The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,163 of 18,652
I can hear a pop/click sound from the DX50 itself, even without any headphones inserted. Both when the DX50 turns on and turns off.

Do you get that too?

I noticed this too! I thought I was hearing things but I heard a click coming from inside the player and not from the headphones when I turn it on or off...what could it be? 
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #2,166 of 18,652
A question about the 3x Gain settings
Do each of these settings simply 'add' a certain db of 'volume' or are they similar to a Microphone Gain setting on a mixing desk which increases the sensitivity of the microphone so that it picks up [in effect] more frequencies?
I'm basically unsure of the exact nature and function of the gain settings
or example, instead of clicking to gain3 (the loudest) would it be exactly the same if I simply turned up the volume by the same amount or is there a definite difference in functions here? 

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2,167 of 18,652
To give the desired flavor. Maybe the amps they are using are better than the DX50s internal amp sections as well which in turn improves the sound quality. If their IEMs are resolving enough to scale up even higher than the provided amp section. I see no reason not to. But it does defeat the purpose of the unit being portable and that I can agree on.

I played with a bunch of "premium" amps at my local jaben earlier with a friend who also downgraded to dx50 and the only ones we feel we like it amped with are: International, sr71b, intruder, pico power, mass kobo 385.

Some amp I think made it sounded worse for me: kojo km01, rx mk3, and vorzampduo.

Best of the bunch is the mass kobo but even with that I don't feel the change is significant enough to justify the bulk. My friend tho decided the International works for him.

(IEMs used are 1p2 and 334)

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,168 of 18,652
Report:

iBasso DX50 1.1.6 Firmware.

I hear hiss with my Fitear 111, very low, like gain-sound from an amp, but very low, my jdslab cmoy even sound more worse than this, so I think its normal, BUT it will be better if the hiss gone and the player dead silent, LOL.

Regarding hiss, some people find that it goes down as you increase the gain whereas others find that there is absolutely no hiss whatsoever on any gain settings.... Are there many here other than sorensiim who are in the
latter camp? I cannot stand hissing and heck even the clip + is silent.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #2,170 of 18,652
Regarding hiss, some people find that it goes down as you increase the gain whereas others find that there is absolutely no hiss whatsoever on any gain settings.... Are there many here other than sorensiim who are in the
latter camp? I cannot stand hissing and heck even the clip + is silent.

Ah, I forget about that, will try later, I'am at crowd place now...

I played with a bunch of "premium" amps at my local jaben earlier with a friend who also downgraded to dx50 and the only ones we feel we like it amped with are: International, sr71b, intruder, pico power, mass kobo 385.

Some amp I think made it sounded worse for me: kojo km01, rx mk3, and vorzampduo.

Best of the bunch is the mass kobo but even with that I don't feel the change is significant enough to justify the bulk. My friend tho decided the International works for him.

(IEMs used are 1p2 and 334)

Do you have iBasso D12 or DB2-PB2 (Combo)? iBasso said coaxial of DX50 works good.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,171 of 18,652
 I cannot stand hissing and heck even the clip + is silent.

LOL.  There is DEFINITELY hiss from the Clip+.  It may be a bit quieter at normal listening levels than the DX50, but it's definitely there.  Just turn up the volume and you'll hear it clear as day. 

Keep in mind that we are talking about very suble amounts of background noise/hiss here.  It's entirely possible that it's so low you cannot even hear it with your chosen iems (and your own hearing). 

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,172 of 18,652
HISS.....!?

Has to be the most overblown non-issue for the DX50 and THAT it is what everyone is talking about in the past 5 pages.

I can pick up VERY SLIGHT hiss with my noise-hiss detector TG334 when playing a SILENCE track and none of my other IEMs pick up any.  And definitely cannot hear these with ANY music. 

Either I'm listening to hiss only at TOO LOW VOLUME (read - real volume we listen to music), or kids/old men these days actually listen to music twice or thrice the volume I do.....

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,173 of 18,652
My T-PEOS H-200 are known for background hiss, this was present with the Rocco BA and Colorfly C3. I get no more on DX50 than those two players. Considering the internal amp section I find DX50 rather well behaved. No complaints here on that topic. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,174 of 18,652
  HISS.....!?

Has to be the most overblown non-issue for the DX50 and THAT it is what everyone is talking about in the past 5 pages.

I can pick up VERY SLIGHT hiss with my noise-hiss detector TG334 when playing a SILENCE track and none of my other IEMs pick up any.  And definitely cannot hear these with ANY music. 

Either I'm listening to hiss only at TOO LOW VOLUME (read - real volume we listen to music), or kids/old men these days actually listen to music twice or thrice the volume I do.....

When Play = No Hiss

only while pause/no play music with volume raised I can notice it with My Fitear 111, but very low

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,175 of 18,652
  HISS.....!?

The thing is wouldn't hiss only be an issue for low volume listening? I mean for me that is, if a player hisses it would generally be an issue with music that is very dynamic and you have quiet passages.  Now if you're blasting your player to begin with I just don't see this being an issue as the music is too loud anyways to let you hear hiss. Unless its hiss from the recording itself. Regarding the high volume listening comment. Well many people do listen to music way too loud to be considered safe. I think its 1 in 5 that is damaging their hearing on average due to this. Although I feel that figure it too conservative from what I've seen at least....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back