The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #8,311 of 18,652
Hey Fellow DX50 owners,
I just wanted to know your thoughts on bypassing the DX50 DAC using the coaxial out.
What portable DACs can improve the DX50 sound even more?
Is the DB2 PB2 combination worth getting?
Are there other portable DACs people can recommend to use with the DX50?
And does the sound improve significantly?

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #8,313 of 18,652
Hey Fellow DX50 owners,
I just wanted to know your thoughts on bypassing the DX50 DAC using the coaxial out.
What portable DACs can improve the DX50 sound even more?
Is the DB2 PB2 combination worth getting?
Are there other portable DACs people can recommend to use with the DX50?
And does the sound improve significantly?

I used the iBasso D12 with the double WM8740 dacs and the sound was amazing.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #8,315 of 18,652
Sold his DX50
frown.gif

That's a shame :frowning2: saying this I'm interested to see if the new FW has helped with digitalfreaks player? Hope he still reads the thread.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #8,316 of 18,652
I've sold both now, however owned them at the same time

DX50 is a clear step up from the J3, and I really liked J3. You'll immediately  notice higher resolution, better detail extension, soundstage width to me was roughly the same, separation also about even (maybe slightly better on DX50). and a really good swing or rhythm to DX50 it has noticeable good PRaT, good forward motion to your music thanks to the DAC section. The UI on J3 I still prefer and the size, it's a wonderful looking unit but won't keep up with the power and internal amp section of DX50. it's just a clear step up you'll notice more bite to vocals better instrument realism and a bigger headstage (the actual size of the presentation) it makes the J3 sound a little toyish to be honest and I wasn't a huge fan of DX50 personally however, it beats the J3. 

Personally though I'd go for the Hisound Studio V, that's were I stayed and loving life. :wink:

I agree with the comparisons with the j3 which I loved for a long time. Studio v anniversary also sounds very good but the hiss killed it for me since I was not using it with an amp. I only used IEMs with it (same with the j3 and dx50).

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #8,317 of 18,652
For me, firmware 1.2.6 also freezes randomly while playing back music.  So the stability of this new firmware is the same as any other non beta version I've had.

And while I love the progress bar while scanning and faster bootup time, the not working gapless is, in fact, a deal breaker.  Had to revert to a previous firmware version until the next firmware comes out, hopefully with a working gapless.  Not sure why gapless even became an issue, my regular HTC android phone does perfect gapless and doesn't even have any options in regards to its performance.  I still don't even get what the 5 sec or 10 sec options mean, unless they intended that to mean that length of the crossfade that apparently wasn't working as they intended it to be previously.  In which case, I prefer their bugged out gapless mode. lol

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #8,318 of 18,652
For me, firmware 1.2.6 also freezes randomly while playing back music.  So the stability of this new firmware is the same as any other non beta version I've had.

And while I love the progress bar while scanning and faster bootup time, the not working gapless is, in fact, a deal breaker.  Had to revert to a previous firmware version until the next firmware comes out, hopefully with a working gapless.  Not sure why gapless even became an issue, my regular HTC android phone does perfect gapless and doesn't even have any options in regards to its performance.  I still don't even get what the 5 sec or 10 sec options mean, unless they intended that to mean that length of the crossfade that apparently wasn't working as they intended it to be previously.  In which case, I prefer their bugged out gapless mode. lol

I checked the clock when the first song is about to finish and the other one to start. The 5 or 10 seconds is the time the gapless kicks in which means 5 or10 seconds before the prior song ends and the next one begins. Give it a try and check the song timeline when gapless starts, you'll see.

I have no issues whatsoever with random freezes, it just goes until I press pause or it reaches the album end so not sure what your issue is.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #8,319 of 18,652

Don't have any freezing on mine. In fact, it hasn't frozen ever since I got it a few weeks ago.

Yeah, the gapless implementation doesn't quite make sense to me as well. It really isn't true gapless but more like a workaround. Good thing I really don't care much about gapless anyway.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #8,320 of 18,652
I really wish I knew why mine freezes.  Reeeallly wish it made sense, but apparently others have reported the same freezing issues.  So I'm not alone, even if it's not happening to everyone.  I actually would have stopped using the DX50 and went back to using my smart phone if it weren't the fact that I'm spoiled now with the 256 volume steps, compared to my phones 8 volume steps.  Can never find the perfect volume with my phone... lol.

Thus why I am interested in trying out Fiio, mostly the x5 when it is released to compare to the DX50 directly.  If I like the Fiio more, I'll get rid of the DX50.  Hopefully something is more stable.  My phone has no difficulty with my music collection. With the OS all being Android I was actually expecting something a bit more stable. 

Fortunately for me, I was never spoiled by the Apple iPod UI because I personally hated it.  I hated my iPod.  Was a piece of trash as far as I was concerned.  Was by far my least favorite portable audio player I ever had, it got replaced while it was still working fine out of pure hate for it.  Ever since I have despised Apple products.  I have a grudge towards them, and they certainly burned some bridges with me.  :p

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #8,323 of 18,652
Took me about 5 days of listening to roughly 8 hours a day (~40 hours). Already on day 2 it sounded better. The headphones and iems you use will also make a difference. My best headphones are my Sennheiser HD600, I just can't get anything better. Mind you I don't have expensive headphones so I am sure those would most likely sound better.

May I know whether DX50 is able to empower ur HD600 directly or need an additional amp in between?

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #8,324 of 18,652
If it's not static or any of the other suggestions then I'm figuring it's bad media. A flaky uSD card or USB stick. A damaged file system on same. Try checking and repairing the card/stick on a desktop or notebook computer.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #8,325 of 18,652
Mine has some random freezing problems and instability as well, it randomly goes back to the previous song even though that song may be in a different folder.  I've also had some blank screens show up while navigating through the settings. This tends to happens when navigating quickly.  I also notice less depth in the sound stage, singers that were more towards the from of the head are now higher and towards the back, does anyone else notice this? I prefer a more 3-D sound stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back