The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 2, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #15,346 of 18,652
  Dear all,

I'm looking for a good portable amplifier for my DX50. My setup is composed by DX 50 + Westone UM Pro 30 + Hifiman HE400 + Senn HD598. I've got a Matrix M-stage V2 as desktop amp with opa 627 and it sounds damn good (especially as clarity). 

Now to be honest I just want to buy some new stuff since it's a long time since my last upgrade and I'm seeking for something new but not expensive.

I was undecided between a new dap (like X1 - but I wasn't sure about it as my dx 50 it's perfect for my needs) and a portable amp (I'm more interested in this as I don't have any portable amp).

Now my concern is.. which one could be an improvement over the dx50 internal amp? I was thinking to buy an iBasso's portable amp from their site or from Mp4 nation or maybe a FiiO which can be bought also in my country (Italy) trough Amazon. 

Any suggestion? there's any dedicated thread?

Thank you all

JDS Labs C5 is a good option which fits perfectly with the DX50 which won't break the bank either.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #15,347 of 18,652
 Dear all,

I'm looking for a good portable amplifier for my DX50. My setup is composed by DX 50 + Westone UM Pro 30 + Hifiman HE400 + Senn HD598. I've got a Matrix M-stage V2 as desktop amp with opa 627 and it sounds damn good (especially as clarity). 

Now to be honest I just want to buy some new stuff since it's a long time since my last upgrade and I'm seeking for something new but not expensive.

I was undecided between a new dap (like X1 - but I wasn't sure about it as my dx 50 it's perfect for my needs) and a portable amp (I'm more interested in this as I don't have any portable amp).

Now my concern is.. which one could be an improvement over the dx50 internal amp? I was thinking to buy an iBasso's portable amp from their site or from Mp4 nation or maybe a FiiO which can be bought also in my country (Italy) trough Amazon. 

Any suggestion? there's any dedicated thread?

Thank you all

JDS Labs C5 is a good option which fits perfectly with the DX50 which won't break the bank either.

It Looks interesting, do you know where I can buy it?

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #15,348 of 18,652
It Looks interesting, do you know where I can buy it?

JDS Labs: http://www.jdslabs.com/

They're good amps.

Once I bolted a JDS C421 to my DX50 I never looked back (C421 is discontinued though) so you want C5. I can tell you putting an amp with DX50 is the better solution for maximum sound increase over an X1.

This isn't to say the FiiO X1 is a bad player because it's actually VERY good for the price.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #15,352 of 18,652
Thank you! I don't want to go off topic but, how do you compare Jds and fiio E12?

Didn't like the E12 and DX50 pairing because the size different irritates me :3

As for sound, the E12 is warmer but with a bigger bass boost iirc. Don't remember anything other than that, sorry.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #15,354 of 18,652
But will they ship worldwide? I live in Italy..

Yes, they do. I've ordered from them a CMoy with some op amps once and I'm living in France...

Otherwise, Trasam HA1 is also a very good (and less pricey) choice for a DX50 imho, very "neutral", "transparent", etc and it has a rollable op amp!
But I think C5 is technically better...

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #15,355 of 18,652
But will they ship worldwide? I live in Italy..

Yes, they do. I've ordered from them a CMoy with some op amps once and I'm living in France...

Otherwise, Trasam HA1 is also a very good (and less pricey) choice for a DX50 imho, very "neutral", "transparent", etc and it has a rollable op amp!
But I think C5 is technically better...

Thank you,

I will read specific reviews of both amp prior to buy something. :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #15,356 of 18,652
Tried to install the USB DAC driver, failed and it still shows rk2928sdk.. 
confused.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #15,357 of 18,652
Did You try to install drivers manually through device manager? And just to be sure, did You put your DX50 into DAC mode?

Anyone has idea about which out of those have largest soundstage (great depth towards front) and tight bass?

1) Trasam HA1
2) Breeze Audio E13
3) SMSL SAP-7
4) SMSL SAP-5 (2014)
5) Topping NX1
6) Phiree EA1

Searching for cheap headphone amplifier for my DX50 + Fidelio X1 and I do not want amp that makes soundstage smaller (front depth closer) and makes bass looser.
Or there aren`t much to expect from those amps and go for little more expensive stuff like JDS C5 or Cayin C5 ?

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #15,358 of 18,652
Anyone know if iBasso has in plan to release a new firmware? I want to remove these annoying interruptions of sound that I have when reproducing a new a track. I don't want to downgrade to other firmware since I'm using it also as DAC

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #15,359 of 18,652
First try other mSD card because some users have experienced such thing with some cards while others are ok. And some had problems with Sandisk cards.
And if You don`t care about gapless then I really recommend to try SU 1.3.3 @ FLAC-only mode. Though using it on lossy-mode should make gapless work since it`s based on 1.5.0 FW and lossy-mode is also littlebit tweaked to better sounding.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #15,360 of 18,652
Okay, managed to get them installed, identified as Mango USB interface and iBasso Mango HiFi Audio Device. What's next? Tried to use foobar2000 but it says some error with ASIO.

Just got a BSOD when doubke click ASIO for all in foorbar2000 output sertings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back