The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #9,871 of 18,652
Does anyone else experience slowdowns when looking at All Music? I just received the 64 gig SanDisk Ultra card that I ordered, and loaded up my library consisting of over 6000 AACs ALACs and MP3s. When I go to All Music, or change the sort mode in All Music, it takes about 10 seconds to load. Every time. It's almost three times longer than my old 32 gig card.
Anyone else experience something like this?

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #9,872 of 18,652
  Does anyone else experience slowdowns when looking at All Music? I just received the 64 gig SanDisk Ultra card that I ordered, and loaded up my library consisting of over 6000 AACs ALACs and MP3s. When I go to All Music, or change the sort mode in All Music, it takes about 10 seconds to load. Every time. It's almost three times longer than my old 32 gig card.

Reminds me of a joke;

Patient: Doctor it hurts when I move my arm up.
Doctor: Don't move your arm up.

I thought I could make you laugh a little, don't constantly move from one state to the next, enjoy the music by leaving the dap say on All Music, Shuffle mode and if you don't like the song, the forward button is there.
wink_face.gif

I have two 64 gb SanDisk cards filled up to the rim and do not find any slowing down but again, I don't lift my arm up either.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #9,873 of 18,652

Mine does this as well. After the lag it works fine though.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #9,877 of 18,652
Mine is horrible.

Media scans never complete with my 64gb sandisk.

I cleared and loaded only two albums- then it scanned properly- only to play the first 10 seconds of each song.

I've performed several firmware re-installs( with factory reset steps).

This is the buggiest player I've ever owned- and I owned a Cowon D3!!!

This is a 12th batch unit too- very disappointing.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #9,878 of 18,652
I used to get this issue at the very beginning when my tags where not up to snuff. Since I cleaned them up with mp3tag, never encountered major issues with scanning, now with the 1.2.7 progress bar, it's even better.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #9,879 of 18,652
I have two 64gb Sandisk Ultra UHS1 died on me, currently working to RMA my second card and send it back to Taiwan.... so it could be a sign of card failure :)

Quote:
  Mine is horrible.

I cleared and loaded only two albums- then it scanned properly- only to play the first 10 seconds of each song.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #9,880 of 18,652
This changing sound signature over the firmware changes is very strange to me:

With lossless material (FLAC...) and with the EQ off, the only purpose of the CODEC is to decode the original samples of the music, as-is, and send that data to the WM8740, I see no need to alter these data before sending it to the DAC.

All the DSP processing is internal to the WM8740; Filtering, oversampling, volume control, Sigma-Delta...

I personally made some fast measurements on my DX50 (1.2.7), with a scope and a multimeter ( maximum level, volume = 255, phone out, no load)
I use pure sine signal from WAV files, at maximum level (0dBfs)

Frequency response is ruling flat from 20Hz to 20kHz, maybe -0.1dB at 20Hz and -.2dB at 20kHz
(with a load, low frequency response will be affected, but its not the point here)

Personally, i didn't notice any sonic difference between firmware versions, but i think its very difficult to validate that without owning two DX50

At the same time, I also check the EQ function:

Frequency response is also ruling flat

When you activate the EQ, the level of the signal is reduced of 6dB, (1/2 of the full scale voltage), this is normal behaviour; if you want to boost your signal, you need to attenuate it before to avoiding numeric clipping (saturation)

But... there is a Bug:
In the 1.2.7 firmware, Ibasso push the maximum boost to +12dB, but keep the same pre-attenuation of 6dB !! leading to risk of clipping

And there is!!!:
If I put the 1kHz slider to +12dB, the 1kHz sine signal is hard clipped!!, i see this clipping from +8dB to +12dB of boost, But I think that this clipping must begin at +7dB of boost
This can explain the strange frequency response we see in a previous post with all sliders at +10dB

This clipping seem to affect only the frequency bands which were boosted (its logic)

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #9,881 of 18,652
This is interesting and undesirable at best - clipping signals
eek.gif
!

Wondering if Pottsy2 has received any feedback from iBasso yet on his findings that the center frequency of each band is double what it should be?

Cheers,
Tim

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #9,882 of 18,652

With lossless material (FLAC...) and with the EQ off, the only purpose of the CODEC is to decode the original samples of the music, as-is, and send that data to the WM8740, I see no need to alter these data before sending it to the DAC.

All the DSP processing is internal to the WM8740; Filtering, oversampling, volume control, Sigma-Delta...

I personally made some fast measurements on my DX50 (1.2.7), with a scope and a multimeter ( maximum level, volume = 255, phone out, no load)

Frequency response is ruling flat from 20Hz to 20kHz, maybe -0.1dB at 20Hz and -.2dB at 20kHz
(with a load, low frequency response will be affected, but its not the point here)

This is interesting and does not surprise me. I do not believe that the changes in CODECs measure in frequency response. If it were so, then one would obviously be 'wrong' relative to another. However I have been going back and forth each day between 1.2.2 and 1.27 this week. There is no doubt that the presentation is different. Massively different? No, but very noticeable nonetheless. (I will post on this at some point. I like them both.)

There are obviously many things going on in the decoding process - I previously used the analogy of processing digital pictures - but with music files I am nowhere near competent to explain what those things are.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #9,883 of 18,652

Personally, i didn't notice any sonic difference between firmware versions, but i think its very difficult to validate that without owning two DX50

At the same time, I also check the EQ function:

Frequency response is also ruling flat

When you activate the EQ, the level of the signal is reduced of 6dB, (1/2 of the full scale voltage), this is normal behaviour; if you want to boost your signal, you need to attenuate it before to avoiding numeric clipping (saturation)

But... there is a Bug:
In the 1.2.7 firmware, Ibasso push the maximum boost to +12dB, but keep the same pre-attenuation of 6dB !! leading to risk of clipping

And there is!!!:
If I put the 1kHz slider to +12dB, the 1kHz sine signal is hard clipped!!, i see this clipping from +8dB to +12dB of boost, But I think that this clipping must begin at +7dB of boost
This can explain the strange frequency response we see in a previous post with all sliders at +10dB

This clipping seem to affect only the frequency bands which were boosted (its logic)

I remember that on the image ibasso sent me, the +12 was just 6db more on the 30hz band. (A couple of pages back)

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #9,884 of 18,652
  Mine is horrible.

I had 'card problems' with one of my sandisk 64gb cards. I used h2testw.exe [ on windows ] to test the card, and found that it was the card which was faulty, nothing to do with the DX50. My other 64gb sandisk has performed perfectly since I've had my DX50. So, not wishing to teach granny any egg sucking tricks, but have you checked your card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back