The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #10,637 of 18,652
I have never used playlist features on anything so I don't miss what I haven't and don't use. What I do enjoy is the new DX50. lol 

I am listening to some hi rez organ music with a full rumbling low bass that is totally realistic! Very low and subterranean on my TH900. Totally controlled so that even the very low bass has resonance. Very pleasing. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #10,638 of 18,652
So I am not alone then?

No, you're not. KRK KNS-8400 headphones have amazing bass extension but little physical presence down that low so vibrations are easily noticed. v1.2.8 seems to have the hint of bass I described in v1.2.5 along with a similar hint in the sub-bass and this is adding the hint of vibration that I don't recall being there before. It's not "completely different". It's not "night and day". It's a subtle change.

Funny thing is, a subtle change like just 0.5dB more bass can make the music sound dramatically better. It isn't actually any better, just louder, but "louder = sounds better" up to a point when it comes to human hearing. This is a trick that slimy speaker salesmen use to get you to buy the more expensive but inferior speakers. It's also how salesdroids at Best Buy try to get you to buy the (more expensive) computers with Beats Audio. Same thing?

I don't think that there are any other sound changes in v1.2.8 but I don't have a test rig and I can't do double-blind testing.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #10,639 of 18,652
I notice even more of a spacial presentation and a bit of increase in transparency, all adding up for me, a more musical and encompassing sound. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #10,640 of 18,652
iBasso hit this one out of the park!

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #10,642 of 18,652
Listening to the Pico DAC I thought wow, Justin's only job was to make the Pico sound good.  over the last few FW updates it appears that Ibasso was more concerned with stability, do you think this is their first attempt at improved sound or just dumb luck, they have been fairly mute on anything concerning sound.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #10,644 of 18,652
Well that FW was a nice gift as they went away on their short holiday. :^)

I am listening to Greg Brown, Down in There, "A little place in the country". Wow, all I can say is, I don't want it to stop. No veil, such clarity and depth, wow. Oh wait, the next track, . . . lol. . too sweet. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #10,647 of 18,652

It's not only DSD but pretty much all kinds. For the first time, I unplugged my amp.

Yep, even more transparent and I hear more natural reverb unamped. All kinds of fun. You know it's right when you are caught up in the music and have to make an exception to listen to the "sound". 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #10,650 of 18,652
Guys what should I do... I installed 1.2.8 on my device this evening without any trouble and was listening to music. I unplugged my headphones for about 5 minutes and when I came back the player was off. I figures it had just went to sleep but when I try to turn it on it hangs at the ibasso screen. Hard resetting has the sameresult and taking the battery out is the only was to turn it off. I tried removing my SD card and such with no luck. I also tried pressing various button combinations to get in recovery.

Also unrelatd... The playback buttons on my device have become somewhat wobbly and creaking the past week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back