The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #11,072 of 18,652
Sorry, my name is Angelo and I live in Italy (Rome). 
I read on this forum that version 1.2.8 of iBasso dx50 is available (btw, why is it not on iBasbo web site?) and now dx50 is able to play dsd music format (.dff files).
I have installed it on my player but by browsing the directory containing it, no file is displayed. It seems that dx50 does not recognize this extension.
Perhaps, for my inexperience, I missed something ... :frowning2:
Thanks in advance for your help.
Angelo

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #11,073 of 18,652
I read on this forum that version 1.2.8 of iBasso dx50 is available (btw, why is it not on iBasbo web site?) and now dx50 is able to play dsd music format (.dff files).
I have installed it on my player but by browsing the directory containing it, no file is displayed. It seems that dx50 does not recognize this extension.
Angelo

Ciao Angelo

devi fare una conversione da .dff a .dsf

Usa il software Audiogate..

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #11,074 of 18,652

We've probably already 'beaten this dead horse' before, but what the hell....
Downsides to playing DSD (.iso) files on any DAP:  

1.) They take-up incredible amounts of memory = 3 to 5 times larger then the 24/96 or 24/44 versions made from the .iso's.
2.) A 'well made' DSD usually sounds equally 'well made' when converted to 24/96 or 24/44....and "I betchu can't tell the difference 
wink.gif
 "
3.) Playing DSD (.iso's) on your DAP requires the processor to convert it to PCM or whatever before it's played anyway which uses up scarce battery power very fast.

Answer:  

I convert all my DSD iso's to 24/96 or 24/44 Flacs before I load them on my DAP's. That way you gain all the benefits of the DSD quality without ANY of the downsides.  

I very much agree with everything
smile.gif
… only thing I do (slightly) differently, is I convert to 24/88.2 rather than 24/96, as I read somewhere that for DSD==>PCM conversion that might be a bit better/easier process (as 88.2 is exactly a 32x downsampling from the original), and it saves a bit of space… That said, I did not do any A/B comparison between converted 24/88 and 24/96, so take it with a pinch of salt
smile.gif
. I CAN say that, to my ears, 24/88 converted with Audiogate sounds better than converted with Foobar2000 (but it might also be a function of the dither used with Foobar).

If the DX90 will support native DSD playback (as opposed as DSD read-and-convert-to-PCM), it might be a different story.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #11,075 of 18,652
Angelo

Ciao Angelo

devi fare una conversione da .dff a .dsf

Usa il software Audiogate..

Esatto
smile.gif
… il DX50 supporta solo .dsf… se hai un .iso come fonte, devi estrarre i file con sacd_extract (command-line utility) utilizzando lo switch per estrarre file in formato sony, non philips.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #11,076 of 18,652
Has anyone noticed that the stock DX50 battery begins to have a shorter life after each charge?

This battery seems to be degrading a little faster than most in my experience. Analyzed it and I am getting just about 75% charge when the charging circuit shuts off. I try to follow follow all the basic rules for Li battery life. I have been using the otg usb for storage though and that draws more current than the card reader. I was using a back-up battery/charger rated at 14400 maH, which worked well but only two charges before it needs a charge itself. That is why I opted for the cheap charger and batteries, most high capacity batteries need an adapter to fit in the s3, so no hope for the DX50. At the price, I can buy quite a few cheap batteries.

Cheers,
Shawn

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #11,077 of 18,652

Esatto
smile.gif
… il DX50 supporta solo .dsf… se hai un .iso come fonte, devi estrarre i file con sacd_extract (command-line utility) utilizzando lo switch per estrarre file in formato sony, non philips.

My Italian is a bit rusty, but I'm pretty sure you said something about riding a scooter and picking up girls while drinking espresso.

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #11,079 of 18,652
My Italian is a bit rusty, but I'm pretty sure you said something about riding a scooter and picking up girls while drinking espresso.

:D … nope (and I guess it's back to practising Italian for you:smile: )

Either that or riding his Lamborghini, picking up Monica Belluci while changing the tune on his hooked up DX50. :D

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #11,080 of 18,652
Either that or riding his Lamborghini, picking up Monica Belluci while changing the tune on his hooked up DX50.
biggrin.gif

ROFL
biggrin.gif

And, you know, that actually strikes a particularly funny note with me, as an image I often use to illustrate to somebody that what they want to ask of me may be understandable, but really VERY unlikely to come to pass, is that I, too, would very much like to go and have dinner with Monica Bellucci, but, da**it, Monica never calls me
smile.gif
 … 

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #11,081 of 18,652
Ehi! Thank you very much to all people - italians and not - answered me. What a useful and helpful place! Without doubt it is the very best forum I encountered up to now.

Let me take advantage for that.

I am looking for an affordable ($200-$300) on ear headphone to couple with my iBasso dx50.

Many candidates ... 

Beyer DT1350 (170$ + shipping and import taxes on amazon.com)
Beyer T51P (180 euro on amazon.it)
V-moda M-80 (150$ - instead of $230) on V-moda site).
Grado is80

What do you think about?

Angelo

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #11,082 of 18,652

I am looking for an affordable ($200-$300) on ear headphone to couple with my iBasso dx50.
Many candidates ... 

Beyer DT1350 (170$ + shipping and import taxes on amazon.com)
Beyer T51P (180 euro on amazon.it)
V-moda M-80 (150$ - instead of $230) on V-moda site).
Grado is80

What do you think about?
Angelo

Hi Angelo, what kind of music do you listen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back