The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #8,611 of 18,652
  A wonderful job in all respects, Sorensiim.

Back to the current firmware discussion:

Cross-fading "gapless" could be amusing, but defeats the purpose of gapless; to play music which does not originally have pauses between tracks.

The new wallpaper is annoying and visually noisy.  As previously suggested, the ability to upload wallpaper would be nice.  Basic black does the job just fine,

Thank you!

I absolutely detest the new broken gapless, completely ruins live albums for me 
mad.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #8,612 of 18,652
You are not alone I kind a like it, cross fading is a very common technique in DJing so I really don't mind it, I listened to lots of EDM music that uses it constantly so for me I don't notice it as much. I turned it off just to see if I could bare it but that did not work so fading gapless it is. My only point earlier is it'd be nice if they could allow us to set it through setting options on the DX50, that would make everyone happy.

I absolutely detest the new broken gapless, completely ruins live albums for me 
mad.gif

I agree that the cross-fade can be funky on certain studio albums. However funky is fine as a choice but it is no substitute for gapless (which was not perfect but actually pretty good on 1.2.5). The issue is not just live albums but also all the classic concept albums from the Who, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc. For example, when the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway transitions into Fly On A Windshield, that is a continuous piece of music divided into 'individual tracks' for cueing convenience. Cross-fade on this is a disaster.

Cross-fade is cross-fade; it is not gapless and no pretense should be made that it is.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #8,614 of 18,652

I agree that the cross-fade can be funky on certain studio albums. However funky is fine as a choice but it is no substitute for gapless (which was not perfect but actually pretty good on 1.2.5). The issue is not just live albums but also all the classic concept albums from the Who, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc. For example, when the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway transitions into Fly On A Windshield, that is a continuous piece of music divided into 'individual tracks' for cueing convenience. Cross-fade on this is a disaster.

Cross-fade is cross-fade; it is not gapless and no pretense should be made that it is.

Perhaps if we ask Ibasso to remove gapless altogether then they will get it right. It appears no one in Ibasso truely understand how gapless should work.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #8,615 of 18,652
Perhaps if we ask Ibasso to remove gapless altogether then they will get it right. It appears no one in Ibasso truely understand how gapless should work.

iBasso has stated that they will fix the gapless problem in the next release. They said it would not be difficult but that fixing the sleep timer might take a little longer.

Give them credit for trying...that is a lot more than many companies do once they launch a new product.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8,620 of 18,652
iBasso has stated that they will fix the gapless problem in the next release. They said it would not be difficult but that fixing the sleep timer might take a little longer.

Give them credit for trying...that is a lot more than many companies do once they launch a new product.

Totally agree on that.

I don't think we have to worry about sleep timer, it ain't working so that can take a back seat and no one is going to miss it but gapless has to be fixed pronto.

Very true gapless has been around long enough to be part of the player well understood features and am positive iBasso realized that but between two wrongs I'll pick the welcome improved 1.2.6 scanning features which head ache lasts a lot longer than a feeble 5 second at the end of a song. I guess iBasso has learned a hard lesson on regression testing (make sure you have not broken what is already working).

I still stand behind the option of enabling crossfade even including a timing fading slope say a 2, 5 second crossfade slope but again I might be asking something very hard to get (I seriously doubt that is the case) and with some of the promised features, this will definitively take a back seat.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #8,622 of 18,652
  how is 1.2.6 FW compares to 1.2.5? is it worth spending time on update? i am on 1.2.5 now

yes - I like the fading out and in on the track change over, but am probably in a minority looking at the comments on here. The scanning is now very good. The sleep function doesn't work for me. I didn't notice too much of a change in the sound stage. Give it a go, you can always change back if you dislike it.....

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #8,623 of 18,652
Just for the fun of it I put my iPhone 5s music (which portion I already had on it that now the DX50 contains) and Apple version of gapless which is what any other vendors would have is:

<----------Song 1-----------------------><---------Song2--------------------->
no time gap between song 1 and 2 so when song 1 ends, song 2 starts immediately, no 5 seconds, no 10 seconds just stitched together.

Is that what you are expecting from the DX50?

The 5 second and 10 seconds setting in this situation does appear strange.

So DX50:

<----------Song 1----------------------->
                                                 <---------Song2--------------------->
                                                 <---> : 5 to 10 seconds setting which is not truly gapless in the current market sense, more like a 5 to 10 second lead.

I can't hardly see how one can program gapless with a 5 to 10 seconds of what, I am not too sure what that is? Right now, the cross fade is a little closer to the true gapless so now the only thing they need to do is remove cross fade and stich the songs together and voila gapless it is.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #8,625 of 18,652
  Yeah, Soren seems to be here fairly often, so it should be in good hands:) 

Yeah, I agree. If the cross-fading had it's own settings option, that'd be better, seeing that people are going nuts of the failure of the "gapless" functionality. 
Either way, it's a plus for me (because I don't care all that much for gapless in the first place), because all of my songs just turned into a massive mash-up!

Honestly, i'd like the crossfade if it was correctly made. Losing the first few beats off African Drop from a Knife Party remix, or the first few seconds out of a NIN song, really bothers me. The crossfade just doesn't sound right to me. Actually, i'm missing most of the beginnings of all songs. I guess it could be the 5 seconds setting, but turned off still does some sketchy fades. It could be a nice compromise to add both Gapless and Crossfade, but i don't think Crossfading would be "bit-perfect", would it?

Regarding the battery drain, i've been having some weird issues too, specially yesterday, when i left my DX50 resting, but turned on for around 30 minutes or so, was almost full, but when i came back to pick it up, was almost to the 2 last bars, on the last few minutes of the second to last bar. I came back to the 1.2.6 because i was doing some testing between the firmwares and i might do some try-outs to see if it is the firmware, because if i remember correctly, on 1.2.2 didn't had this issue...

Btw, thank you musicheaven and Sorensiim, i was looking for the 1.1.6, and actually had no idea there was a 1.1.5, mine came with 1.1.0 and went right to 1.1.6, this could help further the testing i've been doing with the different sound signatures between the firmwares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back