The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 17, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #8,806 of 18,652
Dec 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #8,807 of 18,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim

Here's one of Rudi's utterly crazy stacks:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/8760#post_10068456
Awesome! Might try it out then.

Edited by SkyBleu - Today at 1:00 am

Awesome! Might try it out then.

Crazy stack indeed. It hurts my head just by looking at it. I suppose it should blow up my head when I listen to it.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #8,810 of 18,652
Crazy stack indeed. It hurts my head just by looking at it. I suppose it should blow up my head when I listen to it.

It's called the ear grenade, set the dial low else you will fry the sensitive ear drums. I can only imagine the sound out of this stack. My best stack is only two level deep and I don't have the dac anymore. The sound was amazing but non portable so off it went, now I miss It. :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #8,813 of 18,652
Several of us have looked into it.

Unfortunately, it's more likely to happen later than sooner. While DX50 uses Android, mango (the player program) isn't an Android application. It runs natively on the system and drives the display directly. The firmware image files that are/were available from iBasso's site have been stripped of just about everything that isn't needed to make the device work and launch mango at boot. Running Android applications can't happen with DX50 as-is.

native android will be a miracle, I agree. For me the boot loader is the best think about dx50 if you want custom code on it.

(I need to investigate a bit more on the rock box source tree)

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #8,814 of 18,652
It's called the ear grenade, set the dial low else you will fry the sensitive ear drums. I can only imagine the sound out of this stack. My best stack is only two level deep and I don't have the dac anymore. The sound was amazing but non portable so off it went, now I miss It.
frown.gif

More isn't always better and with the DX50 dac implementation being so good I have no plans to start looking for another DAC. I'm looking forward to trying the PB2, but it has to be really something to replace the Quickstep in my stack.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #8,815 of 18,652
More isn't always better and with the DX50 dac implementation being so good I have no plans to start looking for another DAC. I'm looking forward to trying the PB2, but it has to be really something to replace the Quickstep in my stack.
+1.
I wouldn't get a DB2 unless you are using a it as a balanced DAC.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #8,816 of 18,652
+1.
I wouldn't get a DB2 unless you are using a it as a balanced DAC.

Trueché. That is a good point, so I'll back out of what ever plan I had. :)

My wallet was just getting healthier, so I decide to let me curiosity run wild. :p

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #8,818 of 18,652
I used to use db2 to intruder full balanced...but its a pain to remember to charge all these devices for commuting purposes...

How about when you weren't going balanced? Did the DB2 still have a worthy contribution to the sound, or did it become a minor?

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #8,819 of 18,652
I tried balanced and single ended on full-size headphone (T1).

Though the difference is nice, in the end I concluded the hassle of getting a balance setup is not worth the gain in SQ. The size and weight of your stack goes up exponentially.

Cables need to be re-terminated; getsheavy and clunky. You need a balanced DAC then amp. If you happen to find one device (balanced dac/amp) it's enormous compared to portable single-ended amp (or dac combo).

Not sure how big will the difference be with ciem going balanced. But lately, I find myself going as small as I can stack-wise and big as possible in SQ.

Still dreaming of that one DAP, one c/iem to rule them all setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back