin stick out to much that the cover was hard to put back.

My DX50 is a later batch (6 or 7). I have to say that I never had any problem with my device and always thought that the grounding pin may be the issue with weird freezing problem reported by others.

Thanks for the info!
So iBasso do change the pin soldering at some point between 4~6th batch.
It's a bit too long after my mod too, so it's possible they're using the same way as mine now.
I'll have to use the fingernail to push the pin before closing the cover :p

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #11,898 of 18,652
Sounds like that unit has 1.2.6 and gapless enabled (in this firmware gapless was really a crossfade)

Mine does the same and i'm running stock 1.2.8 , with gapless (off) (Came with the DX50) should i reflash it?

Also, I did a blind test on seeing if the quality of the interconnect to an external amp is evident.. and failed 
tongue_smile.gif

I couldn't really tell the difference between the FiiO L2 and this

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Silver-Stereo-Baolong-ZY-007/dp/B00A2QJPFS

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #11,899 of 18,652

It does not amplify the signal since you are getting it directly from the DAC.

Yet the LO has variable output, so it must be going through the volume pot?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #11,901 of 18,652
  Mine does the same and i'm running stock 1.2.8 , with gapless (off) (Came with the DX50) should i reflash it?

Also, I did a blind test on seeing if the quality of the interconnect to an external amp is evident.. and failed 
tongue_smile.gif

I couldn't really tell the difference between the FiiO L2 and this

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Silver-Stereo-Baolong-ZY-007/dp/B00A2QJPFS

mine have also this kind of fade-in when play anything
the gapless is off too
any ideas how to have this modified

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #11,902 of 18,652
I don't hear this and everything plays correctly but I have gapless enabeled

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #11,903 of 18,652
I don't hear this and everything plays correctly but I have gapless enabeled

I have 1.2.8 and gapless on. DX50 does cut off a fraction of a second at the beginning and end of the song. It's not noticeable for tracks with fade in fade out or with the leading and trailing silence embedded on the song. But not as bad as the earlier FW.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #11,904 of 18,652
I have that too. I find having gpaless on helps the reduce the cutoff. Doesnt seem like ibasso is really aware of this. Ive emailed them about it and they told me to factory reset, which didnt solve it

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #11,905 of 18,652
I just had a look  at the grounding pin on my DX50 and it hardly sticks up at all and I have been having freezing issues. I changed the stock battery for an official S3 one and I think it has been happening since then. It pushes down and springs back ok but is less than 1/2 mm above case.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #11,906 of 18,652
A couple of notes on modifying the firmware.

1) It's easy to enable adb, see [COLOR=283A5E]/bin/openadb in original firmware and modify build.prop accordingly. Or just download [/COLOR]https://mega.co.nz/#!Ih5QTJzI!0DXEqNgJBWeK1QFqTeOhXW5KaH6LP4Vi0M38Wtd2PZM
(WARNING, not for end users - adb will replace mass storage USB mode). 

2) Sound system is OpenMAX-based, and among other things it has an ALSA sink, see /dev/snd.
That means that you can, for example, compile https://github.com/tinyalsa/tinyalsa using android ndk and play wav files with tinyplay bypassing original mangoplayer.

If any other developers interested, we could try to port rockbox or make some improvements to original firmware.

Hi

I havent spend time with what is needed for a port but i would love to see rockbox on the dx50!

Im a cpp coder (comp.eng) but im not sure about the time that the process needs.
Im up for discussion though.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #11,907 of 18,652
  i just had a quit frightening moment….was listening to a great song, volume was fine, und suddenly there was like a single note from another song which intruded….and it was CRAZY loud…..

anybody has an idea what it can be?
confused.gif
frown.gif

i wish it was.....

sorry to quote myself....

but it happened again twice......i getting freaked out now while listening....did  a factory reboot a minute ago....but now i'm FRIGHTENED! 

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #11,908 of 18,652

but it happened again twice......i getting freaked out now while listening....did  a factory reboot a minute ago....but now i'm FRIGHTENED! 

If you are talking about the random volume going loud, I have told iBasso about it, they are still investigating it. The only problem with that is if you can't duplicate it reliably which means they won't be able to diagnose it and fix it. This is the only issue on the DX50 that I find totally unacceptable, it is just plainly bad for your hearing. It does not do that on the LO.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #11,909 of 18,652

Definitely not a good thing!  Very bad for the hearing.

I had a few sudden volume increases on earlier FW releases - none since upgrading.  I'm at the latest and haven't had that issue.  What FW release are you at?

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #11,910 of 18,652
After 6 hours use I really have only one query, aside from the delay on pausing, why does the volume still operate the LO?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-8/8760#post_10071892
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-8/8745#post_10069304
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-8/8535#post_10062796

Users who are viewing this thread

Back