The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #8,836 of 18,652
  Oh, true that! Hmmmmmm.....but wouldn't that mean it'll still sound like a DX50? hahaha

Speaking of which...you've had a thread on the "perfect" amp for the '50. So...what amp are YOU buying, Soren?:)

I'm enjoying the HELL out of the Meier Quickstep and I have a PB2 on the way... Because reasons!

The Quickstep is utilizing something called "active balanced ground" which should have the same effect as going fully balanced, so it will be interesting to compare it to a balanced amp like the PB2. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #8,837 of 18,652
  I'm enjoying the HELL out of the Meier Quickstep and I have a PB2 on the way... Because reasons!

The Quickstep is utilizing something called "active balanced ground" which should have the same effect as going fully balanced, so it will be interesting to compare it to a balanced amp like the PB2. 

I look forward to your impressions of the PB2:)

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #8,839 of 18,652
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #8,840 of 18,652

Any impressions of the quickstep Soren? Especially maybe compared to the R1 (since that's what Ive been using for a few weeks).

Been half eyeing the quickstep for a bit now

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #8,841 of 18,652
So, I treated myself - the DX50 *wasn't* a treat, honest :wink: - to an iBasso silicone case and a JDS Labs C5 amp.

Man alive, even to my cloth/tin/wooden ears that amp is a big step up from the internal amp. Separation between instruments seems better and the 'blackness' of the gaps and silences is, well, blacker. This is with my v-moda M-80s and FW1.2.6, BTW.

In its own understated way, the case is pretty awesome too. It's that smooth, non-sticky kind of silicone and, as well as looking and feeling good, just works.

The above leads on to my question... Does anyone have any good suggestions for holding the two units together? The case kind of precludes using velcro and the wristbands I was planning on using (Songs For Slim FTW) are too big. Is there such a thing as a smaller circumference wristband, or are there any more interesting/creative options out there? Maybe iBasso or the amp makers could come up with something...

My only other problem is that my DX50/C5/M-80 combo is making my 'proper' non-moving rig seem a bit sub-optimal :frowning2: 

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #8,842 of 18,652
The above leads on to my question... Does anyone have any good suggestions for holding the two units together?

From what I gathered from other threads asking about it:

ALO sells three-packs for ten bucks. Yeowch. Probably the best quality, though.

Youth-sized silicone bands should be small enough. They may be too stretchy, though.

Hair elastics, the kinds without any metal bits, work well. Packs of 20 or so for $2-3 at your local CVS or Walgreens or whatever.

So do ~2" O-ring gaskets. A bit pricier than the hair elastics, less stretchy and more durable.

One guy is/was using the label bands from a couple of heads of broccoli.

Scotch/3M dual lock fastener is popular. The low profile kind has a very narrow gap between devices. The high profile kind leaves room enough for the interconnect loop if you don't go custom.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #8,843 of 18,652
Take a good look at the Ibasso D12. Dual WM8740 with a killer single-ended (op-amp rollable) amp. I've seen a couple of guys posting in this thread that it's a very nice addition to the DX50 :smile:

If you want a DAC/Amp combination with a different DAC chip than the WM8740 and where you can roll the OPamps why not try the Leckerton UHA-6S MKii.

The Leckerton has the CS4398 Cirrus Logic’s "flagship" digital-to-analog converter, although by all accounts the Amp is stronger than the DAC part.

It has Optical and coaxial S/PDIF digital inputs and is compatible with S/PDIF sources up to 24-bit/96kHz, so it can take the coaxial output of the DX50 at hirez.

As a DAC unit it also has USB in and is also compatible with the Apple for IOS 7 by using the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to output digital audio from the iPhone 5 or 5S or IPad. (Yep you don't need a ALO anymore)

It has rollable Amps - it ships with 2xAD8160RZ but mine has 2xOP627 (tubey,warm sounding ones). It seems there are at least five to chose from on the website. I haven't rolled any yet.

This means with these two units I can do the following :

1. Dx50 AMP to earphones
2. DX50 line out to Leckerton Amp to earphones
3. DX50 coaxial out to Leckerton DAC/Amp to earphones
4. IPhone 5 to Leckerton DAC/Amp to earphones
5. Laptop to Leckerton DAC/Amp to earphones

That is a pretty strong/cool list of options.

It sounds good too. Via the Dx50 line out, I love the warmth of the OP627 which complements the clarity, separation and slight brightness of the DX50.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8,844 of 18,652
  So, I treated myself - the DX50 *wasn't* a treat, honest :wink: - to an iBasso silicone case and a JDS Labs C5 amp.

Man alive, even to my cloth/tin/wooden ears that amp is a big step up from the internal amp. Separation between instruments seems better and the 'blackness' of the gaps and silences is, well, blacker. This is with my v-moda M-80s and FW1.2.6, BTW.

In its own understated way, the case is pretty awesome too. It's that smooth, non-sticky kind of silicone and, as well as looking and feeling good, just works.

The above leads on to my question... Does anyone have any good suggestions for holding the two units together? The case kind of precludes using velcro and the wristbands I was planning on using (Songs For Slim FTW) are too big. Is there such a thing as a smaller circumference wristband, or are there any more interesting/creative options out there? Maybe iBasso or the amp makers could come up with something...

My only other problem is that my DX50/C5/M-80 combo is making my 'proper' non-moving rig seem a bit sub-optimal :frowning2: 

Read this thread for options in stacking DX50 with an amp

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #8,845 of 18,652

Read this thread for options in stacking DX50 with an amp

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp

Interesting stuff, thanks :)

Velcro is out, 'cos I'm not mutilating/removing the silicone case. But, it's good to read that there are straps out there that will do the job. It's frustrating that I can't find the right google-fu to find them for sale in the UK, but at least it looks like the possibility exists...

Hmm. Worth emailing JDS to suggest that they start stocking them?

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #8,846 of 18,652

Velcro is out, 'cos I'm not mutilating/removing the silicone case. But, it's good to read that there are straps out there that will do the job. It's frustrating that I can't find the right google-fu to find them for sale in the UK, but at least it looks like the possibility exists...

This might do the job - I have a BH ampt with my DX50 and the fiio bands hold it quite tightly but still with some flex left in the band.  The C5 is bigger than the BH amp but for £2 (well £4 eventually as you'll need two) I think it's worth a shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Elastic-Band-For-Connecting-FiiO-to-device-5cm-/290998003220?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item43c0d52614

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #8,848 of 18,652

Everything that Ratinox said.  And in addition:  
Moon Audio has them for 2.50 USD.  I believe that I have seen pictures of Toxxic Cables bands on around head-fi.  They are based in the UK.  I looked at the Toxxic Cables website but didn't see any listed, but you could contact them to see.
We have a company around here called Defy Gravity that is a Trampoline Arena and they give out bands depending on what time you show up and how much you pay for.  The Small children's size work for my DAC/AMP combos, but the adult sizes do not.  So I would say don't just buy off the shelf bands because they are probably for adults.  You have to get child specific or audio equipment specific.
There is also something called Band-It.  Posted the link in post 4748, and there is a picture of my setup with band-it, hair bands, and Moon Audio rubber bands on post 4563 mentioned above.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-6/4740#post_9915112
(I know Sorensiim and some others don't like the bands, but I use them because I like silicone cases on the ipod touch.  I still use my touch when evaluating new albums since I can listen to them and rate them for smart playlist functions.)

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #8,849 of 18,652
  This might do the job - I have a BH ampt with my DX50 and the fiio bands hold it quite tightly but still with some flex left in the band.  The C5 is bigger than the BH amp but for £2 (well £4 eventually as you'll need two) I think it's worth a shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Elastic-Band-For-Connecting-FiiO-to-device-5cm-/290998003220?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item43c0d52614

Brilliant! Thank you! And I should get them by the weekend :)

But ::sigh:: why didn't I think of using 'elastic' as a search term? What a muppet...

And thank you too, Howlin F - much food for thought

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #8,850 of 18,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back