The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #7,352 of 18,652
  Sweet jebus this sounds nice.

Even though people said it doesn't quite have enough juice to drive the HD600s, on high gain and high enough volume it sounds beautiful. 

I haven't had any bugs or issues with this yet either. 

I'd love them to add a 'rate music' feature, but more importantly allow me to access the 'delete song' option directly from now playing without having to browse for it.

HD800s sound shockingly good from line out, too.

+1 on the delete-on-the-fly option:  it would really help me optimize my music collection.  Still, it is so nice having that big fat physical button to skip to next track when something comes on that I`m not into hearing at that moment....

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #7,353 of 18,652
Further observations:

It doesn't work with my Honda Fit's audio system. The system recognizes a device is attached but after a few seconds it flashes "UNSUPPORTED" on the console. Can't use Honda's USB for playback or power. :p

Shure SE215 IEMs recommended elsewhere do sound quite good paired with DX50.

I still prefer my KRK KNS-8400's.

But Oh-Em-Gee! My old HD-600's... if you have a pair and you haven't tried them yet then what are you waiting for? Set the gain to HI and enjoy. If I could wear my HD-600's on the subway they'd replace my 8400's in a heartbeat.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #7,354 of 18,652
I was just thinking..

This thing can play music from OTG devices.

What's stopping them from treating a PC as an OTG device? Essentially, being able to map a specific folder on a computer's hard disk and picking up audio files directly from there?

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #7,355 of 18,652
What's stopping them from treating a PC as an OTG device? Essentially, being able to map a specific folder on a computer's hard disk and picking up audio files directly from there?

Short version: desktop and notebook computers are root hubs. There must be one and only one root hub on a chain of USB devices. This prevents the DAP from switching from mass storage to root hub.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #7,356 of 18,652
I jumped from FW 1.1.6 to 1.2.3 beta, here are my sound impressions:

FW 1.1.6: amazing treble, very extended and realistic. Bass is tight and "tactile". But the overall presentation is flat, lacks vitality.

FW 1.2.3 beta: very appreciable sub-bass boost at the detriment of tightness and texture. Overall sounds less transparent, less detailed and less natural. The mids are laidback, comparatively lacking presence and body, and the treble is recessed. Increased soundstage.

Still not quite there for me.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #7,358 of 18,652
Is it possible to map a drive and use it as such, though?

Of course there would have to be a layer of code in there to facilitate such a thing, either on the computer or the device or maybe even both. I know I don't know the gritty details of limitations on how you can direct data through hardware, but it seems like something you *should* be able to do in principle. Maybe just not with the existing OTG programming, and maybe even not with a regular USB connection (eg: could require writing a specific driver for the device to allow it to interface in such a manner with the computer).

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #7,359 of 18,652
  I jumped from FW 1.1.6 to 1.2.3 beta, here are my sound impressions:

FW 1.1.6: amazing treble, very extended and realistic. Bass is tight and "tactile". But the overall presentation is flat, lacks vitality.

FW 1.2.3 beta: very appreciable sub-bass boost at the detriment of tightness and texture. Overall sounds less transparent, less detailed and less natural. The mids are laidback, comparatively lacking presence and body, and the treble is recessed. Increased soundstage.

Still not quite there for me.

Why would you jump to the beta FW coming from 1.1.6? Have you tried 1.2.5? Like many have noticed the 1.2.3b is a bass boost sacrificing a little details in mid/high compared to the official FW.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,361 of 18,652
hey guys, I just saw a deal up on amazon for 64gb micro sd cards from sandisk and transcend for 34.99usd. anyone have experiences with them on the dx50?

cheers :)

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #7,363 of 18,652
64GB really is not enough especially for hi res files. I decided to get the full SD adapter so I can use a 128GB card (soon a 256GB
tongue_smile.gif
)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KZ-B19-065-SD-to-Micro-SD-FPC-Extender-/321250404864?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:SG:3160

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #7,364 of 18,652
I'm using OTG cable 128g flash drive and it's been great soo far!!  Only problem is that I need to buy more music to fill that space...HDtrack is great place to buy but right now price is little stiff for me!!  
deadhorse.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #7,365 of 18,652
  well it says fat 32 in windows after being formatted by easeus partition. The cards work fine on my note 3. My 32 gb sd card works as the scan feature comes up. Both my sandisk and toshiba 64gb cards don't work as the dx50 just does not recognise it at all.

Just an update on this issue and share my experience: Went and bought a kingston 64gb card today and popped it in the DX50 straight away and it works fine. I'm not sure why it didn't work with the other 2 cards as it may be due to me using it in the note 3 first or the computer didn't format it properly. I think the latest firmware is pretty stable as I tried to downgrade to the previous firmware and it got stuck on the welcome screen and wouldn't turn off. When updating the firmware make sure you don't have an external card in the DX50 as mine just froze. Other than that everything else seems to be fine now which is a relief. Battery life with the latest firmware lasted around 10.5 hours using mid gain with volume at 210. Scanning time for 10gb took about 5 minutes the first time and less than 5 seconds every time I turn it on.

Also a quick note for those from Australia ordering from MP4nation that I ordered mine on the 11/10/2013 and received it 21/11/2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back