The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #5,746 of 18,652

Am also very satisfied with the pairing. (However, am a newbie in "head'fi" things and iems in particular. I usually listen at home with b&w 804 nautilus speakers and a marantz sr7007 amplifier.) I actually bought the ibasso dx50 after realizing my cheap mp3 player sounded crap even with the re-400. It sounds infinitely better now. (I also did about 50 hours of burning-in of the re-400.)

(By the way, thanks for all the forum entries on headfi, I have been reading up here and on other websites for 2 weeks, hesitating whether to get the fiio x3 or the ibasso dx50.)

One question: The one thing I couldn't find despite crawling through the forums here (including the bugs page for the dx50), is a clear explanation of how to make the dx50 (fw 1.2.2 manually installed) play tracks in multi-disc albums in the proper order. Right now e.g. my Satie piano works (5 cds) are especially messed up... (Am using foobar to rip my cds to FLAC files and to do the tags...) Should I re-tag them on foobar as separate, single-cd albums?

I haven't played around with many multi cd albums yet, but the ones on my sd card play correctly. I used Mp3tag for tagging after using foobar to rip the albums to FLAC and simply denoted them as disc number/total discs (such as 1/2, 2/2) in the discnumber field (as the format defaults to). My song titles go by the "track number - title" format with leading zeros on the single digit tracks and the songs show up back to back in the order of the discs under the single album.

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #5,747 of 18,652
For those interested, my DX50 will be going up on the FS forums within the next week or so. If anyone is interested in buying my unit drop me a PM. The unit is practically brand new with minimal hours on it an comes with all accessories and original packaging. Canadian and American head-fiers preferred

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #5,750 of 18,652
If anyone in Aus wants one I should be able to get some when I go to HK. 

DX50 with a (slightly defective?) T1. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5,751 of 18,652
I don't necessarily agree. I just came into a pair of secondhand RE400s and I like the pairing. Its a touch neutral for me, but I don't feel like the bass bleeds anywhere. Have you messed with the EQ on the DX50?
I haven't touched a thing

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #5,752 of 18,652
I converted a number of files I am very familiar with to WAV and then loaded them to a Sandisk class 10 32gb card. There is a sound difference. I hear more hall sound and the sound in general is more analog like. I also have some of the same music on a Sandisk 64gb class 10. It doesn't sound the same. It isn't night and day but I hear a difference. This is what I hear. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5,753 of 18,652
I converted a number of files I am very familiar with to WAV and then loaded them to a Sandisk class 10 32gb card. There is a sound difference. I hear more hall sound and the sound in general is more analog like. I also have some of the same music on a Sandisk 64gb class 10. It doesn't sound the same. It isn't night and day but I hear a difference. This is what I hear. 

This is an interesting story, in theory other than capacity, those files are saved the same way on both cards so I fail to see how a card of half the capacity of the other can make the file sound different, the only left variables would be reading speed and buffering, that would be the only variables in your story that could have an impact on sound, can you think of any others? Even with that, I am positive the dap designer have designed buffering room for this sort of situation including slower cards. But that has certainly peaked my curiosity. If I'd have a card of half the capacity, I would love to test that. Unfortunately or more fortunately, I have two 64 gb cards and no sound difference there.

Now you have quite a bit of variables here, like where on your disk those songs are, you think because it is memory, position would not matter however the is still a slight time lag depending where on the 64 or 32 gb memory segment your song is located. If you want to be thorough in your a/b test you should test your one song on both cards on an empty microSD card and then see if there are any differences. IMO.

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #5,754 of 18,652
Now that you mention it, I bought RE400's specifically to pair with my DX50.  I was so unimpressed with the RE400's, I actually thought mine were defective, especially given all the rave reviews they receive.  I never even considered that it might be some kind of synergy issue.  Perhaps I should give them a spin with the X3? ?

I picked up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-CLR100's on a whim, and they sound amazing.  Better than the RE400's in almost every way - at least with the DX50.  The real surprise is that they're only $12.95!  I have no idea why there isn't more chatter about the CLR100's! 
I just think the dx50 and the re400s are a bad match. They sound brilliant with the iphone 4s on its own. I also want to say it sounds awful amped with the PB2s

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #5,755 of 18,652
Try separating them in folders, at least that's how i did it with my multi-disc albums. It is annoying though (i couldn't play Hesitation Marks for 3 weeks, until i spread them in folders and put them in a playlist...).

If they're like the RE-262/272, i might try to push 150 or 200 hours at least...

I also have a pair of CLR100's and they sound pretty good for the price, but it's an acquired taste, like the RE-400. I haven't tried the RE-400 with the DX50, but if they're anything like the 262, they need time. I am enjoying a lot my Uptowns + DX50, that combo sounds amazing for the price i got my Uptowns (like 30 bucks on a store's sale in my country).
The RE400s sound brilliant out of the box with no burn in required. Out if my desktop setup or just the iphone4s it great. It must be the DX50s

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #5,756 of 18,652
Today suffering from scanititus, I made the mistake of switching 64gb Sandisk microSD cards and when putting the original back, no more music, genres, database stuff showing. Then I went on the internal mem through the USB and guess what; internal memory had the footprint of the previous card so it never erased the stuff that was in there. To be honest I don't know how the scanning really works but more than one card just do not seem to work that well.

switch the dx50 on without card inserted it will scan and erase what was there before

Sent from my Nexus 4

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #5,757 of 18,652
switch the dx50 on without card inserted it will scan and erase what was there before

Sent from my Nexus 4

Thanks appreciate your input but in my case it hasn't erased anything, I went on the internal memory on my PC by connecting the DX50 through the USB and manually deleted the 8,000 or so entries in the image.img buffer folder (I think that was the name I say). Took a while, then disconnected the dx50 and eject the sd card out and back in again to rescan, then it worked.

But next time I will attempt your trick, I just switched the card instead of switching it on without it.

Now that I think of it it sounded as if I had the two cards scans in that folder and the first one available was the second card so that explains why the second card worked but not the first.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #5,758 of 18,652
Today suffering from scanititus, I made the mistake of switching 64gb Sandisk microSD cards and when putting the original back, no more music, genres, database stuff showing. Then I went on the internal mem through the USB and guess what; internal memory had the footprint of the previous card so it never erased the stuff that was in there. To be honest I don't know how the scanning really works but more than one card just do not seem to work that well.

I think they "fixed" the scan on startup by requiring the card to be mounted two times before scanning it. Pop the card out and back in, twice. Scanning will commence 
smile.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #5,759 of 18,652
I think they "fixed" the scan on startup by requiring the card to be mounted two times before scanning it. Pop the card out and back in, twice. Scanning will commence :smile:

Thanks Soren, I would have never thought of doing it twice but I know for a fact once it does not work. I guess that is what happens when you use large capacity cards, scans are paramount to quick response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back