The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #796 of 1,154
I have RU6 - RU7 - Hip DAC Gold Edition and Mojo 2, but the Elite is incredible!!

I'm amazed and incredulous at how such a superb sound can come out of something so small!!!
I wonder if they will still be able to evolve further in terms of sound in something so small.

Is it normal to want to buy another one when there are promotions just to save it to use for many years?
That's the feeling I get when listening to music in this little wonder!

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #798 of 1,154
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the audio hobby. I've been using the DC03 Pro with the Tangzu Zetian Wu Heyday IEM and it's an amazing experience. Someone mentioned that using a balanced output takes the Heyday to a new level so I've been considering upgrading to the 04 Pro, 06 Pro, or DC Elite. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one would pair best with the Heyday? I heard that the DC06 Pro would not be good with a bright IEM. I don't consider the Heyday to be too far on the bright side, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Not sure if you have already made a purchase but I also have and love the DC03 Pro, tried the DC04 Pro and DC06 Pro. To my ears, DC06 Pro is like a supercharged DC03 Pro. Better resolution/detail, better control over the drivers on the headphone/IEM. I highly recommend it.

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #799 of 1,154
Sold out my Ibasso Dc Elite, SQ wise it was straight no match for mid-daps or even pushed above some of Totl of them but due to the fact of being on my phone when listening to music and being constantly interrapted, nah dongles are not for me I need a DAP will be Ibasso Dx300 equally Good in SQ or Shanling M3ultra or Fiio M11 plus Ess, please help me I need to hardwire to my New Mest MK II in a few Days, :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #800 of 1,154
Sold out my Ibasso Dc Elite, SQ wise it was straight no match for mid-daps or even pushed above some of Totl of them but due to the fact of being on my phone when listening to music and being constantly interrapted, nah dongles are not for me I need a DAP will be Ibasso Dx300 equally Good in SQ or Shanling M3ultra or Fiio M11 plus Ess, please help me I need to hardwire to my New Mest MK II in a few Days, :)
I think it very much depends on your preferences for sound and budget.
Best bet if you liked DC Elite is either DX320 or DX320 Max imho

As Mest MK2 is an old iteration, I loved it paired with Shanling M8 but that DAP is long outdated meanwhile and also known to have its own hardware and software quirks.
It's also a totally different sound signature leaning to warm and velvety sound with punchy Midbass

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #801 of 1,154
@FooFighter I saw that you are also on the D16 thread and I was thinking of asking you if it is really on another planet compared to the Dc-Elite or in some way they can be compared. Given that I imagine it has a more compatible sound with a RU7/N7. Thank you

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #802 of 1,154
@FooFighter I saw that you are also on the D16 thread and I was thinking of asking you if it is really on another planet compared to the Dc-Elite or in some way they can be compared. Given that I imagine it has a more compatible sound with a RU7/N7. Thank you
Indeed I see it in the RU7/N7 camp and these are regarding signature rather complementary vs DC Elite imho.
I will have a local headfier meet up next Saturday and will try to compare against my former N30LE, DX300 Max etc and then try to get a better opinion about it but so far I see D16 indeed at some N7 level with different more even tuning (Cayin has its own house sound)

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #803 of 1,154
In your opinion. That is what we have, our opinion. And may differ from yours on sound and value of the DC-Elite. It could be your age and ears. There are many variables among all of us.
there is a little thing left aside, as blueA listened to the devices side by side, while Rigato "had" the daps and does compare memories to the elite. we all know how the audio memory system works, so a side by side comparison is much more trustworthy in my books.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #804 of 1,154
Good find. DX300 owner here but I baby it and it rarely leaves the house. Not sure if I’d use a dongle or not with my iphone regularly but I’m interested in trying. This is a good way to test out before going all in on an elite.
there is a nice yt reviewer called andysaudiovault that has a series called dongle madness and he did extensively compare all the named dongles and came to the conclusion, that the elite is good and slightly better than the smaller dongles but you probably wont hear that much of an advantage when not A/B testing

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #805 of 1,154
Indeed I see it in the RU7/N7 camp and these are regarding signature rather complementary vs DC Elite imho.
I will have a local headfier meet up next Saturday and will try to compare against my former N30LE, DX300 Max etc and then try to get a better opinion about it but so far I see D16 indeed at some N7 level with different more even tuning (Cayin has its own house sound)
you mean the show in Heidelberg?

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #806 of 1,154
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #807 of 1,154
Everyone can freely have their opinion... and mine is that the DC-Elite, especially if you provide it with an adequate power supply (PulWtop hub step-down switching) as well as an equally adequate amplification (in my case RA2BFE) rivals the best DAPs without too many problems. But as I wrote in the introduction this is just my opinion.

elitera2bfe.jpg
every single reviewer like for example the very experienced currawong or iiWi Reviews, soundnews, andysaudiovault and others that do serious testing instead of marketing shows came to the conclusion, that the ru7 is good and has a special sound to it, that might attract more than dongles with mass dac chips but from a soundquality perspective, technicalities and what not still cannot compare to the custom dacboard and discreet circuits and power of the mojo2 which still is one of the best dacs under 1k even compared to desktop devices. i dont even own one, so i am not a fanboy at all but if you bring their elite reviews in perspective to the earlier comparisons it will still have hard times challenging, specially i dont see the advantages of a dongle in settings like in the picture above. if someone likes a special signature of a device it is a whole other story, and might for sure justifi the device, but objectivley speaking its all nuances, that pretty much go along with prices. as always there are devices with better and devices with soso value. in the end it doesnt matter anymore how good or bad a device is, if it makes one happy, everything went perfectly well.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #809 of 1,154
Not sure if you have already made a purchase but I also have and love the DC03 Pro, tried the DC04 Pro and DC06 Pro. To my ears, DC06 Pro is like a supercharged DC03 Pro. Better resolution/detail, better control over the drivers on the headphone/IEM. I highly recommend it.
if i rember correctly andysaudiovault came to a similar conclusion in his testing of the ibasso dongles

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #810 of 1,154
every single reviewer like for example the very experienced currawong or iiWi Reviews, soundnews, andysaudiovault and others that do serious testing instead of marketing shows came to the conclusion, that the ru7 is good and has a special sound to it, that might attract more than dongles with mass dac chips but from a soundquality perspective, technicalities and what not still cannot compare to the custom dacboard and discreet circuits and power of the mojo2 which still is one of the best dacs under 1k even compared to desktop devices. i dont even own one, so i am not a fanboy at all but if you bring their elite reviews in perspective to the earlier comparisons it will still have hard times challenging, specially i dont see the advantages of a dongle in settings like in the picture above. if someone likes a special signature of a device it is a whole other story, and might for sure justifi the device, but objectivley speaking its all nuances, that pretty much go along with prices. as always there are devices with better and devices with soso value. in the end it doesnt matter anymore how good or bad a device is, if it makes one happy, everything went perfectly well.
I don't really understand the point... I'm also not a fan-boy otherwise I wouldn't have bought all the dongles I have and am satisfied with. Trying the various sound signatures of the various companies without spending unattainable sums was truly a miracle for me, now I'm waiting for the Astell & Kern AK HC4 to arrive, so I will also try the Astell & Kern signature without spending thousands of euros. I find myself a lot in Andy's reviews (donglemadness) but like all the other reviewers and like all of us he too has his own sound signature preferences, preferring the more analogue one compared to the more hifi one (as he defines it). What you see in the photo is the (very successful) attempt to get the best they can offer from the various dongles, that's all. Basically I only use the DAC of the dongle because I replaced both the power supply and the amplification part at a low cost. For obvious reasons power and amplification are the two weakest parts of all dongles and are limitations that can be worked around if you know how. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back