The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #9,511 of 18,652

not easy, but i can get the player to scan the files on the internal memory, impossible on a memory card. I use mp3tag and my tags are pretty solid. all flac files - 16/24 bit. strange, i can get it to see the files if i browse by directory, and if i play a track, it will scan that album only. I may have to go back to 1.25 or 1.26 and see what happens.

Hey Mingus, you may have checked already but have you deleted all the extended tags that are sometimes present.  MP3Tag doesn't show them in the default view but if you highlight all your files and hit 'ALT+T' then it will bring up an additional box, any extended tags will show up here.  I had some media scanning issues and cleaning these tags out made a huge difference.

I concur with @mingus, not an easy thing to do considering that the scanning function still has some very serious issues.

Here is what I found:

(1) as mingus as also mentioned, a clean tag database is a must. I would also add to that a clean file naming convention. The best is to keep it simple and denuded of special characters; an old hangup form OS either mobile or desktop types which don't seem to work well with special character codes.

(2) As I mentioned earlier there are two locations where cover arts are being used:

(a) The Menu Item selection which is just a UI around the tag database, specifically the album display:
I tried different scenarios and what worked the best for this was a jpg file in the album root directory, the dap does not care how you name it, it just looks for a file with a jpg file extension in it and uses it.

(b) The My Music section: If you are like me and don't bother switching song cover art, just the above (a) item will do the trick. If you insist in providing a separate cover art, then by all means embed it in your song, the DX50 will use it instead of the album cover art.

Now that I cleared the cover art selection, let's get to the troublesome microSD card switching;

This is what I did that actually has not left any residues and allowed me to get exactly what I had on the SD card:

(1) Delete the .audio_data folder on the microSD card
(2) Factory reset your DAP (your choice either from the Advanced Menu or the Power ON/ Volume reset)
(3) If you left your microSD card in the reader (it is safe btw, the DX50 does not touch it), then pop it out and in until you see the scan the card menu item.
(4) Select Scan the card and wait.

If I do all of the above operations on a clean microSD card, it scans the complete library so the Album shows me everything I have on the card and the My Music happily shows me the cover art for each song.

Do not perform all of the operations above and be ready to see ghost albums/songs with the famous 0 bit - 0 Khz display and no sound coming out of the DX50.

Btw I also tried the different audio file format (including OGG files) and they all played fine plus I was able for most of them to use mp3tag application for handling database tags, except for wav files.

One more thing:

You must provide the following tags:

Title
Artist
Album
Genre
Track (numbered 1 to n - use mp3tag to numbered your tracks automatically)

I guess you just recognized the DX50 database tag menu and My Music display.

One more thing to watch out for: case matters, so be careful about casing, so Pink and pink and pinK are all different in the DX50 tag database world. If you want to have all the songs appearing under the same album, then the name should be exactly the same, else it will split it in a different albums even if it is in the same directory.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #9,513 of 18,652
FW Update 1.2.7. means a decrease in SQ imho.
its definitely NOT unchanged.

soundstage is far less wide (which is the biggest disadvantage),

highs are overly tamed (therefore no hiss, as a benefit)
mids seem smoother and are maybe a bit "fuller" (maybe better) 
bass is hard to compare with this iem as it has almost none :wink: but it's ok

This bothers me! Do other listeners agree with this assessment? Sound is the most important aspect for me. I would rather have better sound than fixed gapless. Should I keep 1.2.6 if this is the case?

any other experiences?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #9,514 of 18,652
  Hey Mingus, you may have checked already but have you deleted all the extended tags that are sometimes present.  MP3Tag doesn't show them in the default view but if you highlight all your files and hit 'ALT+T' then it will bring up an additional box, any extended tags will show up here.  I had some media scanning issues and cleaning these tags out made a huge difference.

good info, i have tons of other tags on my files, basically delete most of the tags except the basic ones?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #9,515 of 18,652
Well, here is my story:

1) Ordered from the 12th Batch.Preloaded with 1.26 FW
2) Froze several times on Media Scanning.
3) Froze during several songs while playing.

Updated to 1.27 this morning.

Now all I get is static.  Tried playing music from SD Card and the internal drive- Same results.

I will try reloading 1.26 and see what happens next.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #9,516 of 18,652

I concur with @mingus, not an easy thing to do considering that the scanning function still has some very serious issues.

Here is what I found:

(1) as mingus as also mentioned, a clean tag database is a must. I would also add to that a clean file naming convention. The best is to keep it simple and denuded of special characters; an old hangup form OS either mobile or desktop types which don't seem to work well with special character codes.

(2) As I mentioned earlier there are two locations where cover arts are being used:

(a) The Menu Item selection which is just a UI around the tag database, specifically the album display:
I tried different scenarios and what worked the best for this was a jpg file in the album root directory, the dap does not care how you name it, it just looks for a file with a jpg file extension in it and uses it.

(b) The My Music section: If you are like me and don't bother switching song cover art, just the above (a) item will do the trick. If you insist in providing a separate cover art, then by all means embed it in your song, the DX50 will use it instead of the album cover art.

Now that I cleared the cover art selection, let's get to the troublesome microSD card switching;

This is what I did that actually has not left any residues and allowed me to get exactly what I had on the SD card:

(1) Delete the .audio_data folder on the microSD card
(2) Factory reset your DAP (your choice either from the Advanced Menu or the Power ON/ Volume reset)
(3) If you left your microSD card in the reader (it is safe btw, the DX50 does not touch it), then pop it out and in until you see the scan the card menu item.
(4) Select Scan the card and wait.

If I do all of the above operations on a clean microSD card, it scans the complete library so the Album shows me everything I have on the card and the My Music happily shows me the cover art for each song.

Do not perform all of the operations above and be ready to see ghost albums/songs with the famous 0 bit - 0 Khz display and no sound coming out of the DX50.

Btw I also tried the different audio file format (including OGG files) and they all played fine plus I was able for most of them to use mp3tag application for handling database tags, except for wav files.

One more thing:

You must provide the following tags:

Title
Artist
Album
Genre

I guess you just recognized the DX50 database tag menu and My Music display.

One more thing to watch out for: case matters, so be careful about casing, so Pink and pink and pinK are all different in the DX50 tag database world. If you want to have all the songs appearing under the same album, then the name should be exactly the same, else it will split it in a different albums even if it is in the same directory.

will mp3tag place the cover art in the root directory somehow? i notice some of my albums have a .jpg and some don't. I will delete extended tags and keep the basics. best to use Amazon or freedb?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #9,517 of 18,652
will mp3tag place the cover art in the root directory somehow? i notice some of my albums have a .jpg and some don't. I will delete extended tags and keep the basics. best to use Amazon or freedb?

That's what I initially did, extracted the cover art from the audio file and saved it in the album folder with the usual folder.jpg file name. I then proceeded to remove any cover arts from all the album audio files. That setup made it easy for me to manage.

If you don't have the cover art, go on the net and look for the album picture in JPEG then download it. Place it in the album folder and you are all good to go.

Mp3tag is not going to place the cover art directly in the directory unless it is already embedded in the audio file and you perform an extract. Otherwise, you will have to put it there yourself.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #9,518 of 18,652
Sound is the most important aspect for me. I would rather have better sound than fixed gapless. Should I keep 1.2.6 if this is the case?

No one can answer this but you.  Try the new firmware.  Listen.  Decide whether you prefer it or an earlier version.  Use the one you like.

Re: Album Art, try http://albumart.org or http://www.albumartexchange.com

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #9,521 of 18,652
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #9,522 of 18,652
  FW Update 1.2.7. means a decrease in SQ imho.
its definitely NOT unchanged.

soundstage is far less wide (which is the biggest disadvantage),

highs are overly tamed (therefore no hiss, as a benefit)
mids seem smoother and are maybe a bit "fuller" (maybe better) 
bass is hard to compare with this iem as it has almost none :wink: but it's ok

all in all the sound is more "laid back" but has lost its precise character and edge.

compairing it at the moment against v 1.2.6 
IEM Rock-It R50 (very analytical iem)
Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon 24/96 Vinyl rip Flac

WHY oh why.... 
i want the sound of  1.2.6 AND working gapless... is it too much asked?

any other experiences?

Im afraid I have to agree - all the music i listen too now Im very much aware of bass, fullness, maybe even muddyness. For me, ideally I shouldnt be noticing anything I should be simply enjoying the music. With this firmware 1.2.7 it sounds like how the 3rd switch setting sounded! it comes across as far too big now, almost ridiculously so. Reminds me of companies who make the music 'appear' big, colourful and bassy so cheap headphones 'sound' better to joe public
BUT, OF COURSE it depends on your headphones, preference etc etc. The Grado GR10's are VERY revealing . . . 
This is not a big change, its fairly subtle over all but with my personal set up its far from ideal, but again, ideal for me. If its good for other folks then good  :)
I did try to go back to 1.2.3b FW which -for whatever reason- sounded perfect on my personal set up but alas its just not stable enough :frowning2:
Im still enjoying the player, i think its brilliant. The FW sound is not a huge turn off for me, just not ideal but hey ho :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #9,523 of 18,652
  Im afraid I have to agree - all the music i listen too now Im very much aware of bass, fullness, maybe even muddyness. For me, ideally I shouldnt be noticing anything I should be simply enjoying the music. With this firmware 1.2.7 it sounds like how the 3rd switch setting sounded! it comes across as far too big now, almost ridiculously so. Reminds me of companies who make the music 'appear' big, colourful and bassy so cheap headphones 'sound' better to joe public
BUT, OF COURSE it depends on your headphones, preference etc etc. The Grado GR10's are VERY revealing . . . 
This is not a big change, its fairly subtle over all but with my personal set up its far from ideal, but again, ideal for me. If its good for other folks then good  :)
I did try to go back to 1.2.3b FW which -for whatever reason- sounded perfect on my personal set up but alas its just not stable enough :frowning2:
Im still enjoying the player, i think its brilliant. The FW sound is not a huge turn off for me, just not ideal but hey ho :)

Email iBasso. That is the only way they will know how you feel and what you are hearing. I don't hear much difference but we are all different from 1.2.6 to 1.2.7 but I have been using an amp a lot as I have been using the TH900 and burning in new IC's and a headphone cable for them. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9,524 of 18,652
That's what I initially did, extracted the cover art from the audio file and saved it in the album folder with the usual folder.jpg file name. I then proceeded to remove any cover arts from all the album audio files. That setup made it easy for me to manage.

If you don't have the cover art, go on the net and look for the album picture in JPEG then download it. Place it in the album folder and you are all good to go.

Mp3tag is not going to place the cover art directly in the directory unless it is already embedded in the audio file and you perform an extract. Otherwise, you will have to put it there yourself.

So, I'm a bit confused...is it better to have the album art just in the folder as a jpg, or embedded into the files, or both?

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #9,525 of 18,652
Thank you Jamato8 - Ive been thinking of doing just that but have been taking my time 
to formulate the most constructive words :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back