The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #11,088 of 18,652
  Ehi! Thank you very much to all people - italians and not - answered me. What a useful and helpful place! Without doubt it is the very best forum I encountered up to now.

Let me take advantage for that.

I am looking for an affordable ($200-$300) on ear headphone to couple with my iBasso dx50.

Many candidates ... 

Beyer DT1350 (170$ + shipping and import taxes on amazon.com)
Beyer T51P (180 euro on amazon.it)
V-moda M-80 (150$ - instead of $230) on V-moda site).
Grado is80

What do you think about?

Angelo

The T51p sound really good out of the HO on the DX50, but i found that it does need a little more push on the bass. The DT1350 sounds a little "less good" than the T51p. The M-80 is not that great, but still sounds pretty decent. I don't really like the Grado house sound, but they do sound a little harsh on the ears. If it were me, between those options, i'd go with the T51p. But in the end, i went with the HD25-1 II :p!

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #11,090 of 18,652
Ehi! Thank you very much to all people - italians and not - answered me. What a useful and helpful place! Without doubt it is the very best forum I encountered up to now.

Let me take advantage for that.

I am looking for an affordable ($200-$300) on ear headphone to couple with my iBasso dx50.

Many candidates ... 

Beyer DT1350 (170$ + shipping and import taxes on amazon.com)
Beyer T51P (180 euro on amazon.it)
V-moda M-80 (150$ - instead of $230) on V-moda site).
Grado is80

What do you think about?

Angelo

Hello Angelo, I'm using the Audio Technica ES-700 with earpads from ws55 for better comfort. If you like great mid with tight bass and well extended high ES700 is a good candidate. The also fold flat for easy transport.

If you don't mind them to be over-ear the Sony MDR-7520 are very good with the DX50.
Good luck!

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #11,092 of 18,652
I'd like to add to that, good old Sennheiser based headphones and DX50 are not strange neighbors, that's what a good player does, fire those music pistons.
redface.gif

sennheiser hd 25-1 ii + dx50 =
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #11,094 of 18,652
  Has anyone used the dx50 with the AKG K550? Is it a good combination? Or maybe there are some better options?
Sorry for my bad english. I am very ashamed

I have both, and I amp the DX50 with a JDS C5. It sounds a better than through the Headphone Output, but the HO still sounds great. I, like many others, have problems with the seal on the AKG K550, so I use the bass boost switch on the C5, and frankly it's fantastic. I haven't tried using the EQ on the DX50, but I assume you would be able to get similar results (the EQ on the DX50 reduces the sound by 6 decibels, so you will have to turn the volume up).

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #11,095 of 18,652
DT770 is not portable. I have a DT770 32 ohm Limited Edition but I cannot wear it on the neck (when I don't listen it). Earpads are too big. 
I'd like to wear it everyday and everywhere so on-ear should be the right option.
I listen a lot of people enthusiastically speaking about Senn HD25 II. It is an old model still valid. It is definitively a good option. It seems that new Aluminium release is better too.
I don't know the other suggested models.
The question is opened. Problem is that it is very difficult to listen them before to purchase them.

A.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #11,096 of 18,652
  just updated to 1.2.8 and found my bass totally gone. Am I missing something here? Pls advise. Thank you.

Here are a few observations from the last three FW versions using the HO and Sony MDR-V6 phones.  (I'm a noob so pardon my lack of technical jargon)

Up until 1.2.7, I didn't think I could hear much difference between FW's but after listening to some music for several months a little more critically, this is what I hear.

1.2.7 sounded a bit flat to me. Like a dirty window, going back to 1.2.6 was like cleaning that window.  I can't say much for specific frequencies etc, but after listening to 1.2.7 for a while, I was bored and thought maybe I was getting tired of some of my music or fatigued from listening. I went back to 1.2.6 and liked the detail I remember. I stayed with 1.2.6 until 1.2.8.

1.2.8 does sound great but I noticed on a few songs, that the extended base was not there. To be specific, one song in particular illustrates this: Cassandra Wilson's "Another Country". I have the album but this song comes with the HD Tracks free sampler if you wish to give this experiment a try. While so much is subjective, this is one song I can tell a noticeable difference.  At least with the V6's.

Soon into the beginning of this song, you'll hear the base come in and it's pretty low.  With 1.2.6, it is very prominent and actually something I can feel more than hear.  Almost a bit anoying it's so distinctive. (The V6 has a range down to 5Hz so I know it's capable of reproducing very low frequencies.)  I also noticed similar very low frequencies in some classical recordings and on Amber Rubarth's "Sessions from the 17th ward". Some are accidental like the musician moving a chair or perhaps bumping a base or setting it down. When I first head them, I thought someone shut a door in my house.  I found it interesting to hear some of that.  

With 1.2.8 that very low is gone.  What's there does sound great and balanced.  I compared the DX50 on 1.2.8 with my Nuforce Udac2 USB DAC out of my Mac and it sounds about the same as 1.2.8 with the same base output. 

So, I tend to think that maybe 1.2.8 is pretty spot on and that the extra base from prior FW's was overextended. (I can't replicate 1.2.6 base using EQ either so it's likely well below the 30Hz range of the lowest EQ lever)  My listening goal is basically to hear exactly what was recorded and to hear all that is in he recording, error or not. But, I really like 1.2.8 and will probably stick with it for a while and then maybe swap back to 1.2.6 to try out a few of my favorite songs to see if I like it better or worse.  

To put in perspective though, this is all splitting hairs, the DX50 is serving me well, it's a darn good DAP.
Scott

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #11,097 of 18,652
PS, I'm looking for the next headphone. I'd like to try something open backed and not amped.  Anyone using an AKG or Sen unmapped? Other suggestions?
Thanks

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11,098 of 18,652
Again ... I would prefer a model with detachable cable. It seems to be a very interesting possibility to improve the native sound quality.

A.

P.S.
A first test with dsd audio file has showed a very very low volume. I don't understand why. The earphone is a Koss KSC75, very easy to drive ... 

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #11,099 of 18,652
@ michaelang and FlyinMN
I agree with you both 100%  I was so happy that the [on my set up] muddyness had gone. I was thinking that this is almost a perfect balance for the audiophile listener - everything is just so well balanced BUT 
on songs where the drums play an important part, there is no punch there. Like Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix. I feel a little bad saying this because it does sound so good BUT it seems to my earsthat we have come so close a few times to a well balanced sound with the perfect balance of bass & treble...I may even go so far as to say a perfect sound. So im not complaining its just tantalizing :d For me, I found an audiogassm with my set up on the FW 1.2.3 but of course I cant go back as there is stability
Anyway, we are so close to an already phenominal sounding product
Im happy but now I feel excited for future updates. thanks everyone at iBasso :D 

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #11,100 of 18,652
Im still deliverating on  buying an dx50, have some pros like the sound with the new FW, its interface, and some cons due some problems with the front buttons (im going to use them a lot inside my pocket) and maybe some lack of punch sound wise. Im pairing with sony ex600.
Any recomendation?
maybe stick with the X3?
thanks All!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back