The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #7,516 of 18,652
Well, on a second go, both outputs (line/headphone) were working in the car.  Dunno, odd.  Maybe I duffed something initially.

I am quite liking the player - I am going to have to seriously figure out how to do a lot of metadata editing.  I am using MusicBee and albums/genres are all over the place from my rip from EAC.  The bugger is going to be hard ones like a song I have that showes in MB as Ivy Levan but for some reason shows up in the player as Ivy Lervan (which of course adds yet another artist to the plethora on the list).  Doesn't help I have a lot of lounge style music which has a lot of one song artists.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #7,517 of 18,652
I'm still having problems with scans, followed tips from everyone.
Used Mp3Tag to go through and clean any tags, removed embedded album art and just dropped in a jpg file into the folder, also I numbered my tracks in the title of the songs. Ie. 1 - The Mother We Share etc.

It takes a lot less time to scan but not everything shows up first time, sometimes selecting an album it will re-scan and sometimes freezes, also its doing a weird thing where track 10 is 2nd in the list. Any more tips?
Thanks.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #7,518 of 18,652
I'm still having problems with scans, followed tips from everyone.
Used Mp3Tag to go through and clean any tags, removed embedded album art and just dropped in a jpg file into the folder, also I numbered my tracks in the title of the songs. Ie. 1 - The Mother We Share etc.

It takes a lot less time to scan but not everything shows up first time, sometimes selecting an album it will re-scan and sometimes freezes, also its doing a weird thing where track 10 is 2nd in the list. Any more tips?
Thanks.

Not sure about the scanning, but for the numbering, you should use 2 digit numbering.  01, 02, 03...10, 11.  That will clear up the problem of your 10 showing up second.  

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #7,519 of 18,652
Track ten is showing as the second track because you haven't got a leading zero in-front of track one.  Sequence should be 01, 02, 03, .... 10, 11.... 

With regards to freeze's the only additional thing to mention is possibly extended tags, see post 7423.  Additionally, the resolution of your jpegs might be too large, I typically use 250x250 pixels.  A great tool for batch resizing would be FastStone Image viewer.  It will scan a full directory and resize existing jpegs.

Also, just check the that there are no other latent files on your card, be sure to show hidden files, then search the root directory by putting a '.' in the search feild, this will list all files without having to enter each sub folder separately.    

Finally, do a power + volume up reset to wipe the database once you're certain that your memory card in the best possible condition.

I know you may have tried these already as they have been mentioned previously in this thread but I can't think of anything more I'm afraid.  

Edit: HF you beat me to it..... great minds think alike 
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #7,521 of 18,652
Thanks guys!, will add them 0's in now.
I used the info in post 7423, but will double check, won't hurt I suppose. 
jpg are about 500x500, to big?

You don't need to add the track number in the title, just leave the track number in the track tag and use the tag to file name feature of mp3tag to embed the track number and title in the file name. Make sure the track number is prefixed with 0 for track 1 to 9. I usually use the 30 char limit from the conversion routine so the name stays short. I believe it orders the tracks using the file name. See if that would work for you.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #7,522 of 18,652
jpg are about 500x500, to big?

No I'd say that's fine - I'd only keep them that size or bigger if you plan on using software that will display a large image, e.g. iTunes.  If you had anything smaller than 250x250 then they would appear pixelated in iTunes.  Word of warning, worth having them a little bigger than run the risk of them being too small.  You can always resize down but if you resize up they will DEFINITELY be pixelated.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #7,524 of 18,652
Did some more extensive listening using the Vsonic VSD1S and now I'm thinking the DX50 may just not be for me. For reference I prefer a mid-forward sound signature. Also the main thing I listen for is clarity in vocals. Just not getting it with the DX50. Thought it was just a synergy issue with the re400 but it's not where I want it to be with the VSD1s, although it is improved. I posted up quick impressions after 1 song but it seemed like it was the recording of the song that made it sound good. I listened to several other songs and the vocals sound like they are going through a megaphone or something making it sound slightly unnatural lol. Dang it!

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #7,525 of 18,652
Thanks Ratinox.
So, for 24 bit songs at a lower volume, lower resolution? Or does de Wolfson add bits to keep the resolution untouched?

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #7,526 of 18,652
I got an email from iBasso concerning my mis-aligned battery cover and they said they would send me a replacement cover and silicone case, but also stated that it won't guarantee a perfect fit.  Well it's at least worth a shot.  Pretty nice of them to throw in the silicone case.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7,528 of 18,652
Trying to understand ......

If gain (or volume increase) adds a zero what does amplification do differently? Or is amplification am analogue process?

It's not adding a zero. It's doubling the value. The number "1" in a 4-bit representation is "0001" (I'm shifting left in this example). If you shift left by 1 bit you get "0010" which equals 2. Shift again and get "0100" which equals 4. Shift again and you get 8. Shift again... and the bit falls off the end -- it gets clipped. This technically is not gain but the results are similar enough. Gain and amplification are modifications to electrical signals on a line. They're both analog processes (that's why "digital gain" isn't really gain).

Gain is the ratio of input voltage to output voltage across a circuit. It's a simple additive process: increase volts = increase power. The problem is that gain introduces distortion which you typically don't want unless you're a rock guitarist and you want distortion. Gain happens in the preamplifier stage. Going back to digital gain, you may not need a preamp if the signal coming out of the DAC is line level. I'm not sure if the Wolfson DAC does this or if DX50 has a preamp. Either way, you're getting line level voltage on the LO jack.

Audio power amplification takes the output from the preamp (or perhaps directly from the DAC) and boosts it. Gain is involved, but so are filters (tubes, transistors, FETs, etc.) to clean up the noise caused by manipulating gain. It's a power-hungry step. A power amp needs to boost the signal beyond what is needed for driving speakers. It then filters out the noise. The filter mechanisms turn noise -- that is, the parts of the electrical signals that are not desired -- into heat. That's why amplifiers get warm.

Does that help?

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #7,530 of 18,652
  Thanks Ratinox.
So, for 24 bit songs at a lower volume, lower resolution? Or does de Wolfson add bits to keep the resolution untouched?

I don't know the answer to that. As I wrote above, shifting is a doubling of value which roughly corresponds to a doubling of power/volume. The part that I don't understand is in the digital to analog conversion stage. It's easy to say, but the actual processing? I don't understand the math.

As for clipping and "resolution"? I could go on at length about that but this isn't the forum for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back