The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #5,614 of 18,652
Finally other DX50 owners who feel that the DX50 was brighter for the longest time I thought I was alone. And you are definitively right about using darker sounding iems to soften the brightness.

Lol - I thought I was alone as well!  Do you know of any "darker" portable amps that would go well with the DX50?  I thought my RSA Predator would help but in actuality it doesn't darken the sound much.  I also gave the C&C BH2 a shot but it seems pretty much neutral, which I suppose is what you want in an amp.  Not knocking the C&C though - seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5,615 of 18,652

Lol - I thought I was alone as well!  Do you know of any "darker" portable amps that would go well with the DX50?  I thought my RSA Predator would help but in actuality it doesn't darken the sound much.  I also gave the C&C BH2 a shot but it seems pretty much neutral, which I suppose is what you want in an amp.  Not knocking the C&C though - seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Are you sure that the line out is bright? I do not think so. The amp section is a bit bright.

In my view, the DX50 line out does not require a dark amp (although you might otherwise like dark amps). 

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #5,616 of 18,652

My RSA intruder definitively does, it's so far the best but a tad pricey. I also use the pico Slim and it has helped not as much as the RSA though. I would not be surprised other RSA amps would also do, that's the RSA house sound. I avoid using my SE535 with the DX50 directly, it just annoys me after a while. The HD600 is amazing with the DX50 with or without an amp ( headphones seem to not be as affected as iems with brightness) although it works best with an amp. I haven't tried more expensive iems or headphones, don't have the cash at the moment. Would love to hear if there are iems that don't sound as bright with the DX50. Should I add IMO :ksc75smile:

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #5,617 of 18,652
Are you sure that the line out is bright? I do not think so. The amp section is a bit bright.

In my view, the DX50 line out does not require a dark amp (although you might otherwise like dark amps). 

To be honest I truly think this is personal, I tried without and with and I tend to favor with an amp. The added advantage is that it is easier to control the volume than the up and down button from the dx50. I like the feel of a gorgeous knob between my fingers :D

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #5,619 of 18,652
To be honest I truly think this is personal, I tried without and with and I tend to favor with an amp. The added advantage is that it is easier to control the volume than the up and down button from the dx50. I like the feel of a gorgeous knob between my fingers
biggrin.gif

Oh I definitely like using an amp with the DX50 - like 99% of the time.  
biggrin.gif

It is a lovely source.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5,620 of 18,652
My RSA intruder definitively does, it's so far the best but a tad pricey. I also use the pico Slim and it has helped not as much as the RSA though. I would not be surprised other RSA amps would also do, that's the RSA house sound. I avoid using my SE535 with the DX50 directly, it just annoys me after a while. The HD600 is amazing with the DX50 with or without an amp ( headphones seem to not be as affected as iems with brightness) although it works best with an amp. I haven't tried more expensive iems or headphones, don't have the cash at the moment. Would love to hear if there are iems that don't sound as bright with the DX50. Should I add IMO
ksc75smile.gif

I really like the Cardas EM5813 with the DX50.  To me it's a darker IEM that goes well with the perceived brightness of the DX50.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,622 of 18,652
Thanks for the tip, that is what I should be looking for, when I'll inherit, win at the lotto or get a better job lmao
darthsmile.gif

I can imagine that a lot of folks won't like them though.  The ergonomics aren't good at all - very heavy, microphonic cable, one size fits all tips.  I think really only good for stationary listening.  Also the sound is probably an acquired taste as well.  Really disliked the sound at first - muddy is what comes to mind.  Then over time, whether it was real burn-in or simply becoming acclimated to the sound, I came to enjoy them.  Still think they're very finicky with source pairing.

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #5,623 of 18,652
I don't find it terribly bright. I tend to decrease the 3 midrange bands one notch (600hz, 1khz and especially 4khz) one notch and the 12khz band if I have an issue with sibilance. If anything, both set-ups I use with it seem pretty dark. The B2's have sort of a dark sparkle, if that makes sense...It's like extremely detailed and totally non-fatiguing, I'm able to turn it up quite loud because of the decrease in the mids. I tend not to bother with the built-in amp, the Zo is much better (I run the Zo without any of the bass increases, just the "green" amp mode). My other set-up is Magni and Mad Dogs, but I find that pairing dark as well (and I prefer the speed/sparkle of the B2, after some head-to-head comparisons...need to upgrade to Alpha Doggies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back