The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #9,091 of 18,652
looking for full size, closed (more or less) cans for the DX50, maybe not too hard to travel with. I sold my RS1's to a friend a while back. I have the super.fi 5's now and think they sound fine to me. seem to pair well with the DX50. $300-500usd, I may bend a little on that. something that would work without an amp in a pinch?. sort of lost after spending some time searching, thanks for any ideas.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #9,092 of 18,652
looking for full size, closed (more or less) cans for the DX50, maybe not too hard to travel with. I sold my RS1's to a friend a while back. I have the super.fi 5's now and think they sound fine to me. seem to pair well with the DX50. $300-500usd, I may bend a little on that. something that would work without an amp in a pinch?. sort of lost after spending some time searching, thanks for any ideas.

Sennheiser HD600 without a doubt. If you are in a pinch you can still use it on the DX50 HO without an amp and it will have enough volume to make you bob your head but not to loud levels. Big advantage with the headphones is they are relatively light. I hope you don't need noise cancellation cause being open ended you'll hear your neighbor sneeze. The Sennheiser Momentum over the ears is another pair I like too.

Another one I would recommend if you really need noise cancellation are the Bose QuietComfort QC15. They sound amazing and easily drivable without an amp.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #9,093 of 18,652
You definitely don't need an amp if you had a "boose" especially lots of it, coz you are going down lol :)

Kidding aside Sennheiser Momentum sounds good for the price and easy to drive and doesn't require an amp. Not to mention it look nice as well. I'll go for over-the-ear instead of on-ears.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #9,094 of 18,652
You definitely don't need an amp if you had a "boose" especially lots of it, coz you are going down lol :)

Kidding aside Sennheiser Momentum sounds good for the price and easy to drive and doesn't require an amp. Not to mention it look nice as well. I'll go for over-the-ear instead of on-ears.

Fixed :wink:

When I tried the Momentum on ears, I did not like the feeling of those pads touching my ears however one needs to be careful with over the ears. The cup is not that big so if you have relatively large ears, you are not going to like them. One more thing that I have had issues with. With the wear and tear (in a store for example) the cups tend to slide on the metal rail after some listening time so you end up having to adjust them constantly.

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #9,095 of 18,652
Most importantly when picking headphones: What sort of music will you be listening to?

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #9,097 of 18,652
What if one listens to all music genres?

then you should be able to get by with about half a dozen sets of cans if you're not too picky 
wink_face.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #9,098 of 18,652
Fixed
wink.gif

When I tried the Momentum on ears, I did not like the feeling of those pads touching my ears however one needs to be careful with over the ears. The cup is not that big so if you have relatively large ears, you are not going to like them. One more thing that I have had issues with. With the wear and tear (in a store for example) the cups tend to slide on the metal rail after some listening time so you end up having to adjust them constantly.

+1 I had the over ear momentums,they sound great with the dx50 and would really liked to have kept them but the pads were a bit too small for what I thought were my smallish ears
biggrin.gif
and i found myself adjusting them a lot so in the end just sold them...Now im patiently awaiting my noble 4 iem to pair up with the dx50
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #9,099 of 18,652
then you should be able to get by with about half a dozen sets of cans if you're not too picky :wink_face:

I wish it was that simple, I noticed that when moves from an ok headphone to a closer audiophile one, there is no way back but just forward and forward feels extremely expensive therefore hanging to what I can afford at the moment and hoping luck to blow wind in my back so I can make that step forward. Baby steps I guess. :wink:

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #9,102 of 18,652
how good is the pico slim? it's lack of girth is tempting compared to my jds labs C5. Is the sound comparable?

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9,103 of 18,652
  how good is the pico slim? it's lack of girth is tempting compared to my jds labs C5. Is the sound comparable?

I can't speak for the labs C5 comparison because I don't own or never owned it. I can speak about HeadAmp DAC/AMP lineups because I owned everyone of them at one time. My most favorite DAC/AMP is obviously the standard Pico but the thing I did not like too much was its inflated height which always made it odd to attach to a player. The sound though was exquisite. The Pico Slim on the other hand is pretty thin so it's not a big deal attaching it to the DX50. It also cradles nicely in your hand as long as you attach it with either Dura Lock or just a rubber band (that is my preference but that changes when I try to operate the DAP). Justin's amps are, shall I say, an amp with pretty much a true amplification, dark background that I am pretty sure it's because Justin's obsession in hand picking the parts. If your DAC output is excellent, the Pico Slim will carry the day, it does not seem to color the signal and I believe this is the ultimum characteristic one looks for an amp. It has digital pot control like the DX50 so no channel imbalance which is truly welcomed. It does not have a DAC, just to be clear. So sound wise, whatever your dap has, the Slim has.

I hope that answered your question.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #9,104 of 18,652

The Klipsch Status headphones sound pretty excellent from the DX50.  Loved the way these sound, and they seal out outside noise without the need for noise cancelling capabilities and batteries.
I ultimately returned mine, as I went in a different direction with more in ear headphones, but they were pretty nice at $250.  

Edit:  While these headphones sounded good, are are the best sounding over ear headphones I have personally ever got to hear, I ultimately had some major comfort issues with them.  But then, I haven't really found an ultimately comfortable pair of over ear headphones so I try to avoid them.  Good pair of in ear headphones is far more comfortable.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #9,105 of 18,652

The Sony MDR-7520 are a good all-rounder that pair well with the DX50. The only thing is they do not fold flat for carrying in a bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back