The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Apr 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #12,631 of 18,652

Get the C&C BH2!
What headphones are you using?

I'm using a JDS Labs C5 (a bit over $200) and there is plenty of "authority."  But I wonder if your settings are correct, the DX50 sounds pretty good on its own.  Do you have the eq off, or is it on and you have frequencies turned down?  Are you on the current firmware (1.2.8)?  The BH is very nice for the price, don't know if anyone is using it with the DX50.  

Thank you both, I wonder which amp would be a better fit for the dx50.

I have the eq off and the firmware is 1.2.8.

I'm using the re-400's. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the combo doesn't sound nearly as good as it should. My dj100(modded) sounds decent albeit a bit lifeless.

EDIT!

I use the DX50 with the BH2 and love the combo...tried it with c5 and much prefer bh2....not to mention the better price. Enjoy!

Thank You! This makes the purchase much easier!!!

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #12,632 of 18,652

No, the spike is in the middle of the song...heard it with K10 at 180 at low gain....and then it goes to full volume suddenly (..ouch...)
I flashed it now and try the same album again....

Hi all,

I just had an unpleasant, painful experience with my brand-new DX50.  I started a song with my Brainwavz ProAlpha IEMs in, and POW, I found the volume was all the way up.  Still recovering.  

I was using Rockbox; background FW is 1.2.8.

From T1000's message last month, I'm gathering that what I experienced isn't the volume spike issue others have had.  Maybe somehow my vol+ button just got pushed, so the volume was legitimately turned up? 

Can folks who have had volume spikes confirm whether their experience was 1) a spike such as T1000 describes or 2) finding the volume level turned up all the way unexpectedly?  I'd like to know how paranoid I have to be going forward.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #12,633 of 18,652
  ​
Hi all,

I just had an unpleasant, painful experience with my brand-new DX50.  I started a song with my Brainwavz ProAlpha IEMs in, and POW, I found the volume was all the way up.  Still recovering.  

From T1000's message last month, I'm gathering that what I experienced isn't the volume spike issue others have had.  Maybe somehow my vol+ button just got pushed, so the volume was legitimately turned up? 

Can folks who have had volume spikes confirm whether their experience was 1) a spike such as T1000 describes or 2) finding the volume level turned up all the way unexpectedly?  I'd like to know how paranoid I have to be going forward.

I'm getting paranoid reading posts like this! I've been lucky so far and haven't experienced any volume spikes, but I've only had it for a short while. Fingers crossed...

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #12,634 of 18,652
  I'm getting paranoid reading posts like this! I've been lucky so far and haven't experienced any volume spikes, but I've only had it for a short while. Fingers crossed...

I can't imagine how this would happen from a hardware perspective, since the volume is managed digitally via the firmware.  This is the first report of something like this happening in Rockbox but it seemed a bit different case than the previous reports of people using the stock FW.  I'm also not sure if it's happened yet on the latest firmware version (1.2.8).  I've not experienced this yet myself but I've pretty much used RB exclusively since I got my player a few weeks back.  I use mine via line-out in my car frequently, so the volume is up pretty high for that sometimes, and depending on the IEM I use the volume is at different points.  I now always check the volume level after starting it up before plugging in anything because I once (almost) started listening to something at near full volume...luckily the song started very quiet and gradually built up so I was able to abort 
redface.gif

​
Hi all,

I hope this was a one time thing, but do let us know if it happens again in RB over on the other thread.  As I advised above, just double check the volume before plugging in your IEMs - if there is a bug in RB that causes the volume to maximize or something along those lines for you, you can create an issue request for the developer here: https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/issues?status=new&status=open You may want to just mention it there anyway, just to rule out the possibility - he's pretty responsive and a good guy 
cool.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #12,635 of 18,652
  I can't imagine how this would happen from a hardware perspective, since the volume is managed digitally via the firmware.  This is the first report of something like this happening in Rockbox but it seemed a bit different case than the previous reports of people using the stock FW.  I'm also not sure if it's happened yet on the latest firmware version (1.2.8).  I've not experienced this yet myself but I've pretty much used RB exclusively since I got my player a few weeks back.  I use mine via line-out in my car frequently, so the volume is up pretty high for that sometimes, and depending on the IEM I use the volume is at different points.  I now always check the volume level after starting it up before plugging in anything because I once (almost) started listening to something at near full volume...luckily the song started very quiet and gradually built up so I was able to abort 
redface.gif

I hope this was a one time thing, but do let us know if it happens again in RB over on the other thread.  As I advised above, just double check the volume before plugging in your IEMs - if there is a bug in RB that causes the volume to maximize or something along those lines for you, you can create an issue request for the developer here: https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/issues?status=new&status=open You may want to just mention it there anyway, just to rule out the possibility - he's pretty responsive and a good guy 
cool.gif

Thanks for the tip!  I do NOT want to start a panic when I'm not 100% sure what happened.  I'll continue to listen (being careful of course) and see if it happens again.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #12,636 of 18,652
redface.gif

cool.gif

Thanks, this is reassuring 
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #12,637 of 18,652
Hey,
Just got my DX50 today.
When I hook it up to my computer it's showing up as 5.67 GB, but it's advertised as 8.  I know memory is always overestimated, but that's quite a big difference.
Anyone else have this issue or is it just that he OS is that large?
(sending them an email)

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #12,639 of 18,652
Yep, not 8gb, as part of that 8 is being used to run the thing.  I keep my internal empty, all media is on the micro disk.  

No volume spikes here, but I'm using Line Out and the volume is already at 255 before it goes into my amp.  

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #12,641 of 18,652
And, just for added info, I just sold my BH because I like my C5 so much.  It all comes down to personal taste, music listened to, your ears, and your listening devices.  

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #12,643 of 18,652
  My dad was using it before he upgraded to the glacier. He quite enjoyed the combo with the HD25 ALU too.

Do you recommend it then? I want to try an amp, but i was getting a little more money and pushing for the PB2, so i can have a balanced amp and use my HD25's with a balanced cable.

I have the eq off and the firmware is 1.2.8.

I'm using the re-400's. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the combo doesn't sound nearly as good as it should. My dj100(modded) sounds decent albeit a bit lifeless.

EDIT!

Thank You! This makes the purchase much easier!!!

@johanchandy, I believed it was reported that the Hifiman RE-400 didn't have good synergy with the DX50. I remember reading other peoples.

Yeah, they don't make a great match together, you're better off using anything but the RE-400 (if you have anything else), or buying the BH2. I've used most of my headphones with the DX50 and some work great, and some don't. So far i'm enjoying my DX50 with my HD25's with Amperior Cups and my AT IM70's. 
redface.gif

cool.gif

Thanks for the tip!  I do NOT want to start a panic when I'm not 100% sure what happened.  I'll continue to listen (being careful of course) and see if it happens again.

It is a well known bug with the 1.2.8 FW and ONLY the Headphone Out (though no one has discarted the Line Out, since most of you already have them near max volume). Using an amp pretty much nullifies the bug, though it is a pretty rare bug. I've experienced twice, and it wasn't even me, it was my GF with my IM70's. So far i've gotten that it might have something to do with bad tagged albums. I retagged my whole library around 1.2 (there was a bug with the tags that made me do that), so i haven't experienced it yet, and i hope i never will. There should be a fix for when the next firmware shows up (should be "soon").

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #12,644 of 18,652

Do you recommend it then? I want to try an amp, but i was getting a little more money and pushing for the PB2, so i can have a balanced amp and use my HD25's with a balanced cable.

If you have a chance to go balanced, then do it. The PB2 in balanced mode will probably stomp all over the BH2 in sound quality, but it's a hell of a lot less portable. Not to say that the BH2 is a bad amp as its great bang for your buck, but going balanced is just better in most every way.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #12,645 of 18,652
  Yep, not 8gb, as part of that 8 is being used to run the thing.  I keep my internal empty, all media is on the micro disk.  

No volume spikes here, but I'm using Line Out and the volume is already at 255 before it goes into my amp.  

Still seems odd that the OS and the like would take up that much space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back