The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #7,771 of 18,652
I doubt anyone will seriously consider using a SSD as an OTG solution. It's just not cost effective enough to be used as a music storage medium.

Good thing I haven't mentioned my potentially EXPENSIVE dream combination!

DX50 + Kingston 512GB data traveller!!!!

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-DTHXP30-512GB-DataTraveler/dp/B00AV3XGPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386071103&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston+Technology+DTHXP30%2F512GB+512GB+USB+3.0+DataTraveler+HyperX+Predator+Flash+Drive

biggrin.gif

On a serious note, I think SSD will be the thing to go after if it works with DX50's OTG.
You just have to do quick math for a 512GB robust storage scenario.

- MicroSD with 512GB> Not likely any time soon and it will be expensive as hell!
- USB OTG using flash memory stick> Already on the market but it's still very expensive due to small size.
- USB OTG using SSD> Will always be the cheapest option for OTG using SSD. We only have to prove it works! Anyone has an external SSD and a DX50?

Of course I'm not covering all possible scenarios but I didn't want to get into "explosive devices" territory as I saw in another thread (pic below)

About the cost-effectiveness of SSD, I think it is reaching a very reasonable position on that regard.

Now, if someone could prove that the technology works with DX50 without any additional power... 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #7,772 of 18,652

About the cost-effectiveness of SSD, I think it is reaching a very reasonable position on that regard.

Now, if someone could prove that the technology works with DX50 without any additional power... 

The more, the merrier? 
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #7,773 of 18,652
  I'm intrigued by one of these, but I'm not 100% sure if it's for me.. I have tried to wade through this thread, but it's not really possible to digest it all - it's huge! So, forgive my laziness, but could you comment on these questions?

1. I think I saw that there have been 5 FW updates (and by the looks of it, a ton of problems). Would you say that the DX50 is "fixed" now? or near enough?

2. For portable use, I'd be pairing it with my Sennheiser Momentums or some Klipsch S4is (initially anyway) - decent match?

3. I'm also wondering if it could be used as the source for my home setup. Right now I used my Macbook (with Audirvana) to feed my DA&T DAC/ AMp and HE 500s. It's a bit of a pain to set up though. Could I connect the DX50 to my DAC/ Amp via coaxial and get similar (better?) quality as I get out of my Mac setup (which is connected via USB). Forgive my ignorance, but would it bypass the DX50s own DAC and amp that way?

Regarding Q3 i do this all the time - dx50 as digital transport, coax to TEAC balanced DAC and then via XLR into balanced 20year old, 30 kg Denon amp:  sounds beauteous! Of course, it`s just shunting 01010101s in this mode, so no reason to discuss the dx50`s sound quality (though I know there`s nothing off limits for debate here: how are those different batteries sounding?).  I do miss my Fidelia EQ functions on my mac when I use the dx50, but all my music is high-quality so it`s no biggie.  

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #7,775 of 18,652

1/ As someone who had scanning issues with the player, I think it is near enough to being fixed now.

2/ I have been using it with Momentums, albeit with ann Alo National amp in between.    The Momentums are easy enough to drive that it shouldn't be a problem

3/  If you use the coax out, then yes, it would bypass your DX50's DAC.   However, I have not first-hand experience there, so cannot comment on the quality. 

Regarding Q3 i do this all the time - dx50 as digital transport, coax to TEAC balanced DAC and then via XLR into balanced 20year old, 30 kg Denon amp:  sounds beauteous! Of course, it`s just shunting 01010101s in this mode, so no reason to discuss the dx50`s sound quality (though I know there`s nothing off limits for debate here: how are those different batteries sounding?).  I do miss my Fidelia EQ functions on my mac when I use the dx50, but all my music is high-quality so it`s no biggie.  

Thank you both for the answers... you may have convinced me to pull the trigger on one of these :) A new toy! Marvellous....

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #7,776 of 18,652
What kind of files did you test it with?
I think FLAC files are sucking out more juice from the battery.

what was the gain set on?

My music library installed on the (DX50 via 64gb San Disk Ultra MicroSDXC) consists of 1552 FLAC and 93 MP3.

I have the gain set at Low (using V-Moda M-100 and Sennheiser Momentum, both low impedence headphones) no need to set to a higher gain and I don't hear any hiss.  And the headphones were plugged directly into the DX50 (no external amp) via Headphone Out.

I am pleased with the battery life that I got yesterday (of course could always use a little more, mind you my previous player was iPod Classic which got about 30+ hours).  I am wondering as the battery completes a few more discharge/charge cycles will I see a little increase in battery performance?

Today, I am going to use the DX50 with external amp via Line Out.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #7,777 of 18,652
FYI, as I was doing my test yesterday I was constantly monitoring the battery meter.  It appears that I got about 2 hours on each bar and the last bar lasted the longest at about 3.5 hours.  So, if you player behaves like mine, when you are on that last bar you still have a few hours left of music enjoyment.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7,779 of 18,652
FYI, as I was doing my test yesterday I was constantly monitoring the battery meter.  It appears that I got about 2 hours on each bar and the last bar lasted the longest at about 3.5 hours.  So, if you player behaves like mine, when you are on that last bar you still have a few hours left of music enjoyment.

I'm getting the same result. 1bar/2hours and more than 3hours for the last bar. I'm still using the stock battery. I'll be getting a genuine S III battery to check if theres any changes between the sound and battery life.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #7,780 of 18,652

Thank you both for the answers... you may have convinced me to pull the trigger on one of these :) A new toy! Marvellous....

You're welcome.   As someone who owns both a DX50 and X3, I find iBasso's customer service more responsive and willing to work to find solutions to problems that go beyond step 1 troubleshooting (although I also appreciate the work the FiiO guys are doing).

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7,781 of 18,652

Maybe. mSATA SSDs (1.8") require 3.3V which is the maximum that USB On-the-Go can provide (assuming I've interpreted the specs correctly). Standard SATA SSDs (2.5") draw 5V which is more than USB OTG can provide. There are mSATA to USB 3.0 enclosures out there so it might be possible.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #7,782 of 18,652
  My replacement has arrived and the play button works!
biggrin.gif

Now time for some serious testing.... 

Good for you.  Mine went out yesterday after some runaround between the vendor and the manufacturer.  I had the same problem with the play/pause button non-functional.  I'm without a decent FLAC player so I'm using my Clip-Zip as a mediocre substitute.

How did they ship your replacement and did they provide a tracking number?

Thanks and happy listening.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #7,783 of 18,652
  Maybe. mSATA SSDs (1.8") require 3.3V which is the maximum that USB On-the-Go can provide (assuming I've interpreted the specs correctly). Standard SATA SSDs (2.5") draw 5V which is more than USB OTG can provide. There are mSATA to USB 3.0 enclosures out there so it might be possible.

I can't comment on those technicalities, but reading some information about this product, it seems to announce smartphone compatibility. 

http://news.cision.com/integral-memory-plc/r/integral-introduces-the-usb-3-0-portable-solid-state-drive,c9372294

So, if it could work on a smartphone it could also work on DX50. 
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #7,784 of 18,652
Dec 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #7,785 of 18,652
Just wondering have any European folk received their silicone cases yet? Should be seeing them towards the end of this week I hope having ordered a couple of weeks ago.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back