The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #9,061 of 18,652
What wire do you guys use and from where?

Pm'd.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #9,063 of 18,652
  I feel like I may have found out the issue I've been having with my DX50 and its random constant freezing issues between mostly all firmware versions.  Let's say this is most certainly not a very user friendly device.  

First off, the factory reset option from within the operating system only resets the OS configuring to its default settings.  If you performed a firmware update you have to plug it into the computer to delete the firmware upgrade file from the internal memory, per the instructions of the included .txt file.  

This OS based factory reset doesn't delete anything inside that img folder on the root of the internal memory.  That being the database of every track it scanned on the SD card.  After each firmware upgrade, or downgrade even I would perform a factory reset from the OS and stick my SD card in and let it perform a full scan.  The DX50 obviously doesn't know how to handle entries that already exist in its database, so if you perform a full sd card scan when that img folder already has stuff in it it will create duplicates of every track that it already scanned before and stick an additional unique ID at the end of each.  I went in to browse the contents of this folder to realize that it had like 6 copies of every song in there.  over 16,000 files.

I then essentially sort of broke the internal memory by formatting it from within Windows.  This caused it to no longer show up as a mounted drive anymore.  Had to go in recovery mode on the DX50 to perform the factory reset there, to then notice that this factory reset has one extra step in it.  It formats the internal memory.  The drive then showed back up again in Windows with that img folder created, but empty.  

Then I insert my SD card, performed a full scan, stuck it back in my computer to see it had about 2,700 files in it.  So apparently that's all it should have, not 6+ duplicates of everything.  However then I unplugged the DX50 from my computer and up came the screen to scan the sd card again or browse files.  I should have hit browse files, but I hit the X in the top right corner thinking it would have the same effect but instead it performs another full SD card scan causing duplicates of everything.  Lol....   so I entered recovery mode again, factory reset and format, scanned the card again and left it at that.

I haven't experienced a single freeze since Friday, when I did this.  Not even from pausing and unpausing which would often times cause freezes before.  This is the most perfectly stable I've ever seen it.  Still using firmware 1.2.5 now though because I need a working gapless.  Hoping I go the rest of the week without issue, then I'll be super happy.  

Things to take away from this:
- The DX50 is incredibly fragile.  Do not perform sd card scans without ensuring the internal memory has actually been formatted first or the tracks being scanned haven't already been scanned.  The OS has very poor logic for handling scans and instead so easily makes a mess out of itself.
- This explains why the player was pretty stable the first week I got it and after I upgraded to firmware 1.2.3b because I was forced into a factory reset from the recovery menu.
- What iBasso

As a followup, it has been over a week now with the DX50 being under  heavy use.  Not a single freeze since I implemented the fix of having a clean database.  iBasso never responded back to my email in regards to my reporting to them the issue and proposed fix, but can only hope they get around to perfecting the stuff on their end.  At least from my end I can make the freezing stop, and anyone else who has had issues with freezing may want to make sure they don't have messy .img folders.  Those of you who haven't had issues, you probably have kept your internal memory nice and organized, and I should have thought about that a while ago.  The DX50 is wonderful for me now.  I now don't desire to get rid of it, or replace it.  It's being a reliable little thing.  

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #9,064 of 18,652
But seriously, USB transfers via DX50 are slow. Very slow. It's USB 2.0 but the throughput feels like USB 1.1. It's not really that bad but it feels like it. A USB 2.0 microSD card adapter will be much faster. Stepping up to a USB 3.0 adapter won't make any difference. The fastest benchmark for microSD writes is 50MB/s. That's slower than USB 2.0's maximum 60MB/s. So, don't waste your money; get a USB 2.0 adapter.

I have this SD / microSD card reader: 

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387813914&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+sd+card+reader

It is USB 3.0, works great, only costs like $7.  lol.  Hard to say that USB 3.0 adapters are wastes of money at that price, whether or not the potential speed increase actually does anything or not. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #9,065 of 18,652

Have you heard Tralucent 1Plus2's ?  If not, I highly suggest you do before you spend over $1K on anything else.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/tralucent-audio-1plus2-iem-appreciation-impressions-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665338/tralucent-audio-1plus2-review-caution-long-read

I have not, yet I can't say I've heard any headphone that costs over $350 either.  Lol.  So almost any high end headphone will most likely sound radically more impressive than what I'm use to.  I won't have the knowledge one way or the other to compare one high end headphone with another, and as such would be unable to give such a headphone an appropriate review.  Say, if I got the 1plus2, or the Kaiser 10, I'd have nothing to legitimately compare it to that people would even care about.  Unless, of course, I got both those headphones.  Otherwise I won't know why I'm missing either way, and don't really know what I'm missing now.  

The concept behind the 1plus2's seems cool.  Although some of the reviews has me a bit nervous about things.  Being universal in that size, might cause my ears to scream in pain.  Though one wouldn't know without trying, eh.  So many choices.  

Edit:  Perhaps I should try the multi-quote option with my posts.  lol.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #9,066 of 18,652
Ibasso PB2 in the house! Merry Christmas to me! :D

I need to get my hands on some Hirose connectors before I can try the balanced output but single ended sounds very promising. Physically it is a very nice fit with the DX50 but I'll need to make a new IC for it.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #9,068 of 18,652
Ibasso PB2 in the house! Merry Christmas to me!
biggrin.gif

I need to get my hands on some Hirose connectors before I can try the balanced output but single ended sounds very promising. Physically it is a very nice fit with the DX50 but I'll need to make a new IC for it.

"but I'll need to make a new IC for it."

We knew that, we'll be watching you building this IC and to report to us when done. Don't you want to build balance cables too or you are already equipped?

Merry Christmas btw to you and your family.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #9,071 of 18,652
  You can also go with the RSA Intruder, it handles balanced admirably well. I have paired the DX50 using the single line in and the balanced out and it sounds outstanding, the best synergy to date.

The Intruder was my first choice as well, then my Visa card suggested I should go for Ibasso instead. I kinda like the idea of sticking to one brand, too. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #9,073 of 18,652
This is either going to be brilliant or my worst idea ever:

A flat cable to sit sandwiched between the DX50 and the PB2, so I still have the headphone output and volume control at facing towards me when the DX50 is on my desk.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #9,075 of 18,652
The Intruder was my first choice as well, then my Visa card suggested I should go for Ibasso instead. I kinda like the idea of sticking to one brand, too. 

Exactly that... My bank account cant handle it lol

Plus i dont see any real benefit to the dac... Feel like its kind of wasted there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back