The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 4, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #13,006 of 18,652
  Single folder play isn't the worst thing in the world.  But if I were a programmer I'd make it possible to flow automatically from folder to folder.  It's a logical way to play music.  

I browse by nothing else but folder selection. Album, Genre, Artist etc doesn't interest me. I believe in a day when you placed a CD in a discman (or CD player) and actually listened to an entire album right through, or skipping to a track you want to listen too. No bubble gum playlists, no popcorn sort me out by the year of 1969. Just play the damn album. 

May 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #13,007 of 18,652
Hah.  I started out playing 78s and LPs and then 45s.  You (if you had a nice fancy car) could listen to AM while driving.  When I was in high school the first transistor radios came out and you could listen to AM while walking.  I didn't have a car radio until my mid-late 20s.  We used to sing on long trips.  

So yeah, I'm an album kinda guy, too.  When I think of music that I know, I think of it in album order.  I still call CDs "records."  But now, when I walk, I'd like it if when an album finished playing the next one in line would start up.  I actually got fond of the DJay app that you can use on an Apple device that would crossfade from one song to the next (like late-60s FM used to do back in the glory days).  For me, walking is when I listen, so the less I have to pull the device out of its bag and change to the next album the easier it is for me.  It was REAL fun with the C3, as I could barely see inside the little window (especially in the sun) to see what I was choosing.  It's much easier with the DX50.  As you said when I was thinking about getting it, I'd love the UI, and I do.  I use Directory>SD Card to scroll through my music, in Artist order, album by album.      

May 4, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #13,008 of 18,652
  Hah.  I started out playing 78s and LPs and then 45s.  You (if you had a nice fancy car) could listen to AM while driving.  When I was in high school the first transistor radios came out and you could listen to AM while walking.  I didn't have a car radio until my mid-late 20s.  We used to sing on long trips.  

So yeah, I'm an album kinda guy, too.  When I think of music that I know, I think of it in album order.  I still call CDs "records."  But now, when I walk, I'd like it if when an album finished playing the next one in line would start up.  I actually got fond of the DJay app that you can use on an Apple device that would crossfade from one song to the next (like late-60s FM used to do back in the glory days).  For me, walking is when I listen, so the less I have to pull the device out of its bag and change to the next album the easier it is for me.  It was REAL fun with the C3, as I could barely see inside the little window (especially in the sun) to see what I was choosing.  It's much easier with the DX50.  As you said when I was thinking about getting it, I'd love the UI, and I do.  I use Directory>SD Card to scroll through my music, in Artist order, album by album.      

Haha, I go back to cassette tapes, my father had a record player, though I remember our first CD player which was a Sony model. It was quite amazing even having the ability to instantly skip to the next track. Casstete players tried with seeking functions that weren't always accurate, though I remember digital CD's sounding much better than tape when we changed over.

Like yourself I find the UI much easier on DX50 than C3 (which I wouldn't use on the go). From a sound quality perspective  C3 is still a nice awesome player. though when my DX50 is amped (not fond of the headphone out) it pulls away from C3. As I say though, although I find the DX50 from line out superior you will never take away C3's individuality and unique Colorfly signature. 

For $100 Colorfly C3 (as yourself) made me very happy!

May 4, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #13,009 of 18,652
  Song
Artist

I'm not referring the "now playing" screen. As in when you're scrolling through the whole list of songs, in the earlier firmware, it does not display songs using the song title name but the file name which is quite annoying as the file name can be long and it can be hard to find the song you want just based off the file name. Has the issue with using the file name been fixed?

May 4, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #13,010 of 18,652
it is actual a very funny feeling for me after a couple of years in HIFI: I don't need anything new player wise.....quite disturbing. And this holds since i've had it...3 months.... 
beerchug.gif
 There hasn't been anything more easier to change tracks in your pocket without even watching it, or even WITHOUT get your hand IN your pockets....just look for these beautify made buttons through your jeans. 

I'm waiting for my Custom Art Harmonys to be delivered, i've got the feeling that this will be a good reason to find myself a new hobby or go back to my first: watches....

argh....i still need 20k for this Blancpain 50ff......where did i put it again? 

May 4, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #13,011 of 18,652

WE call it MW (medium wave) in the UK. I remember listening to music in my Dad's car, but the sound would always cut out going under a bridge or through a tunnel. We'd try and keep singing the song through the silence and have it match up on the other side.

Got my DX50 yesterday, secondhand but minty, but my Amazon Prime ordered 64GB microSD cards (guaranteed delivery for Saturday) have 'got lost in the post' :frowning2:

May 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #13,015 of 18,652
  I generally use a single folder per album, or have a folder full of assorted songs.  I suppose you could just number them in order for them to play as album 1, album 2, etc. in a single folder, but that shouldn't be too hard.  I use XLD with a Mac to do tagging and the like, not sure what you'd need with Windows.  Possibly just renumber everything beyond album 1 with higher numbers in order.  

I've been hoping that the next firmware would have album forwarding.  Guess we still have to wait and see (I understand that's possible with Rockbox, so I guess iBasso could do it if it wanted to).  

I use a Mac, I have been transferring my music in ALAC fom Itunes (All imported CD's). Method used was locating Itunes Media folder and drag & drop to the SD card.
Is this the best method?

May 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #13,016 of 18,652
  I use a Mac, I have been transferring my music in ALAC fom Itunes (All imported CD's). Method used was locating Itunes Media folder and drag & drop to the SD card.
Is this the best method?

No other method but to drag and drop files to SD Card. The iTunes folder structure is a good folder structure for sorting music files by Artist and albums.

May 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #13,018 of 18,652
I have finally given up on my DX50. I wanted to like it, as it sounds ridiculously good for the price. However, I am a Wagnerian, and cannot accept a lack of properly working gapless (i.e. which doesn't shave the first second or two from every track).

Consequently, I will be returning to my 160GB iPC, which has the best UI. Ever. Period. I have ordered a Sony PHA-1, which can sound incredible with the right (high sensitivity, medium impedance) headphones.

I will continue to use the DX50 for HD files (non-operatic :mad:) in my "around the house, when the temperature in my listening room goes over 45 Celsius" rig, together with the Tube Amp BL-2 and the HD600s or DT-250s. It does, after all, sound very good. For travelling, I will be returning (reluctantly) to the Apple fold....

May 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #13,019 of 18,652
I have finally given up on my DX50. I wanted to like it, as it sounds ridiculously good for the price. However, I am a Wagnerian, and cannot accept a lack of properly working gapless (i.e. which doesn't shave the first second or two from every track).

Consequently, I will be returning to my 160GB iPC, which has the best UI. Ever. Period. I have ordered a Sony PHA-1, which can sound incredible with the right (high sensitivity, medium impedance) headphones.

I will continue to use the DX50 for HD files (non-operatic :mad:) in my "around the house, when the temperature in my listening room goes over 45 Celsius" rig, together with the Tube Amp BL-2 and the HD600s or DT-250s. It does, after all, sound very good. For travelling, I will be returning (reluctantly) to the Apple fold....

Have you tried rockbox on the DX50? The gapless work pretty well.

May 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #13,020 of 18,652
Too late now. I still want to use the DX50 for my HD files (AFAIK not possible with RB), and I like the idea of an intuitive UI, easy iTunes syncing, and 160GB capacity for my CD rips...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back