The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,581 of 18,652
I personally don't believe in burn-in... I attribute it to the listener getting used to the sound. I commented previously, having had the device for a day or two that the sound was sharp and quite sibilant. Well, having had it for a while, I can safely say that I no longer think the same way.

I came from a Cowon J3, and the sound from it is quite warm, and when played now against my DX50, it can sound a bit muddy and less detailed. The unfortunate problem with the DX50, and with all deeply-resolving audiophile products, is that bad mixes will sound *****. For instance, 3 Doors Down's 'Citizen - Soldier' has unfortunate wording, giving three sibilant sounds in a row. This is highly noticeable to me because the DX50 has a sharper (in a good way) high end than the J3. The J3 seems to round off these sounds - compared to the DX50 it can sound a little muddy, but it also reduces the attack of the sibilant sounds. Well mixed songs won't have any trouble, and I love the sound on most of my songs - only a few with unfortunate wording or certain singers can get fatiguing.

The vocals really shine on the DX50. With the J3, the separation isn't fantastic, but the DX50 gives it power and verve. You can hear his voice as if it were being played inside a recording booth. I'll post a full review sometime.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2,582 of 18,652
Am thinking of upgrading my IEM. I listen mostly to jazz, ambient / chill and occasionally rock. Will use my DX50 more than my DX100. Which IEM would you think would be suitable? Appreciate any response.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,583 of 18,652
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,585 of 18,652
Am thinking of upgrading my IEM. I listen mostly to jazz, ambient / chill and occasionally rock. Will use my DX50 more than my DX100. Which IEM would you think would be suitable? Appreciate any response.

Stating your budget would help a good deal 
wink.gif

Also, tap into the motherlode of IEM reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-295-iems-compared-vsonic-vc1000-added-09-03-13-p-760

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,586 of 18,652
The DX100 is very good, but using IEMs I wouldn't say it easily beats the DX50... On some tracks, the imaging is better, with a larger soundstage from the DX100 but it's not like it's a "night and day" difference or anything like that. 

Quite a statement, fortunately I use iems more than headphones so in a way that makes me feel good for the purchase. Thanks for your honest opinion.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,587 of 18,652
I just tried the iPhone 5S and 5C yesterday and they do sound warm compared to the DX50. Noticeably warmer but no less enjoyable. In fact, I thought the iPhones were performing pretty well compared to the DX50! The iPhones do produce some interference to the sound when the screen is in use, especially when scrolling.

The new iPhones are definitely much better sounding than an iPod touch and iPod nano though, which I thought is strange since those were supposed to be music playing devices....

If I had one of those iPhones (5S/5C/5) I don't think I would pay to get a DX50 for the little bit of improvement in sound if the iPhone can already drive my IEMs sufficiently.

I understand, I did not sample any of the new iPhones yet but my iPhone 5 sounds pretty terrific, it was my on the go gear but truly the DX50 is way better than my iPhone 5. I don't think the sound chip on the new ones are any different that the 5, I guess I'll find out soon. I respect your choice maybe for you it isn't worth it but for me squeezing sq is a trek now, I just have limits on how much my wallet is allowed to shrink, otherwise bring on the sq! :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,588 of 18,652
Quite a statement, fortunately I use iems more than headphones so in a way that makes me feel good for the purchase. Thanks for your honest opinion.

The DX100 is a bit more "open" sounding but they are very, very close. A stellar example of The Law Of Diminishing Returns!

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #2,589 of 18,652
Sep 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,591 of 18,652

I thought that it was only speculative that Fiio X3 will get a firmware upgrade enabling USB DAC, and ever officially announced/confirmed. That being said, I sure hope iBasso does enable USB DAC too. What's iBasso's support email?

I was wondering whether iBasso will turn this into a USB DAC like Fiio are doing. If they do, this will be an even better DAP than it already is. I might email iBasso about this. 

I've already asked them twice, don't bother...

Hi,  
Will iBasso update DX50 firmware with USB DAC feature?

regards,
David

iBasso Audio
Sep 10
cleardot.gif

​
 ​

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
The DX50 cant work as a USB DAC.

Sincerely

profile_mask2.png

​
 ​
 ​
to iBasso
cleardot.gif

Thank you for the reply,
I know the DX50 can't work as a USB DAC now, but is it possible in the future for a new firmware that will enable the DX50 to work as a USB DAC? 
Or is the hardware in the DX50 technically impossible for a firmware update to give the USB DAC feature?
Regards
David

iBasso Audio
Sep 10
cleardot.gif

​
 ​

Hi,

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,592 of 18,652
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,593 of 18,652

I've already asked them twice, don't bother...

Hi,  
Will iBasso update DX50 firmware with USB DAC feature?

regards,
David

iBasso Audio
Sep 10
cleardot.gif

​
 ​

Hi,

Sincerely

profile_mask2.png

​
 ​
 ​
to iBasso
cleardot.gif

Thank you for the reply,
I know the DX50 can't work as a USB DAC now, but is it possible in the future for a new firmware that will enable the DX50 to work as a USB DAC? 
Or is the hardware in the DX50 technically impossible for a firmware update to give the USB DAC feature?
Regards
David

iBasso Audio
Sep 10
cleardot.gif

​
 ​

Hi,

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Fiio have somewhat committed to making X3 an USB DAC. The announcement was made in Fiio's FB page at 11:23am, 17th September. I've emailed iBasso about this confirmation and somehow made them put on their thinking cap. Below is their reply.

Hi,
Thank you for your information.
We will take your suggestion into consideration.

Sincerely
cleardot.gif

iBasso Audio

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,594 of 18,652
Looking for IEMs below USD 1000
wink.gif

I would say it depends on your preference for how you like your audio to sound!  but I can only recommend my own favourite IEM, the Grado GR10 - they are such a joy to listen to. I have had some amazing laugh out loud moments at the quality these IEMs have. Grado has this magical ability to put you right there on the stage or in the studio with the performers :) Personally I will not be looking for any other IEMs as I feel 100% happy with the Grado GR10's

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,595 of 18,652

Fiio have somewhat committed to making X3 an USB DAC. The announcement was made in Fiio's FB page at 11:23am, 17th September. I've emailed iBasso about this confirmation and somehow made them put on their thinking cap. Below is their reply.

Hi,
Thank you for your information.
We will take your suggestion into consideration.

Sincerely
cleardot.gif

iBasso Audio

oh lol, good to know! thanks for that. i really hope they'll push out USB DAC functionality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back