The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,021 of 18,652

I'll sound like a stuck-up snob but come on - you are playing MP3 on your "high resolution" DAP and want us to believe that PFE232 and SHE3590 sound the same? I'm not saying that you're lying or anything, it's just that you should use the full potential of the player (in this case play the original 24/96 files) and then compare these two. Who knows, the Phillips might sound even better, but at least that way, there'll be less "IFs"

Also - mp3 isn't cool man, not in this community
biggrin.gif

(just joking)

I agree I hate mp3 too and it is absolutely not cool no matter even if the bitrate is 320kbps. But I dont have everything as FLAC, which is the best format currently, and even if I have, I usually convert it to ALAC since I use iDevices + DD Socket 1. And mp3 is unavoidable nothing could overthrow it mpc and ogg tried but failed to be mainstream, I tried both but felt mp3 is safe bet when you want to sync to iDevices.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #1,022 of 18,652
ALAC and AAC playing in DX50 is spotty, it works most of the time, few times it just plays for few minutes, stops, plays next song in the same way for few mins and this continues till the album. Particularly the Hits album (George Jones) which I purchased from iTunes none of the song plays fully, only previews, I did all the mp3tag cleanups. No luck.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,023 of 18,652
  I agree I hate mp3 too and it is absolutely not cool no matter even if the bitrate is 320kbps. But I dont have everything as FLAC, which is the best format currently, and even if I have, I usually convert it to ALAC since I use iDevices + DD Socket 1. And mp3 is unavoidable nothing could overthrow it mpc and ogg tried but failed to be mainstream, I tried both but felt mp3 is safe bet when you want to sync to iDevices.

Storage is so cheap nowadays I usually keep 2 copies of each rip (1 FLAC and 1 ALAC) so I can keep the iDevices happy and easily satisfy audiophile DAP needs when necessary.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,027 of 18,652
  Listened to my IE800 for the first time in about 6 months with the DX50 this afternoon.........sensational, best I have heard the IE800 sound, and probably one of the best pairings for the DX50 thus far!!!

Muse "The 2nd Law" album on 24/96 sounded awesome!!

To me, this pairing sounds good with the mids and lows.  The lows are more plentiful with the DX, but i find it tighter and more precise with the AK.  The treble presentation was the big issue for me here, harsh and unpleasant.  However, that appears to be a weakness in the DX itself since many readers have been complaining about the treble presentation.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,028 of 18,652
The dx50 uses some expensive electlrolytics and they need time to form to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back