The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #5,446 of 18,652
For the 64 gb cards, most manufacturers only make the class 10 cards.  BTW, the sandisk cards are on sale at amazon for 44.   That is considerably cheaper than the samsung.  Many of us here use the sandisk.

you also want to try transcend...

so what's the difference is classes?

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,452 of 18,652

My original post:

Quote:

Don't most cars have a USB input nowadays?

If you're after the SQ, I got bad news for you - a better DAC circuit traveling through a cable into its stereo system won't overcome the car's acoustics, like abnormal distances between each tweeter and midbass driver and your ears, which a dedicated car audio processor (and as such it will require a new amp as well) can fix. The frequency response might sound fuller, but the imaging and soundstage will still be off.

Not to mention where will you mount the DX50 so you can, at the very least, switch tracks at a stoplight without a cop knocking on your window and giving you a ticket (of course it depends on where you live) since it doesn't show up on the more ergonomically-placed (but still accident-causing, depending on the situation) receiver and controls on the dash.

Your reply:
Quote:

DX50 does not send audio signals off USB.

My response:
Quote:

I meant car receivers nowadays usually have a USB input that can take storage drives or Androids.

-----------  This denotes some kind of break, in this case, I was responding more to burtomr)

Your response:
Quote:
  I'm talking about the DX50 not supporting audio output via USB. Thus, as per burtomr making your original response pointless answer to the intended question.

And again, I was not responding to the original question in terms of 1) using the DX50 as a USB slave nor 2) am I assuming that that is what he was asking. I was saying that instead of having a 3.5mm aux analog cable connecting the DX50 to his receiver, check if whatever car he gets might have a USB input already, and just use a compatible storage device, because 1) a better DAC can't fix the timing errors in sitting off-center with the speakers each in separate mounting positions (the exact opposite of a home system where you sit dead center and have both tweets and mids in the same cabinets) and 2) using  storage media with the car's receiver means that he can see the contents on the car's display, which is more ergonomic for being used while operating a vehicle. And just to be clear, I don't mean you can fiddle with a car stereo while driving on the freeway, I just mean you won't have a device on a cord that you have to pick up and not see the lights turn green, the cable can get snagged (like by your passengers, for example a girlfriend with a huge handbag), etc.

That response isn't any more irrelevant than people asking a poster to consider some gear or set-up option (like "why not use the soundcard's SPDIF?," sic) not on the initial list, asking/guessing why not, then listing down why he's suggesting it.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #5,454 of 18,652
Ok, some controversial opinions coming up. I was a non believer in Rudi's claim that SD  cards can sound different, but I figured I should test it for myself, that's just how I am. I bought a Toshiba Exceria 16gb (made in Japan) compared it to my Samsung Pro 64gb (made in Korea) .... I'm amazed to say that the Toshiba sounds slightly more clear, open and natural. Go Figure 
confused.gif
 Rudi also claims that the 8gb model in the Exceria sounds best, followed by 16gb, then 32gb.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #5,456 of 18,652
should i say you got yourself a good buy?!
smily_headphones1.gif
if we are talking about uhs1 from both sandisk and transcend, the transcend is faster in write speed and is cheaper than the sandisk (at least from where i live) - that's what i call bang for the buck!
smily_headphones1.gif

i think its only class 10 and not the UHS1

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #5,457 of 18,652
  Ok, some controversial opinions coming up. I was a non believer in Rudi's claim that SD  cards can sound different, but I figured I should test it for myself, that's just how I am. I bought a Toshiba Exceria 16gb (made in Japan) compared it to my Samsung Pro 64gb (made in Korea) .... I'm amazed to say that the Toshiba sounds slightly more clear, open and natural. Go Figure 
confused.gif
 Rudi also claims that the 8gb model in the Exceria sounds best, followed by 16gb, then 32gb.

This and the changes caused by different batteries/powerbanks that have been reported ought to be properly tested, otherwise it is quite possibly expectation bias or some other psychological trick rearing its ugly head. I'm not suggesting that you or Rudi have to conduct a test, nor do I think there is anything wrong with posting your impressions, but I just want to point out that without evidence, everybody needs to take these reports with a giant grain of salt

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #5,458 of 18,652
  This and the changes caused by different batteries/powerbanks that have been reported ought to be properly tested, otherwise it is quite possibly expectation bias or some other psychological trick rearing its ugly head. I'm not suggesting that you or Rudi have to conduct a test, nor do I think there is anything wrong with posting your impressions, but I just want to point out that without evidence, everybody needs to take these reports with a giant grain of salt

And we can arrange the grains of salt to spell a word, and that word is

P L A C E B O 

Still, I am a firm believer in the power of the placebo affect, and audio quality is, after all, a 100% psychic phenomenon. So pass me the steak knife. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #5,459 of 18,652
confused.gif

popcorn.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #5,460 of 18,652
Just in case anyone was wondering, I sent MP4 Nation an email regarding the status of my DX50+R3 order.
It turns out that they don't have enough stock. So, for most of us who still haven't gotten an order update, we'll be getting the shipment on November 10. In other words, we probably get the 8th batch!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back