The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #7,546 of 18,652
Did some more extensive listening using the Vsonic VSD1S and now I'm thinking the DX50 may just not be for me. For reference I prefer a mid-forward sound signature. Also the main thing I listen for is clarity in vocals. Just not getting it with the DX50. Thought it was just a synergy issue with the re400 but it's not where I want it to be with the VSD1s, although it is improved. I posted up quick impressions after 1 song but it seemed like it was the recording of the song that made it sound good. I listened to several other songs and the vocals sound like they are going through a megaphone or something making it sound slightly unnatural lol. Dang it!

This is the same thing I thought till they burned it totally in, how many hours do you have on them now? Also, I do have my EQ set to classical which I do like a lot and helps in some of the week ness of the player. Also all of my songs on the player are in FLAC. I am referring to the Vsonic VSD1s.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #7,548 of 18,652
This is the same thing I thought till they burned it totally in, how many hours do you have on them now? Also, I do have my EQ set to classical which I do like a lot and helps in some of the week ness of the player. Also all of my songs on the player are in FLAC. I am referring to the Vsonic VSD1s.

I also very much like the Classical preset. It seems to work very well with all genre's of music. I have used it since I received my DX50.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #7,549 of 18,652

I haven't tried it on the classical setting. Usually I am not a fan of preset EQs. But I will try it tonight and report back!

As far as burn in goes I won't get into that because I have my own opinions on it :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7,552 of 18,652
Hey guys, question.  How good is the sorting of music with tags work on the latest firmware?  I have a great need for a player which can actually sort albums with the "album artist" tag instead of just the "artist" tag, otherwise albums with different artist names always get split up into separate albums.  Apparently the X3 does not have this feature, which leads me over to here, which would be my second choice.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #7,554 of 18,652
I haven't tried it on the classical setting. Usually I am not a fan of preset EQs. But I will try it tonight and report back!

As far as burn in goes I won't get into that because I have my own opinions on it :)

Sounds good, I'm thinking of selling my X3. Have you tried an amp, I use my C&C bh2 and this gives it a different sound sig. I guess in the end though, the DX50 is not for everyone. Have you tried the Vsonics with any other source?

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #7,555 of 18,652
I have question about connecting an amp to the DX50. According to the FAQ page it recommends turning the volume all the way up to 255. My question(s); wouldn't this put a lot of load on the battery causing it to deplete faster? Secondly, what if you did the opposite, connect an external amp, and turned the volume down? Lastly, when connecting an amp do you control volume through the amp or is the volume still controlled by the DAP?

Thanks for any input.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #7,556 of 18,652
I have question about connecting an amp to the DX50. According to the FAQ page it recommends turning the volume all the way up to 255. My question(s); wouldn't this put a lot of load on the battery causing it to deplete faster? Secondly, what if you did the opposite, connect an external amp, and turned the volume down? Lastly, when connecting an amp do you control volume through the amp or is the volume still controlled by the DAP?

Thanks for any input.

The load on the battery should be minimal as you are not using the amp section in the DAP just adjusting the line level out.
You want the line out to be at an acceptable level so that the amp you connect has a clean signal with enough voltage/signal into the amp.  This will depend on what amp you use and what it needs as an input (this is a good reason to have the adjustable line level in the first place).  You tweak it for the best sound.
You would control the volume on the amp.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #7,559 of 18,652
LO has no hiss but not amped. Anyone tried to pair it with a JDS C5?

actually the power from LO is well enough for nornal iem. the amps around this price will do a better job than the internal amp.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #7,560 of 18,652
Sounds good, I'm thinking of selling my X3. Have you tried an amp, I use my C&C bh2 and this gives it a different sound sig. I guess in the end though, the DX50 is not for everyone. Have you tried the Vsonics with any other source?

I do have the C&C BH2 but not using it until my interconnect comes in. I'll decide whether I want to sell the dx50 after I pair them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back