The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #11,612 of 18,652

It's a shame. :frowning2:

Is there the possibility DX50 supports replaygain tags in future firms?

Thanks.

IIRC iBasso have said they aren't looking at implementing it for now. However, they have been quite good at implementing things lots of people want, so if enough people made a fuss about it, I'm sure they'd sort something out. Plus with the arrival of the DX90 in a month (or less), I imagine they'd be looking at adding new features to keep it ahead of its competitors.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #11,613 of 18,652
  Hi.

I had a Fiio X3 but I lost it, I am thinking about buy other but I read good comments of iBasso DX50 and I want to ask about them in order to choose one:

- Sound quality is better in DX50 or X3?
- Does it have problems with OGG and MP3 formats? Actually, X3 has problems with those formats.
- Updates are valuable: resolve problems and fix bugs?

Thanks.

I also don't have an X3, so I can't compare them either. Most seem to find the X3's dynamics better while the DX50 is better resolving, more spacious, and neutral sounding. I find the DX50 to be a significant upgrade over any of my iPods or Clip+.

Zero problems with MP3. Someone a while back said there were some problems with OGG tags. Not sure if those have been fixed yet...

Firmware has improved the player dramatically since its release. The 1.0 bugs were unacceptable and have hurt iBasso's reputation (imo), but the steps they've taken since then have been very impressive. A few minor bugs remain -- dumb you can't skip past 120:00 in tracks, dumb you have to reinsert cards to scan them -- but overall it's a really great player.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #11,615 of 18,652
When I was in HK in December I went to Lets Go (which was opposite Mingo) in Wan Chai and tried both the X3 and DX50. The X3 has pretty much the Fiio house sound and seems to have brighter highs on the 16k mark, you can also get silly bass on the X3 (which I think is hardware bass) whereas the changing the DX50 EQ seems a little artificial. The Dx50 to my ears was slightly warmer. I actually prefered the X3 sound but since I already had a E07K amp I thought I'd buy the DX50. DX50 fw was 1.2.7 at the time but 1.2.8 gives you much better bass. Also tried a AK120 later that day and thought it didn't sound superior to either the X3 or DX50 just different. However that was a very brief listen. Btw HMV HK sells all three units if you can figure out their website.

Between the X3 and DX50 the sound difference is quite subtle. Even the shop assistant said they were almost the same. Which ever one you end up with, headphones can completely alter the sound. Having said that I'm gassing for a X5 which was at Let's Go but didn't work. Damn.

@mottykytu the DX50 can play M4a's fine, I'm playing 24 bit ones without any problems.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #11,617 of 18,652
Having the X3 and the DX50 I find nothing subtle in my opinion of the difference in sound. There is a clarity in the DX50 and a more profound musical soundscape when compared to the X3. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #11,620 of 18,652
 Having the X3 and the DX50 I find nothing subtle in my opinion of the difference in sound. There is a clarity in the DX50 and a more profound musical soundscape when compared to the X3. 

My comparison was only brief in a shop environment, hence why I stated so. Maybe your headphones are more revealing. However I feel there is something missing in the DX50. I have an aging HD555 and Soundmagic E10's for mobile use. Maybe its time for an upgrade in those. But I find myself going to the E07K for certain types of music.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #11,621 of 18,652
It's all good. The most important thing is enjoying the music, no matter what you use. So many great choices and more coming up. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #11,622 of 18,652
Yes absolutely enjoying the music! Just when you get into that analytical stage of hearing the music the brain and wallet go wild. While were on it, I have some burning questions. Has any any ideas if the DX50 will be able to output via the USB one day? How does it sound with Westone W20, W40's?

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #11,623 of 18,652
  Yes absolutely enjoying the music! Just when you get into that analytical stage of hearing the music the brain and wallet go wild. While were on it, I have some burning questions. Has any any ideas if the DX50 will be able to output via the USB one day? How does it sound with Westone W20, W40's?

On first question, they are working on the software so it and the DX90 will do this. And the next, I don't know. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #11,624 of 18,652
Thats good news. Opens up some more possibilities in amping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #11,625 of 18,652
Hi.

I had a Fiio X3 but I lost it, I am thinking about buy other but I read good comments of iBasso DX50 and I want to ask about them in order to choose one:

- Sound quality is better in DX50 or X3?
- Does it have problems with OGG and MP3 formats? Actually, X3 has problems with those formats.
- Updates are valuable: resolve problems and fix bugs?

Thanks.

I have both X3 and DX50. IMO they sound nothing similar to each other. To me, DX50 takes the upper hand.

X3 is darn good a player for its price. The sound is geared towards the warmer side of things with slight emphasis on mid bass which can be distracting at times. Vocals seem to take a front standing too. Very nice vocals here. Details and separation is there, but not in your face. I would say it's slightly laid back or take a back seat compared to the vocals. Treble has a very smooth presentation which is portrayed as laid back and relaxing too. In general, X3 is non fatiguing. Black or dark background is superb on X3. Probably the player may gain another step with the next release of its firmware in March? Will have to wait and see..

DX50 has got better transparency and clarity. Mids, details and separation as opposed to X3 is more prominent. Vocals isn't as upfront, but very engaging too. Seems to me that the soundstage is wider as well. Lows focus more on sub bass and is much tighter and more controlled. Treble as compared to X3 is definitely more present but very smooth as well. Coupled with the latest firmware, it's a winner in my book.

Overall, both X3 and DX50 has a different sound signature and shares more differences than similarities. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back