The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #5,056 of 18,652
DX50-Quickstep stack:

This sounds so good that it's insane. It shouldn't surprise that the amp built into a $230 DAP cannot compete with Jan' Meier's top of line stand-alone amp. The DX50's amp really isn't bad but the difference in sound quality is not subtle. I can easily point to the much fuller and better controlled bass but the improvement is apparent across all frequencies, and in the detail and timbre. To iBasso's credit, the DX50 has an excellent line out. It is a very good DAP for the money but it is also, without qualifier, a truly fine portable source.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #5,057 of 18,652
Excellent! Great idea and effort.  :beerchug:

(I am not sure though about that adapter that you are linking to. It looks like the microSD has a lengthened hard plug. If so, it won't be very practical to use with the DX50. Also the adapter that I bought is from a good company, Sintech, who make professional gear. There is no way to know in relation to that unbranded generic adapter. It might be the wrong place to save $10.)

There's an "edit" button at the bottom of the FAQ, I was sorta hoping you'd help out :wink:

DX50-Quickstep stack:

This sounds so good that it's insane. It shouldn't surprise that the amp built into a $230 DAP cannot compete with Jan' Meier's top of line stand-alone amp. The DX50's amp really isn't bad but the difference in sound quality is not subtle. I can easily point to the much fuller and better controlled bass but the improvement is apparent across all frequencies, and in the detail and timbre. To iBasso's credit, the DX50 has an excellent line out. It is a very good DAP for the money but it is also, without qualifier, a truly fine portable source.

Waaaaaaant!

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #5,058 of 18,652
There's an "edit" button at the bottom of the FAQ, I was sorta hoping you'd help out :wink:

Ah, I am new to these FAQs.  :)

(I changed the link to the Sintech adapter. Here is the link to the other generic adapter but I would go with the better design and known company.)

Waaaaaaant!

Jan has a Christmas sale on right now. I bought mine during his last summer sale. I saved money by spending money. I think. 
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5,059 of 18,652
I'm afraid that I need to sell my DX100 first, before I can grab a Quickstep. A Danish Head-fi'er has been kind enough to send me his Quickstep so I can try it out myself. Really looking forward to it!

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5,060 of 18,652
  DX50-Quickstep stack:

just wanna know the quickstep or the tralucent t1 is better for the dx50
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #5,062 of 18,652
Interesting. I listened to my DX50 right down to battery-empty power off. (Not on purpose; it just happened.) Now it seems that I have to wait for it to charge for quite a while before I can use it again even plugged in? The green charging graphic is nice...

Edit: Okay, up and running.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #5,063 of 18,652

For people that are looking for amps, here is the DX50 + JDS C5.

I've found that the C5 does, in total, improve the sound of the HO of the DX50. The C5 provides better dynamics, a slightly larger soundstage and a warmer and fuller sound. 
However, pairing this with an already warm sounding IEM/headphone is not recommended. With the BA4f, the sound is a tad too warm, and the C5 kinda glosses over the micro detail. But pair this setup with a slightly bright sounding IEM/headphone and you got yourself a winner. It sounds utterly fantastic with my GMP 8.35D.

I will be selling the C5 (unless burn in changes the sound drastically), and I'm looking that the pico slim amp, and the TTVJ slim amp (the setup needs to fit in my pockets).

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #5,064 of 18,652
I'm loving my DX50 sooooo much, anyone on the fence about the DX50 JUST BUY IT its bloody brilliant, plus we can't have ibasso's latest batch not be sold out before shipping date for the first time :p iBasso seriously deserve a medal for the DX50, they have essentially resolved one of the worlds biggest problems, the lack of widely available, affordable, outstanding quality portable DAPs. The DX50 ends that sad era and sets a standard that I think no one will beat at this price in the near future, that is until ibaso unleash their next DAP :p

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5,067 of 18,652
you all have such nice short interconnects, mine are all like a half inch too long. can anyone recommend one that would go well with the DX50 and C&C BH2?

I sure can, I would personally recommend pure silver to open up that narrow stage a little more and lift the tonality a touch cooler. BH amp will already widen the stage and create air however adding a silver cable I found took that a notch further. We're able to buy pure silver cables like the one pictured below, you can have length made any size you like (within reason) or add right angle jacks. The seller is on eBay and offers very competitive prices (about $35 USD shipped for pure silver) he also does SPC /copper and some other mixes with mundorf gold.

Here's his eBay profile: http://myworld.ebay.com.au/onest11/&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2754

He doesn't have them listed, you need to msg him and ask.

If you're interested tell him H20 from Head-fi sent you. it's the same cable I used on my DX50/BH rig before selling recently.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #5,068 of 18,652

I sure can, I would personally recommend pure silver to open up that narrow stage a little more and lift the tonality a touch cooler. BH amp will already widen the stage however adding a silver cable I found took that a notch further. We're able to buy pure silver cables like the one pictured below and you can have length made any size you like (within reason) or add right angle jacks. The sellers on eBay and offers very competitive prices (about $35 USD shipped) (he does SPC /copper and some other options with mundorf gold)

Here's his eBay profile: http://myworld.ebay.com.au/onest11/&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2754

He doesn't have them listed, you need to msg him and ask.

If you're interested tell him H20 from Head-fi sent you. it's the same cable I used on my DX50/BH rig before selling recently.

Thanks H20 this is exactly what I'm looking for, and at a great price!

EDIT: I'm in the states tho, it shipping going to be different?

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #5,069 of 18,652
just wanna know the quickstep or the tralucent t1 is better for the dx50:wink:

I don't think you can call one or the other "best", as both are excellent performers. It will depend on personal preference. For the ultimate in tiny, the RSA Shadow is also an excellent choice.

All that being said, the D12 via coax input is a stellar performer and can easily be customized by rolling opamps.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #5,070 of 18,652
hey guys i just got my DX50 today. it came with a 1.0.0 version. ive tried lots of methods but still cant get it to connect to my PC. turned it on before plugging in the usb and i still get USB not recgonized. placed the 1.2.2 img file in the microSD and insert it into the dx50 i dont get to see any system update on the advanced tab even after resetting it.

Any suggestions? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back