The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #18,047 of 18,652

I’ve been running SU 1.3.3 since it was produced, but recently installed the new firmware 1.9.4.  When I tried to play 24bit 192kHz files I get the problem described above ... either a hang or reboot after between 1 and 4 minutes.  There are no issues for me playing FLAC 16bit 44.1kHz or lower bit rate mp3.  I tried re-installing the firmware with the Factory Tool, but the problem persisted.  I’ve also tried installing the previous firmware 1.9.3, and I get the same issue.  Returning to 1.3.3, the problem disappears, and the files play as they should.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #18,049 of 18,652
Does the latest f/w version V1.9.4 (24-Jan-16) change the sound signature of DX50 comparing to the previous version?

IMHO, a bit more transparent and detailed with maybe a bit more bass and no sibilance. Liked it more than 1.9.2-3, and this version reminds of 1.8 much more.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #18,051 of 18,652
Is DX50's internal amp good enough to provide a good sound for 150 ohm earbud like Yuin PK1 or Ve Asura 2.0?

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. If anything you can bump the DX50 into medium or high gain. My gut feeling says you'll be ok with medium gain.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #18,052 of 18,652
Hi Guys

I read on another site, iBasso has added the ability to use the DX50 as a USB DAC. Is that true/correct?

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #18,053 of 18,652
Is DX50's internal amp good enough to provide a good sound for 150 ohm earbud like Yuin PK1 or Ve Asura 2.0?

I'm used to the sound signature and power from the fiio E12a. I prefer it quite a lot vs the internal amp in the dx50. I drive shure se425, 535, sony's ex600, fiio ex1, senns hd25 and just adjusting the gain on the e12a it adapt very well. The dx50 lacks on power although can be very loud

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #18,055 of 18,652
Hi everyone,

i'm following this great forum for a long time. I've never registered because i've always found an answer to my questions here but not this time 
bigsmile_face.gif
I bought the dx50 one year ago with the pre-installed firmware 1.50 and I was happy with that since i tried to use it as a USB DAC  with ubuntu/xubuntu. It worked perfectly with 1.50/win7 but I've read that the older firm doesn't work with linux (until1.9.3) so today i've upgraded my dx50 with the last 1.9.4. The process ended OK, from the update to the factory reset, etc etc, i'm listening my dx50 right now (it has a different sound compared to 1.50. It seems "rounder", less "raw": I really liked how 1.50 sounded, I was really satisfied but this 1.9.4 seems to be a step forward to me, even the instrument separation seems better)

Here my doubts/problems:

1 USB MODE: STORAGE: everything works fine with win7 (really?? strange
biggrin.gif
), the problem is with the pc with ubuntu 15.10 installed: it's not able to recognize the dx50. Instead the older pc with xubuntu LTS 14.04 is ok (even if it's not able to read the sandisk microsd 64gb in it but it's not that problem).
2 USB MODE: DAC USB: again, win7 is ok (?? unbelievable), after the driver installation I select "DAC (Windows)" in the dx50 and everything is fine. Instead, I'm not able to select "DAC (Linux/Mac)" in the dx50 so i'm not able to try it as a DAC, even with xubuntu. When I press "DAC (Linux/Mac)" the option is highlighted but there's no way to select it, the flag always goes back to the top to "Storage". Is anyone having the same issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Last question: if I want to try some older firmwares to see if they work can I use the same upgrade instruction to "downgrade" to older firmware? (for example: can I install the old 1.9.3 over the 1.9.4 without issues following the upgrade instructions?) if I want to try a modded firmware (like SU from dmitri based on the old 1.6) is it possible to install over a newer version without problems? i've read about Rockbox but i don't want to use it, it uses a dual boot modded firm and I don't want to get things too complicated

many thanks for your help and sorry for the long post
biggrin.gif

Good afternoon
L3000.gif
gs1000.gif

Poz83

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #18,056 of 18,652
Thanks. How the speed of the device in like scanning/updating the list of files?

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #18,058 of 18,652
  Hi everyone,

i'm following this great forum for a long time. I've never registered because i've always found an answer to my questions here but not this time 
bigsmile_face.gif
I bought the dx50 one year ago with the pre-installed firmware 1.50 and I was happy with that since i tried to use it as a USB DAC  with ubuntu/xubuntu. It worked perfectly with 1.50/win7 but I've read that the older firm doesn't work with linux (until1.9.3) so today i've upgraded my dx50 with the last 1.9.4. The process ended OK, from the update to the factory reset, etc etc, i'm listening my dx50 right now (it has a different sound compared to 1.50. It seems "rounder", less "raw": I really liked how 1.50 sounded, I was really satisfied but this 1.9.4 seems to be a step forward to me, even the instrument separation seems better)

Here my doubts/problems:

1 USB MODE: STORAGE: everything works fine with win7 (really?? strange
biggrin.gif
), the problem is with the pc with ubuntu 15.10 installed: it's not able to recognize the dx50. Instead the older pc with xubuntu LTS 14.04 is ok (even if it's not able to read the sandisk microsd 64gb in it but it's not that problem).
2 USB MODE: DAC USB: again, win7 is ok (?? unbelievable), after the driver installation I select "DAC (Windows)" in the dx50 and everything is fine. Instead, I'm not able to select "DAC (Linux/Mac)" in the dx50 so i'm not able to try it as a DAC, even with xubuntu. When I press "DAC (Linux/Mac)" the option is highlighted but there's no way to select it, the flag always goes back to the top to "Storage". Is anyone having the same issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Last question: if I want to try some older firmwares to see if they work can I use the same upgrade instruction to "downgrade" to older firmware? (for example: can I install the old 1.9.3 over the 1.9.4 without issues following the upgrade instructions?) if I want to try a modded firmware (like SU from dmitri based on the old 1.6) is it possible to install over a newer version without problems? i've read about Rockbox but i don't want to use it, it uses a dual boot modded firm and I don't want to get things too complicated

many thanks for your help and sorry for the long post
biggrin.gif

Good afternoon
L3000.gif
gs1000.gif

Poz83

Windows 7 seems to be the only OS that has little or no issue.
Your going to run into issues with Linux, it acts goofy with Windows 10.
Yes you should be able to replace 1.9.4 with 1.9.3.
I don't use it as a dac because I have three dacs..
Good luck
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #18,060 of 18,652
I take it you aren't happy with the update? :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back