The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #10,711 of 18,652

I downloaded from the Ibasso link this time (rather than the mirror) and installed without the SD card in. It still was hanging at that point but I did a wipe in recovery then was able to boot sucessfully and did a factory reset. It seems to be working now, not sure what the problem was.

I had this issue once, it could have been the download from Soren's site. I usually don't have any issues with his mirror site but one time I did and downloading it from iBasso's fixed the problem.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #10,712 of 18,652

That's where I like to differ, the amp unfortunately clips the frequency edges, it might color what's in the middle also but you loose details at the extreme ends because of the high pass filter action that the amp introduces. That's is why I unplugged my amp. What we have gained is the disappearance of this annoying high pitch high frequency section which caused chaos to my SE535 and make me put it back in its box. I haven't used my iems until yesterday after putting 1.2.8 on the player. So to make a story short, the HO is the way to go now and really enjoy the portable as it should truly be, PORTABLE.
beerchug.gif

Does it matter if the clipping you are referring to starts at or beyond the audible frequency range say 100 Hz at the low end and 19KHz on the high end. I suppose different amps used/implement different filter ranges and the slope also varies.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #10,714 of 18,652

No, USB DAC function will be avaible with next update, which should be released in about two months, acording to iBasso's answer for user from some Polish forum. We've got to wait a little longer :)

tnx a lot for the info man!...been looking forward for this feature upgrade...hope it wont take too long...i guess everyone is as excited to have this feature with this DAP.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #10,715 of 18,652
If you don't mind, I have made so many tags changes in order to get the DX50 right. I keep my filename to 30 chars max, that includes the track number at the beginning and the balance of the title. I religiously remove any quotes and commas in the title or for that matter if you can any punctuations of any kinds, it used to choke on that. The main tag items you need are title, author, album, track number and genre. You do not need anything else. Naming in this is everything, case will matter. Its, ITs and ITS are very different for the tag library, it will bunch things together according to case so name you stuff consistently and carefully,  it'll aggregate your songs together at the right place. If you have a PC, use the mp3tag app, it allows making all those changes in a clip.

One more thing: art works - Either deposit a file with the .jpg extension (name does not seem to matter). It will use it if you haven't embedded the art work in your file tag. If you want to use a specific one for a song then embed it in the song tag info and it will use it instead. Both can reside in the same directory and it will pick it up first in the tag, second in the folder. Do not keep multiple jpg files in your directory, only one is sufficient the other ones will be ignored anyway.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your comments as well. I just added a lot of bullets in my to-do list with tags!

And I might have to check album art too... A couple of covers are not being displayed.
Any suggestions on maximum dimensions?

Mp3tag is what I use, really helpful!

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #10,716 of 18,652

it sounds noticeably better. all the changes up until now were kinda subtle. well, 1.2.2. sounded good compared to the previous versions and you could sorta here it without tests and such. but let me tell you 1.2.8 sounded really different from the moment I listened to some music. it sounds fuller, wider, and more liquid. with more detail. sub-base is rumblier, but it doesn't make the sound thicker, it somehow manages to be easy on ears (easier than the 1.2.7 version) so yeah, this version is highly recommended.

tnx man!!!...i should better upgrade mine now and enjoy the sound experience.
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #10,719 of 18,652
  And another note, and to those that have tried and managed to listen to some DSD files, do I understand correctly that these need to be .dsf, and not .dff (and, I imagine, no ripped iso)?

You extract .dsf files from ripped .iso image with the utility mentioned here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index26.html. Since it is command line utility you need to make sure you are using correct key in the command line (e.g. "-s") to get .dsf files (not .dff).

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #10,720 of 18,652
Jan 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #10,721 of 18,652

Does it matter if the clipping you are referring to starts at or beyond the audible frequency range say 100 Hz at the low end and 19KHz on the high end. I suppose different amps used/implement different filter ranges and the slope also varies.

I won't get into the science behind circuits design, that is an undergraduate course at a uni for electrical engineers (the last head-fi engineer member got kicked out lol) and that always invites people to exercise their argumentative mental muscle but I can tell you that if it started sloping from 100 hz and below, you would definitively hear it by the decrease or lack of bass in that lower frequency range, same argument can be made with the upper end to a certain degree; it is in the audible range. Keep in mind that it is also dependent on the age. When I plug my amp, I can hear the lost of higher frequencies by the smoother sounding highs, and the reduced bass on the lower end, that is why I can plug my highly sensitive SE535 without discomfort on the amp and not out of the HO line. Give it a try and see if it happens to you, if you have different amps then the better because some will clip the band faster than others. You might need to be selective for the music that will emphasize the band you want to clip. Now I did not get into harmonic signals that is another subject for some other threads. But you are right about the design, choice of circuit pcb layout, the tracing layout for grounding purposes and the components themselves all play a role in the final signal.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #10,723 of 18,652
Is it just me or is the scrolling a lot smoother now?
The sound signature did change. At least a bit.
Pretty happy with the update.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #10,724 of 18,652
I appreciate your comments as well. I just added a lot of bullets in my to-do list with tags!

And I might have to check album art too... A couple of covers are not being displayed.
Any suggestions on maximum dimensions?

Mp3tag is what I use, really helpful!

Thanks!

The player seems to be flexible on that but just keep in mind that the wallpaper is 320 by 240 pixels so the art work will be displayed quite tiny if you make it too large, using a maximum of 500x500 pixels should do just fine. Use a simple paint program to resize the picture proportionally, even the simple Microsoft paint application can do that job just fine, don't forget to save it in jpg, it is a more flexible file format for many tag editing programs and the DX50 itself.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #10,725 of 18,652
  I won't get into the science behind circuits design, that is an undergraduate course at a uni for electrical engineers (the last head-fi engineer member got kicked out lol) and that always invites people to exercise their argumentative mental muscle but I can tell you that if it started sloping from 100 hz and below, you would definitively hear it by the decrease or lack of bass in that lower frequency range, same argument can be made with the upper end to a certain degree; it is in the audible range. Keep in mind that it is also dependent on the age. When I plug my amp, I can hear the lost of higher frequencies by the smoother sounding highs, and the reduced bass on the lower end, that is why I can plug my highly sensitive SE535 without discomfort on the amp and not out of the HO line. Give it a try and see if it happens to you, if you have different amps then the better because some will clip the band faster than others. You might need to be selective for the music that will emphasize the band you want to clip. Now I did not get into harmonic signals that is another subject for some other threads. But you are right about the design, choice of circuit pcb layout, the tracing layout for grounding purposes and the components themselves all play a role in the final signal.

So... you are saying that any external amp connected to the DX50 line out will clip the treble and bass frequencies but the internal amp will not? And this is scientifically demonstrable on circuit design? 

confused_face_2.gif

(What do I know? Only what I hear: that the bass from the headphone out is anemic compared to adding the Pico Power to the chain.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back