The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #10,201 of 18,652
  Greetings all. After many months of following this thread, I finally decided it was time to move on from my rockboxed classic to the DX50. I received my unit 2 days ago it shipped with 1.2.6 and I have had no problems as yet. Im looking for suggestions as to how you guys chose to organize your memory cards. I have about 100gb of music and I have 2- 64gb sdcards. I cant decide between alphabetical order of artist or by genre. Any suggestions?

1) Make sure your tags are in order. No, really. Check them. Mp3Tag is a great tool for it.
2) Dump the files on the cards
3) Enjoy!

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #10,202 of 18,652
  Greetings all. After many months of following this thread, I finally decided it was time to move on from my rockboxed classic to the DX50. I received my unit 2 days ago it shipped with 1.2.6 and I have had no problems as yet. Im looking for suggestions as to how you guys chose to organize your memory cards. I have about 100gb of music and I have 2- 64gb sdcards. I cant decide between alphabetical order of artist or by genre. Any suggestions?

I find it the easiest way to access my digital files by folder view, which I configured to my likeing on my PC/NAS and then i just copy or access the files with all my devices (HiFi Streamer, Squeezebox, DAP etc.)

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #10,203 of 18,652
  1) Make sure your tags are in order. No, really. Check them. Mp3Tag is a great tool for it.

That's what I been doing for the last two days
eek.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #10,204 of 18,652
Has anyone else had trouble opening the 1.2.7 firmware img file? I'm downloading to an iMac running Mavericks; I've tried downloading both from the ibasso site and from the mirror listed in the FAQ.

All help appreciated!
My dx50 is still on the way, but i tried to download 1.2.7 and couldnt open it, i guess they are not meant to be opened, just the img file has to be thrown on the drive to update without having to open it.

But i tried in many ways to get it opened with no luck.
The .img file is just a binary to be placed in the root of the build in memory as per the readme file that comes with it

nc8000 is right. The firmware is a binary file, a combination of compiled files. You need a specific program to extract it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #10,205 of 18,652
About the new firmware, my only request right now (sonic debate aside) is that they fix the 24/192 flac support. With 24/192 I get a peridocal "clicking" sound, very annoying. Downsampled the same files to 24/96 and now they play perfectly...

This intermittent problem also happens on DB2 so I guess it is not easy to solve.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #10,206 of 18,652
2) Dump the files on the cards

3) Enjoy!

or just use itunes if you can live with ALAC instead of FLAC. I've not had a tagging, artwork, freezing or scanning issue on any FW version since 1.2.2. Only exception is some old mp3 files that have some missing artwork but I"m re-ripping those to lossless as I have time.

Sorry to support the big monster but it does work. :)

Scott

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #10,207 of 18,652
Hi all, Ive just ordered a Schiit Vali to amp to use with my DX50 and HE-400's for my home rig and just wondered what you guys and gals thoughts were on whether I would achieve an audio 'upgrade' by getting the Modi and using that from my macbook pro instead - is there much difference between the WM8740 and the KM4396 chips in SQ or is it just different sound signatures? Thanks for any thought, Lee.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #10,208 of 18,652
or just use itunes if you can live with ALAC instead of FLAC. I've not had a tagging, artwork, freezing or scanning issue on any FW version since 1.2.2. Only exception is some old mp3 files that have some missing artwork but I"m re-ripping those to lossless as I have time.

Sorry to support the big monster but it does work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Same here, I have not encountered any playback issues with ALAC files. As for the artwork you still need to be diligent to save the artwork in the files not just in iTunes.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #10,210 of 18,652
  Hi all, Ive just ordered a Schiit Vali to amp to use with my DX50 and HE-400's for my home rig and just wondered what you guys and gals thoughts were on whether I would achieve an audio 'upgrade' by getting the Modi and using that from my macbook pro instead - is there much difference between the WM8740 and the KM4396 chips in SQ or is it just different sound signatures? Thanks for any thought, Lee.

i am also waiting for schiit vali arrival to paired with dx50 and hd650.
i also have the same Q.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #10,211 of 18,652

I prefer browsing specifically by folder structure.  Since the amount of genres for the music itself can vary so wildly to be confusing, I simply start created 4 folders that contain specific genres only.  Next step up is arranging each album in its own folder, which I leave in alphabetical order.  One of my genre folders still ends up too large if I just throw all the albums into it, so I add sub categories to further classify things.  Allows for incredibly easy browsing of music.

The album view for me is too big, there's too many albums that aren't categorized properly.  And unless I go through to simplify all the genre tags, the genre view is confusing as I don't know what is what.  Artist view is also confusing.  So a simplified directory structure all the way.  :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #10,212 of 18,652

I prefer browsing specifically by folder structure.  Since the amount of genres for the music itself can vary so wildly to be confusing, I simply start created 4 folders that contain specific genres only.  Next step up is arranging each album in its own folder, which I leave in alphabetical order.  One of my genre folders still ends up too large if I just throw all the albums into it, so I add sub categories to further classify things.  Allows for incredibly easy browsing of music.

The album view for me is too big, there's too many albums that aren't categorized properly.  And unless I go through to simplify all the genre tags, the genre view is confusing as I don't know what is what.  Artist view is also confusing.  So a simplified directory structure all the way.  :)

Yep. I use Browse By Folder:  Genre / Artist /Album.

It is bug proof and a pleasure to navigate.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #10,213 of 18,652
i'm still wondering should i amp the dx50?

Like I wrote before, there are very few reasons why you would need an outboard amp and they are all some form of compensation: either your headphones are too hard for the onboard amp to drive and you need more power to compensate, you're wearing balanced headphones which require balanced output, or you have stack envy and feel a need to compensate for that.

If your headphones hiss because they're too sensitive then you don't need an amp. You need an impedance adapter. If you use an outboard amp anyway then that's just stack envy.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #10,214 of 18,652
Like I wrote before, there are very few reasons why you would need an outboard amp and they are all some form of compensation: either your headphones are too hard for the onboard amp to drive and you need more power to compensate, you're wearing balanced headphones which require balanced output, or you have stack envy and feel a need to compensate for that.

If your headphones hiss because they're too sensitive then you don't need an amp. You need an impedance adapter. If you use an outboard amp anyway then that's just stack envy.

never heard of a impedance adapter. good to know.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #10,215 of 18,652

And again I disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back