The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #7,966 of 18,652

I've also got it plugged into my headphone dac/amp via the coaxial output which works  a treat. I'm actually quite intrigued to see if I can use the line-out to connect to the amp and use the DX50's DAC instead. Not sure how to do that or if it would be better..

For my home theater sound system, the DX50 works great and sounds great when plugged into my yamaha A2010 receiver using the digital coaxial.  However, I couldn't just leave it at that so attempted to plug the DX50 in using the analog line out to the receiver.  The sound quality difference was shockingly different, I was not at all impressed with the DX50's line out as a replacement for using my receiver's DACs.  Sounded like complete crap by comparison.  Lol...

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #7,967 of 18,652

Guys,I was going to get a 128gb flash drive for the dx50...from reading back I know some people mentioned the PNY models,just to confirm is the one above compatible with dx50? just checking as I know some people bought flash drives that wouldn't work with the dx50 otg cable...

That's the one I had. Works just fine.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #7,969 of 18,652
The only annoying annoying thing for me is if i go to edit a song... Say change its name, dx50 doesnt always recognize that. Sometimes t doesnt recognize it at all, sometimes it keeps the original copy of the song and makes a double with the edited names

Also EQ doesnt work and gapless is pretty meh.

Thats all i got. Im sure there r others

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #7,970 of 18,652
  I find that pairing the DX50 with different headphones and iems can be quite selective...not everything works well.

My ASG-2 sounds surprisingly thin and with fairly harsh treble paired with the DX50, which was a bit surprising. I have no clue... my wild guess is that it might be due to the sensitivity of the 2 BA drivers? On the other hand, the R3 pairs quite beautifully with the DX50 and i think i might prefer the R3 with the DX50 over the ASG-2.

Really hoping my incoming rendition 1 changes that...

what have people been pairing with their DX50?

Pairing it with Senn IE-8.. sounds great!

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #7,971 of 18,652

The Pictures of Your Portable Rig part XVI thread has a huge variety of combinations. DX50 has been dominant over there for the past few months.

My daily drivers are KRK KNS-8400's on the HO jack, no outboard amplifier. Nice, clean, neutral sound. I like the KRK's.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #7,972 of 18,652
Also, as a prospective buyer, what are some of the outstanding firmware issues that I should take note of with version 1.25?

IMO, they're mostly quality of life issues. No m3u playlists, yet and no ReplayGain (both of which can be hacked around if you don't mind hacking around them). Ogg Vorbis tag handling is practically non-existent. The player forgets where it was on power off.

There are some edge case tag scanning bugs that should be fixed in the next update.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #7,973 of 18,652
Im not 100% sure but i use ivolume and i feel like its been working? Im not positive... Ive only had the dx50 for a day but ya

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #7,974 of 18,652
Im not 100% sure but i use ivolume and i feel like its been working? Im not positive... Ive only had the dx50 for a day but ya

Afraid not. Apple's Sound Check is, in principle, the same thing as ReplayGain: analyze a file, calculate the highest perceived volume, calculate the difference between that and a normalized volume level (ReplayGain uses 89db) and store that difference in a tag. In practice, Sound Check is practically worthless. iVolume applies the ReplayGain algorithm instead of Apple's Sound Check algorithm but stores the correct data in the tag.

The player reads this tag and adjust playback volume accordingly. DX50's player, mango, doesn't do this. Currently the only way to normalize volume levels across multiple albums is to transcode everything using a volume filter. I am unaware of any media library software that will do this for you. I use ffmpeg and a shell script (check the bugs thread). Everyone else just manually adjusts the volume. :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #7,976 of 18,652

I've been using a bunch of my headphones and iems to see what sounds better with what, and so far i like the HD25, the GR04 Pro, that i think sounds even better than the GR07, but i haven't tested thoroughly, and my RE-262 on High Gain, mid and low sounds a little too flat for my taste. The S400 have a lot of low end rumble, which i like, but i feel a slight distortion from the bottom end too. Lowering the 30Hz band on the EQ fixes it though (but also kills a lot of that low end rumble).

Right now i'm waiting for fedex to deliver my new IM70's so i can try them out with the DX50, hoping the firmware update doesn't change the sound signature. I'm liking the signature so far, it's not too bassy, but it's not too analytical either. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #7,980 of 18,652
Ur EQ actually works? :O

It works, but it's a bit upside down. The EQ off setting is the same as Custom with all of the sliders at +6. In other words, EQ off = maximum gain across all bands. Weird, huh?

I personally find that the Classical preset works nicely with my KRK's: the hint of extra bass makes them a little more fun, a little less analytical, without stepping into basshead territory (yeah, a metalhead who isn't a basshead, go fig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back