The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 4, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #11,147 of 18,652
Personally, I believe that headphones and source quality make the most difference in sound quality, followed by amps and (quite a bit further down the road) cables… I've bought a lot of amps, and, really, the main job of an amp is to get out of the way and, well, amplify the signal… there may be sound signature differences, some of them have hardware boosts to treble/bass/crossfeed/soundstage (and these do work, but they also alter the sound - if you like the alterations, fine, your ears should be the best judge), but, to my ears, amps usually do NOT completely change the fundamental characteristics of a headphone (unless, maybe, you go balanced - I have no experience with that, but Sorensiim reported very good results with his Noble K10, with improvements in soundstage too - on the other the K10 is already a TOTL CIEM, of course:smile: ).

If I were you, I would look into upgrading my headphones, first, either by going to ljokerl's large thread on IEMs (if you want to stick with IEMs) and selecting one particularly suited to your preferences and within your budget (and comparing it to what you already have), or changing altogether and getting some open headphones.

Best of luck in your search!

PS: if you really are set on getting an amp, you might want to try C&C BH2 - there's a large thread on that too tat you might want to have a look at, it's cheap (<$100), has a couple of hardware switches which enhance both bass and treble and soundstage, and it's really good for the money. There are a lot of better amps, but they also all cost a lot more:wink_face:  (and I actually found myself using it more often than my Arrow 4G or my Pico Power, with N6 IEMs with FW 1.2.6, while with 1.2.8 I don't use an amp - needless to say, YMMV, and I still think that you'd be better off by upgrading your 'phones:smile:  first)

Thank guys, I think I will try with some cheap solutions like C&C BH2 or Portable version of O2 first (There is a guy in my country makes a portable version of O2 which has the same sound signature as original one but only cost $50) and save my money for future IEM upgrade.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #11,148 of 18,652
I totally agree.I want to buy another set of headphones for using with the p5 ,but a bit more comfortable and for home use .
But I really don't know what to choose ,that much I like them ....
And I don't want to by an amp when sound is not so good with the new spare headsets....
Thinking of akg k545..for better soundstage but I don't want to lose the way bass sounds on the p5

I agree with you that p5 could be more comfortable for home use. I don't have experience with the akg k545, but am curious if this combination have a better soundstage than the p5 - dx50.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #11,149 of 18,652
  Anyone here have experienced a sudden increase in volume with the 1.2.8 FW? I have read a report that some dx50 owners have experienced this in older FWs. This is actually what I am afraid of and this whats holding me back ...I am planning to use my SE535 and i don't want my eardrums get busted because of this issue. Thanks a lot

I did yesterday (well, my gf did). Beats me what made it do it, but it was pretty weird. I tried to reproduce it so i could see what did that, but nothing. It is pretty worrying, considering i'm using my IM70's with the DX50 now, and a sudden spike on volume could hurt like hell...

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #11,150 of 18,652
For testing a headphone or a dap i usally listen to a 3d sound example on youtube you can search by" 3d virtual hearcut barbershop " ,don't know if the link is working ..
With this i hear exacly the places of the people
Do anybody know another clip ? to test the soundstage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #11,151 of 18,652
While I haven't been having any issues with my DX50 for like a couple months now, I do say i wish they'd either remove the feature iBasso added to where it saves where a track stopped at when the device was turned off, or at least fix it to function more seamlessly.  It seems to save its location a little too well, and almost 100% of the time I never play a song from where it is when I turn it on but I do often restart the song.  Can't just push play anymore and expect it to start from the beginning, and you can't hit back either and then hit play as that actually goes back to the previous song.

What's more interesting that if you never do continue where you left off on that particular song, the device saves this so that even if you went onto play different songs and then returned to the original song the device turned on at and push play it still starts it from where it was at when you last turned the device off.  This is rather annoying, I feel it should clear this information the second you play something else.  

It's a feature I'd much rather not even have, or at least have a nice option to turn it off all together.  Only option iBasso provided is downgrading firmwares.  :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #11,154 of 18,652
Dx50 paired with RSA shadow isn't what I hoped. Using shure 535, dx50 sounds better without it.
Anyone else amping with the shadow?
Bass is muddy to my ears, sounds cleaner without...

That was my finding as well. I have since sold my Shadow.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #11,156 of 18,652
Dx50 paired with RSA shadow isn't what I hoped. Using shure 535, dx50 sounds better without it.
Anyone else amping with the shadow?
Bass is muddy to my ears, sounds cleaner without...

I have my Shadow/DX50 paired up with my Shure SE846.  I love it.  It sounds better than the Shadow paired with my Sony F series.  I also tried a vamp at a meet, I liked the shadow better. I don't find the low end muddy at all. Maybe I'll try it with some of my other IEMs and see what I find.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #11,157 of 18,652
I prefer my P51 mustang with DX50 than shadow

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11,158 of 18,652
I did yesterday (well, my gf did). Beats me what made it do it, but it was pretty weird. I tried to reproduce it so i could see what did that, but nothing. It is pretty worrying, considering i'm using my IM70's with the DX50 now, and a sudden spike on volume could hurt like hell...

Thanks for the report. Guess thats it, as much as i want to buy dx50, due to this issue, i decided i will no longer dx50. I'll just wait for dx90 and x5. Thanks a lot :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #11,159 of 18,652
Am I the only one having issues with the playback order on 1.2.8? 
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #11,160 of 18,652
  Using the analog line out if the active speakers have analog inputs 
smile.gif

I'm working on a plan for doing the same thing. I have everything I need, except the speakers.

I couldn't live with that. I just jumped on a pretty good deal for these puppies. Now the waiting game begins...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back