The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #12,976 of 18,652
what is the latest rockbox and where can one find one?
rolleyes.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709855/ibasso-dx50-rockbox-finally-here-latest-update-2014-03-25

May 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #12,979 of 18,652
  I've been thinking about getting the DX50 as my first high quality DAP but with all these bugs and glitches I'm reading about I'm not sure if it's worth getting. Anyone think it's still worth buying?

There hasn't been any bugs or glitches worth noting for me since 1.2.8 that are specifically due to the DX50. The recent stuff about the micro SD cards were, according the the poster of them if I recall correctly, due to bad/fake/corrupted/whatever micro SDs instead of the DX50. I say go ahead! Join the club! We have cookies too 
wink.gif

May 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #12,980 of 18,652
  my SD card stopped working twice while I was transferring a good 30GB onto my Sandisk 32gb card. It would just suddenly say something along hte lines of "cannot find drive H:" or something like that. I would just replug my DX50 with the USB and it would be good to transfer again but it was a bit weird. After transferring, all the files play perfectly fine afaik.

I have one problem though. The files I have transferred are not sorted alphabetically properly, but rather alphabetically in chunks of maybe 3 a total. I wonder if it had anything to do with that issue mentioned above but now I got about 20 albums A-Z, then another 20 from A-Z and another 10 from A-Z. really weird. Does anyone have any idea how to get them sorted again? I looked around in the menus but there was no "rescan" option.

Also: curse the sensitivity on the touch screen, it really is a mess lol every other time I try to scroll it would dive into the folder I click and then start a song which pisses me off lol

To rescan: with the DX50 on, just insert and eject the card 1 or 2 times and it will then prompt you to rescan.

May 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #12,981 of 18,652
much love, it solved it immediately. Can't believe I didn't think of it either, I guess it is because I am swamped in school every day and have the problem solving ability of a slug whenever I get some spare time lol. Cheers friend!

May 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #12,983 of 18,652
  I've been thinking about getting the DX50 as my first high quality DAP but with all these bugs and glitches I'm reading about I'm not sure if it's worth getting. Anyone think it's still worth buying?

No bugs or glitches, beyond what all electronic devices do every once in a while.  Works just about perfectly.  Most of the issues were with earlier firmware.  1.2.8 is rock-solid.  I'm happy with mine.

May 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #12,986 of 18,652
  thats right. Ive got chunks of folders categorised into artists name and all i did was copy and paste. have no clue what kinds of files wont move because some flacs would move and some would not.

Maybe like what Jason had a while back you have a fake SD card.

May 3, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #12,987 of 18,652

Unfortunately, ALL DAPs have some glitches.   None of the UIs on any of them are as smooth as as any apple product.   However, if you are interested in sound quality, the DX50 is definitely a step up from unmodded apple products.  Whether it is worth getting will depend on expectations.   If you are looking for something really smooth, you might get frustrated.   The latest firmware on the DX50 is pretty stable, but i don't think anyone would claim that it is as polished and reliable as an ipod.   I would say that it is an okay choice for a first DAP as long as you have reasonable expectations.  It is a good value, but there are obviously better sounding DAPs at higher prices.

May 3, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #12,988 of 18,652
I found a bug in my 1.2.8 firmware.
when you go for "album" list instead of "all music" and scroll down really fast, the firmware will restart.
it doesn't bother me too much since I can just go to "all music" and sort the music by album by tapping the "down arrow" at the top of the screen lightly and pick the "album".

May 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #12,989 of 18,652
NOTHING is as smooth as an iPod.  That's why Apple sells so many of them.  However, for sound quality the DX50 is head and shoulders above an iPod.  The UI works well, it's just not as easy and polished as an iPod's is.  As for better sounding players for more money, true.  You could biy something for a grand, or two grand, and it would sound a bit better.  Maybe a bit+ better.  But for the price the DX50 is more than worth the money.  Many think it is selling for less than it is worth (that includes me).  

Oh, and there's this:  You can pay 3 times as much for an AK100, which uses the same Wolfson as the DX50.  Is it going to be 3 times better?  Or buy an AK120, which is 4 times as much.  Is it 4 times better?  I sold my Colorfly C3, which cost $100, and replaced it with the DX50, which cost $239.  Is it 2.3 times better?  Nope.  Better?  Yes.  You need to look at what you want, what you expect, what you need, and what you can hear, as well as what you want to pay for it.  

May 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #12,990 of 18,652
NOTHING is as smooth as an iPod.  That's why Apple sells so many of them.  However, for sound quality the DX50 is head and shoulders above an iPod.  The UI works well, it's just not as easy and polished as an iPod's is.  As for better sounding players for more money, true.  You could biy something for a grand, or two grand, and it would sound a bit better.  Maybe a bit+ better.  But for the price the DX50 is more than worth the money.  Many think it is selling for less than it is worth (that includes me).  

i sold my ak100 because of its worst ever UI....and u don't regret it a second

Users who are viewing this thread

Back