The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #11,882 of 18,652
A couple of notes on modifying the firmware.

1) It's easy to enable adb, see [COLOR=283A5E]/bin/openadb in original firmware and modify build.prop accordingly. Or just download [/COLOR]https://mega.co.nz/#!Ih5QTJzI!0DXEqNgJBWeK1QFqTeOhXW5KaH6LP4Vi0M38Wtd2PZM
(WARNING, not for end users - adb will replace mass storage USB mode). 

2) Sound system is OpenMAX-based, and among other things it has an ALSA sink, see /dev/snd.
That means that you can, for example, compile https://github.com/tinyalsa/tinyalsa using android ndk and play wav files with tinyplay bypassing original mangoplayer.

If any other developers interested, we could try to port rockbox or make some improvements to original firmware.

Intriguing. I'd be interested to see what you guys cook up as an end user. I didn't try the sound modded fw that was released earlier, but I acknowledge how different working firmware options are a good thing for any dap or other device. Good luck with it.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #11,883 of 18,652
I cant see any reason for using volume in a line out unless you are going straight to a power amp. Is this the same on DX100 and DX90?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the volume control through Line Out can be useful if you're thinking of getting the sound out which bypasses the internal amp. For my experience on X3, I preferred the sound out from its Line Out as it is less colored or less affected by the warmness and mid bass. However I couldn't plug an IEM into the Line Out as the volume can't be changed and it's way too loud for prolong listening. DX50 which implemented volume control in Line Out is particularly useful under such circumstances. :)

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #11,884 of 18,652
I auditioned a DX50 at an audio shop few days ago. I inserted my 64GB micro SD card into the DX50 and started playing songs in it. I immediately noticed something with the player - sometimes the first second of the song is missing, sometimes the playback starts gradually (fades in) during the first second, so the music doesn't start sharp on the beat/second. Is this a firmware problem or settings problem?

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #11,885 of 18,652
I auditioned a DX50 at an audio shop few days ago. I inserted my 64GB micro SD card into the DX50 and started playing songs in it. I immediately noticed something with the player - sometimes the first second of the song is missing, sometimes the playback starts gradually (fades in) during the first second, so the music doesn't start sharp on the beat/second. Is this a firmware problem or settings problem?

If I'm not mistaken, that's an issue that can be solved with the gapless settings

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #11,886 of 18,652
Just a heads up for US DX50ers: 

AMZ Deal of the Day has Sony 64gb MicroSDs for under $40 with 2 day shipping for Prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-microSDXC-Class-UHS-1-Memory/dp/B00E1XI94Q/ref=br_lf_m_8606836011_1_8_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=pc&pf_rd_p=1744421422&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=8606836011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NP517ASM7CZ77C8KDBM

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #11,887 of 18,652

Mine does exactly the same...

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #11,888 of 18,652
so does mine, using 32g card

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #11,889 of 18,652
I think the volume control through Line Out can be useful if you're thinking of getting the sound out which bypasses the internal amp. For my experience on X3, I preferred the sound out from its Line Out as it is less colored or less affected by the warmness and mid bass. However I couldn't plug an IEM into the Line Out as the volume can't be changed and it's way too loud for prolong listening. DX50 which implemented volume control in Line Out is particularly useful under such circumstances.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even Ibasso say you should not use headphones in the line output, it's not made to see headphones.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #11,890 of 18,652
The mod of course void the warranty, but since I've broke the warranty sticker inside earlier...... Don't try this if you can't stand the warranty void.
I'm uncomfortable about the grounding pin, so I just move it to the other side.
Like this:

(Sorry for my ugly and lazy drawings!)
The pin has a foot and a retractable head.
It's actually too short to contact the cover, so I move it up and off-center, because the hole on back cover is not aligned with the hole on the circuit board.

The pin now sticks out from the hole, which I think is the way it's designed to work.
(The tape is there for easy battery removal.)

I also happens to find that there are excessive solder slug between the silver capacitor pins.
Guess I'm lucky that they did not short out.

The PO plug is loose too, so I also take the chance to pry the contacts a little bit with sharp tweezers.

I can understand that iBasso may have pressure in production, but after opening the case, I think they still have some space for improvement on quality.
And... did the pin stick out in later batches? Mine is 3rd batch...

(Edit: I do think the bass increases after the mod)

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #11,891 of 18,652
  Just a heads up for US DX50ers: 

AMZ Deal of the Day has Sony 64gb MicroSDs for under $40 with 2 day shipping for Prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-microSDXC-Class-UHS-1-Memory/dp/B00E1XI94Q/ref=br_lf_m_8606836011_1_8_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=pc&pf_rd_p=1744421422&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=8606836011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NP517ASM7CZ77C8KDBM

Pretty good deal. I am thinking about picking up a second one.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #11,892 of 18,652
I think the volume control through Line Out can be useful if you're thinking of getting the sound out which bypasses the internal amp. For my experience on X3, I preferred the sound out from its Line Out as it is less colored or less affected by the warmness and mid bass. However I couldn't plug an IEM into the Line Out as the volume can't be changed and it's way too loud for prolong listening. DX50 which implemented volume control in Line Out is particularly useful under such circumstances.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you aware the output impedance of the LO is around 10kOhm. Your IEMs (especially with BA transducer) will have FR shifts and will not sound right when plugged in directly to LO. The sound will be opposite of what you just described. Unless you actually mean you use the LO connected to an external amp where your iem is directly plugged in

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #11,893 of 18,652

Sounds like that unit has 1.2.6 and gapless enabled (in this firmware gapless was really a crossfade)

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #11,894 of 18,652
Are you aware the output impedance of the LO is around 10kOhm. Your IEMs (especially with BA transducer) will have FR shifts and will not sound right when plugged in directly to LO. The sound will be opposite of what you just described. Unless you actually mean you use the LO connected to an external amp where your iem is directly plugged in

I don't really go into the output impedance and impedance stuffs as I don't really get the science behind it. I simply plug into all the sockets and tried out the sound haha. Even the coaxial output. But obviously coaxial doesn't sound right. :confused_face: From what I tried with X3 using ASG2 the warmth and mid bass of the player was vastly reduced. Tried on DX50 with RE-272 and didn't notice much difference except for lower listening volume levels. But surprisingly DX50 was able to run 2 IEMs at the same time one through HO and the other through the LO. Though the LO sounded much softer. Just a fun experiment on my part not knowing the science behind it haha.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #11,895 of 18,652
I don't really go into the output impedance and impedance stuffs as I don't really get the science behind it. I simply plug into all the sockets and tried out the sound haha. Even the coaxial output. But obviously coaxial doesn't sound right.
confused_face.gif
From what I tried with X3 using ASG2 the warmth and mid bass of the player was vastly reduced. Tried on DX50 with RE-272 and didn't notice much difference except for lower listening volume levels. But surprisingly DX50 was able to run 2 IEMs at the same time one through HO and the other through the LO. Though the LO sounded much softer. Just a fun experiment on my part not knowing the science behind it haha.

Exactly the point I'm referring to. It shifted the Frequency Response of your headphone. What you are hearing is not the sound as it was intended to be heard. I'm not stopping you from using it if you are pleased with the sound you hear. Just saying, that is not the intended use of the LO.

Of course LO will sound softer than the HO. It does not amplify the signal since you are getting it directly from the DAC. The HO gets the signal from the DAC and amplifies it before feeding to the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back